Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Vertical Placement of RBR50 and RBS50's

rsisson
Aspirant

Vertical Placement of RBR50 and RBS50's

We have a SMALL cottage house. Maybe 60 x 60' with 3 floors.

The Orbi Base is in the Basement, centrally located.

We set up the first Satellite in the Attic, about 40' Straight up

The Attic backhaul has a POOR signal, but it is only 40' away.

We have limited ability move the Satellite and base around, so we added the 2nd Satellite in the middle, it is 20' straight up, and it is 20' from the other Satellite.

Performance at the far end is Spotty, with the Satellite occasionally dropping off completely.

Suggestions Please 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

a small cottage home may only need the one router if you can get the main router out of the basement.

30 feet is a good starting distance from base router to satellite. However building materials impact this.

You could try Daisy chaining the two satellites and see if this improves anything.

Message 2 of 8
GadgetVirtuoso2
Apprentice

Make sure you're not placing the units on top of each other, you need to offset them. Radio waves from the antennas emit signals out from the unit but directly above and below the units are probably the weakest points. This is why Netgear recommends the router and satellites should be positioned in a zigzag pattern.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

It might help to give more explanation.  60x60 seems like 3,600 sq. ft. per floor. NOT what I would call "small".  What does "three floors" mean?  (Does that include the basement and attic, or are they in addition to the three floors?)  I would not put an access point on an elevation totally above or below any WiFi devices.  Do the attic and basement have network devices?  Does the network connection enter in the basement and it would be difficult to extend it to the 1st floor?  Building construction is a serious consideration.  Concrete, stone, lath & plaster, etc. degrade WiFi signals, especially 5G that the backhaul uses.

I agree that the quickest and simplest thing is to daisy chain the two satellites and "offset" them so that the middle unit is not directly above or below the others.

Message 4 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Maybe try simply laying the Orbi’s on their faces.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I had thought of placing the ORBI's on their face, but figured in no time at all someone would come along and say, "Hey, this thing fell over." and stand them up again.  Seriously, that might improve the backhaul signal level, but might also ruin the client WiFi signal pattern.  Would be simple to try and see.

Message 6 of 8
rsisson
Aspirant

Thanks to all the people who replied.  We moved the Satellite 4' off-center, and we now have "Goof" signal Strength

May have to have the satalite hangout in the hall, but thats better than having a cable down the hall, the stairs, around the corner and down another set of stairs...

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. I presume Goof signal is just as good as Good signal. LOL.Smiley Tongue

I would not place the satelilites on there faces. Verticle is recommended to allow for the ambient air flow from bottom to top for air cooling. Wouldn't want the units to over heat or die due to heat issues.

@rsisson wrote:

Thanks to all the people who replied.  We moved the Satellite 4' off-center, and we now have "Goof" signal Strength

May have to have the satalite hangout in the hall, but thats better than having a cable down the hall, the stairs, around the corner and down another set of stairs...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7