Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Very hesitant to buy orbi system

Shopping7
Follower

Very hesitant to buy orbi system

Hello,

I've been shopping for a mesh wifi system for my home. I like most of aspects of the Orbi systems, especially the multiple LAN ports on the units. However, the reviews online and as indicated by numerous comments here, make it seem that they are very unstable, drop connections continuously, and require a lot of mucking around to get it to work. While I am capable of the messing around and figuring out settings and troubleshooting, I'm simply tired of having to do that with home networks (which is why I'm shopping).  Would anyone suggest actually buying one of these systems?  I realize those without problems probably aren't commenting in forums, but these aren't cheap and it seems the Netgear support is awful too.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
cheshbr
Apprentice

Instead look at Ubiquiti’s Amplifi, a mesh WiFi network with similar pricing, setup and specs, or go to the next level and get Unifi.  This gear is pro stuff, but is infinitely configurable.  I have two Unifi Access points, one in the garden,  each of which has a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz radio.  I can put my five outside 2.4Ghz LIFX globes onto just the 2.4Ghz band of the outside AP.  None of the globes can be seen by the other AP.  

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Give D-Link a review if you find NG not to your liking.

@Shopping7 wrote:

Hello,

I've been shopping for a mesh wifi system for my home. I like most of aspects of the Orbi systems, especially the multiple LAN ports on the units. However, the reviews online and as indicated by numerous comments here, make it seem that they are very unstable, drop connections continuously, and require a lot of mucking around to get it to work. While I am capable of the messing around and figuring out settings and troubleshooting, I'm simply tired of having to do that with home networks (which is why I'm shopping).  Would anyone suggest actually buying one of these systems?  I realize those without problems probably aren't commenting in forums, but these aren't cheap and it seems the Netgear support is awful too.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7