Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very disapointed with Orbi parental controls

will79
Initiate

Very disapointed with Orbi parental controls

Just set up Orbi wifi. As stated above I cannot believe how bad the parental controls are. It's like a router from 10 years ago, not able to set time schedules for individual users and devices. I'm very sad I didn't due enough research. Not good enough in a device this expensive.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 17
PogiBalut
Initiate

Re: Very disapointed with Orbi parental controls

I agree where are the timers on the parental controls or guest controls? I May have return this Obri to Cos

tco for refund

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 17
st_shaw
Master

Netgear says parental controls via Disney Circle are coming soon in a firmware update. I have no information on when, but Netgear announced this about 2-3 weeks ago, and Netgear says very soon.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/11/16/16664824/netgear-disney-circle-routers

Message 3 of 17
will79
Initiate

Ok thanks for letting us know. Still think it's a bit rich to outsource this service to Disney Circle for a subscription fee (premium - internet scheduling). Lets hope the Orbi blows me away with its wifi performance.....

Message 4 of 17
MrBritton
Initiate

Yes, it's a horrible, horrible mess. Between the orbi app, the genie app on my phone, the genie app on my mac, plus OpenDNS (not to mention the orbi router web UI!), one has to jump around and log into different things to try and figure out what can, and cannot (mostly cannot) be done.

For instance, I'd like to have a different filtering level for my guest network. Is this possible? I don't see how.

I'd like to limit my kid's access from his 4 devices to certain times of the day, but allow me or my wife to easily relax the restriction when desired. Again, doubtful, but I dont really want to get back into all the UIs and try to figure it out.

Message 5 of 17
joebialk
Initiate

This system is not cheap.

Previously the parental controls were pretty decent. 

I need to control the days of the week and times that my children can access the network. 

I have a son that likes to sneaks onto video games late at night with his phone or playstation. A system as advanced as ORBI should allow a parent to control their child's days and times of access. 

The fact you have taken this feature away and now use an app to charge is Lame!  Unless this is changed, I will not be purchasing NETGEAR products again. Not recommending your products!

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Do your router model have the Disney Circle feature? You might look in to this. 

Message 7 of 17
bobbarkerr
Initiate

I cannot believe you cannot time restrict specific computers.  I am taking mine back.

Message 8 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Bobbarkerr

You can restrict specific devices using the Disney Circle built into Orbi.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 17
joebialk
Initiate

Yea... but you have to pay more money for the app.

This is ridiculous!

Message 10 of 17
Jeffrey0707
Guide

The Orbi is one of the most expensive routers on the market, albeit with high-end functionality. Unfortunately, however, with the introduction of the firmware v 2.1.1.12, parental controls beyond basic filtering cost an additional $4.99 per month via Disney Circle (http://www.netgear.co.uk/landings/circle/). Even as I write this, I cannot believe that Netgear is expecting its customers to pay for functionality that other manufacturers include as standard.  Shame on you NetGear - Shame on you!!

Message 11 of 17
Manuelgonzalez1
Initiate

I agree, I will NOT be purchasing the orbi again. I spent a crazy amount of money for the router and now that want a monthly fee for a subscription. What a rip off.
Message 12 of 17

agree.

If you researched non-NETGEAR parental controls, please post your experience. 

I desperately need to distinguish weekend from weekday and opendns does not have that.

Message 13 of 17
Manuelgonzalez1
Initiate

Looks like they blocked out most of your message.
Message 14 of 17

@Jeffrey0707 wrote:

Even as I write this, I cannot believe that Netgear is expecting its customers to pay for functionality that other manufacturers include as standard. 

Netgear offers two levels of parental controls, free and paid for (Circle).

Compare their features and pick the one that suits you – and your wallet!

There is a manual for the Orbi WiFi System somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Set Up Parental Controls.

By the way, Netgear is not the only hardware maker that uses Circle technology.

Message 15 of 17
DexterSG
Aspirant

The problem is, even I am willing to pay extra for the Circle, the User Interface of Circle App is so user unfriendly and limited control that I have to give up.

Go and look at how Asus RT-AC87U implement the User Interface for Parental Control on Time Scheduling.

I bought the Orbi RBR50 to replace existing Asus RT-AC87U as I need to extend the range.

As a result, I have to configure the Orbi as Access Point and existing Asus RT-AC87U as Router in order to implement the Parental Control.

Message 16 of 17
pyhoff
Initiate

Circle isn't much better, you have to pay another $10 a month to get what can actually get via  Tomato or Merlin router. I already paid 250 for my Orbi now I have to pay $120 of perpetual support to get SSLinspect, blah. The free option of Circle is useless. I should have bought the ASUS andloaded Merlin. Performance sucks on the Orbi due to the implementation of SSL inspection. I wonder what Disney is doing with this information, selling it to thrid parties I asume. December buying a new router that supports Merlin done with this garbage. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 59 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7