Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very slow wired internet but reasonable wireless ORBI RBR40

rbuttimer
Aspirant

Very slow wired internet but reasonable wireless ORBI RBR40

I have an ORBI RBR40 with two RBR20 satellites that I purchased yesterday. I have 200MBS Spectrum cable modem. I also have CAT 5 etherenet in the house. Connection is from cable modem to the Orbi RBR40, then out to a netgear gigabit switch then to the various ethernet ports. I have the two satellites connected by ethernet.

If I do a speedtest on the ORBI app, it shows 232MBS download and 11 MBS upload. If I use one of the ethernet connected computers, it will only get about 2MBS download, but 11 MBS upload. On a wireless device I will tend to get 50+mbs uploads, and can be higher if I am near a satellite.

I have IPv6 running, and before I bought the ORBI was running an older netgear router. On that one I always got wired speeds at 200mbs or higher.

I am assuming this is a configuration issue, but sure would apprecaiate any help or ideas people have.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Very slow wired internet but reasonable wireless ORBI RBR40

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

CAT5 is not supporting of 1Gb networks. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What are your wired speeds connected at the RBR with out the switch connected with a CAT6 cable connect between the RBR and PC? Besure the cable between the RBR and FIOS is CAT6 as well.  

@rbuttimer wrote:

I have an ORBI RBR40 with two RBR20 satellites that I purchased yesterday. I have 200MBS Spectrum cable modem. I also have CAT 5 etherenet in the house. Connection is from cable modem to the Orbi RBR40, then out to a netgear gigabit switch then to the various ethernet ports. I have the two satellites connected by ethernet.

If I do a speedtest on the ORBI app, it shows 232MBS download and 11 MBS upload. If I use one of the ethernet connected computers, it will only get about 2MBS download, but 11 MBS upload. On a wireless device I will tend to get 50+mbs uploads, and can be higher if I am near a satellite.

I have IPv6 running, and before I bought the ORBI was running an older netgear router. On that one I always got wired speeds at 200mbs or higher.

I am assuming this is a configuration issue, but sure would apprecaiate any help or ideas people have.

Message 2 of 5
rbuttimer
Aspirant

Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.

The ORBI Router (RBR40) is running firmware V2.3.5.32.

The ORBI Satellites (RBR20) are running firmware V2.3.5.30

The Cable Modem is an ARRIS Model TM1602A, the Cable Internet service is a 200 MBS service.

The Switch is a Netgear GS116NA

My house is wired with Cat5 cable through the walls, so changing to CAT 6 is not really an option. Plus, using my older Netgear router I had no problems getting 200MBS through that cabling, so I don't think it is the cable that is causing me to get speeds of 2MBS.

The ORBI Satellites are about 30 feet away from the main router, but keep in mind they are connected by the ethernet cabling. One would probably be fine without using the ethernet, but the one in the basement most likely would not get a good signal.

Thanks again for replying,

Richard

Message 3 of 5
rbuttimer
Aspirant

Sorry, forgot to include this in last reply.

If I plug a computer directly into the ORBI RBR40, I get speeds of around 20MBS. If I plug directly into the cable modem I get over 200MBS. Note that the ORBI itself reports speeds of more than 200MBS when I run the speedtest from the App.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would update FW and factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back on and let it sync. 

Remove the switch from the system as well. Just wire connect 1 PC to the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. Be sure to not enable Access Controls, Armor, Circle, QoS or Traffic Meter. 

Use Ooklas installable speed test app for your PC. 

CAT5 is only rated up to 100Mbps. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/different-types-of-ethernet-cables-explained/

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7