Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Virgin Media Hub3 and Orbi

RichardCP
Follower

Virgin Media Hub3 and Orbi

I live in quite a large (5 bed - 4 storey) Victorian house and currently have a Virgin Hub3 on the ground floor and one Netgear WN3000RP extender in an upstairs room.  This is not sufficient for adequately connecting all the WiFi devices we use, which includes two V6 Tivo boxes and one older Tivo (1Gb).  Can I use the ethernet spur connection into my desktop on the first floor to plug into an Orbi router and then reconnect the desktop using a cable from the Orbi into the desktop tower to create an additional network on this floor, perhaps with a satellite a couple of rooms away to power a second desktop via ethernet cable, without turning off the Virgin Hub 3 which networks the 3 Tivo boxes via WiFi?

Message 1 of 36
StephenB
Guru

You can use Orbi as an AP (access point) with your existing Virgin Media Hub3.  You could leave the Tivos connected to the media hub, or you could turn the hub3 wifi off, and just use Orbi.

Another option is that you could double-route (using the Orbi as a router behind the Virgin Media Hub3).  That would let you use the routing features of the Orbi (for instance it's OpenVPN support).  If you do that, it would be best to turn off the hub3 wifi.

Message 2 of 36
MarkSewell
Guide

I have the SH3 in modem mode and use the Orbi for everything, bar the satelitte issue (which is a bug, not related to this) it's worked well for me.

@StephenB wrote:

You can use Orbi as an AP (access point) with your existing Virgin Media Hub3.  You could leave the Tivos connected to the media hub, or you could turn the hub3 wifi off, and just use Orbi.

Another option is that you could double-route (using the Orbi as a router behind the Virgin Media Hub3).  That would let you use the routing features of the Orbi (for instance it's OpenVPN support).  If you do that, it would be best to turn off the hub3 wifi.

Message 3 of 36
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Same here with the SH3 in modem mode.

As a modem it is rock solid - but I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Also helps that I am in a non congested area so my 200Mb normally speedchecks at 210Mb and I've only lost connection once in the last year Smiley Happy (touch wood)

Message 4 of 36
koregan123
Tutor

@Bing-Strollerwrote:

Also helps that I am in a non congested area so my 200Mb normally speedchecks at 210Mb and I've only lost connection once in the last year Smiley Happy (touch wood)

I just had my VIrgin Tivo upgraded to a V6 and therefore Virgin updated my hub from a SH2 to a Hub3,0 - I’ve set this up in Modem mode and am using an Orbi (updated to the very latest firmware) and its a disaster!, Since updating, the network ( both the wifi and other times internet connection via hub3.0) are dropping probably every hour or so.  speed is fine but the dropping connections are making the whole thing unusable. Been like this for a couple of days now. Very frustrating given the money spent. The Oribi has one sattelite and is still set to factory settings other than the SSID and passwords etc. Basically the things which can be controlled by the app.  Can someone offer me ngs to try to stop the dropped connections. We have a wide variety of wifi devices (Sonos, Amazon Echo, Hue lights, 2 x Tivo and a bunch of tablets and phones - any help much appreciated as weve gone back to the Stone Age by upgrading. I may just ring Virgin and ask for the old hub back as it worked fine. 

Message 5 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure the HUB is fully bridged and using modem mode? 

You can try using the HUB in router mode and disable ALL wifi on this modem. Then use the modems DMZ for the IP address the Oribi router gets on it's WAN port. 

Or you can change the Orbi into AP mode and use it in this mode with the ISP Modem running in router mode. Keep WIFI Disablied on the modem. 

@koregan123wrote:

@Bing-Strollerwrote:

I just had my VIrgin Tivo upgraded to a V6 and therefore Virgin updated my hub from a SH2 to a Hub3,0 - I’ve set this up in Modem mode and am using an Orbi (updated to the very latest firmware) and its a disaster!, Since updating, the network ( both the wifi and other times internet connection via hub3.0) are dropping probably every hour or so.  speed is fine but the dropping connections are making the whole thing unusable. Been like this for a couple of days now. Very frustrating given the money spent. The Oribi has one sattelite and is still set to factory settings other than the SSID and passwords etc. Basically the things which can be controlled by the app.  Can someone offer me ngs to try to stop the dropped connections. We have a wide variety of wifi devices (Sonos, Amazon Echo, Hue lights, 2 x Tivo and a bunch of tablets and phones - any help much appreciated as weve gone back to the Stone Age by upgrading. I may just ring Virgin and ask for the old hub back as it worked fine. 

Message 6 of 36
koregan123
Tutor

Ok seems my ‘mandatory’ virgin hub upgrade coupled with a ‘i hadnt really checked for a while but as my hub was being replaced i thought i may as well’ orbi firmware upgrade basically killed any semblance of stability. The Virgin hub is a rebadged Arris TG2472 which ive read up on and was shocked at all the complaints. My previous hub was setup in modem mode and i was running older firmware on my orbi which was stable and fast.

ive manually taken the firmware back to 2.0.1.4 for the orbi which seems to have fixed the sattelite dropping. Changed the hub from modem to Router mode, disabled the wifi and put the Orbi’s IP address in the hub DMZ and it seems to be mostly stable now (i say mostly as it has dropped once in the last couple of hours) - hopefully im onto a better setup now. if it starts to degrade ill try AP mode on the Orbi as im really just using it for better wifi coverage in far flung areas of my home. Not sure if that will make any difference but ill give it a go.

i had a philips hue bridge and a sonos boost feeding both my lighting and 5 piece sonos music streaming plugged into the orbi but have not plugged them back in yet in fear of the whole thing falling down or for me to hit some incompativilities somewhere. given ive now got 2 routers back to back can anyone recommend the best one to use for my lights and sonos now? 

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Virgin seemed to have screwed up with their new hub which is flaky and Netgear seemed to have screwed up the last few firmware releases so i was really in the wars. Hopefully this will get better over time

Message 7 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it seems to be working better. Hoping next FW update will stablized it even more. 

Yes, theres been issues with using SONOS devices. They seem to cause problems here and there. 

You could try this, Enable the wifi on the HUB and set the channels on 2.4Ghz to far away from the Orbi, So if you set channel 11 on the Orbi, use channel 1 on the modem and connect the SONOS devices to the Modems wifi. You can always drop back and disable if something happens. 

Ya, theres issues with Intel based modems:

http://www.badmodems.com

Message 8 of 36
koregan123
Tutor

Oh brother here we go again!! - after about 2 days of decent wifi its started to fall apart again

i have setup my virgin media hub 3.0 in modem mode, disbled wifi, put the orbi’s ip address in the DMZ, downgraded the orbi firmware back to 2.0.1.4 manually, moved the sattelite within 25 feet with not even a wall inbetween, manually separated the orbi and sonos channels and the system drops regularly whether the sonos is switched on or not (worse when it is switched on)

my sattelite seems to drop probably once an hour when sonos is not on and connected to more often when it is. The wifi drops and i have to reboot some of the connected devices even when it comes back up to be able to reconnect (android phone and ipad)

I have read virtually everything i can on orbi, virgin and sonos forums and am a tad frustrated

my house is not that large (i live in london so our houses are pretty small) it has quite thick walls and my orbi and sonos boost base devices have to be in the kitchen where the broadband enters.

i have tried the system with no sonos plugged in and the sattelite still drops regularly as ive said

i know technology as i have a first class honours degree in software engineering, ive read posts on these forums saying ‘wifi is just like that’ or ‘be patient’ but i’m really not at all happy with netgear right  now. This is supposed to ne a consumer configable wifi system. I can get a decent router for £50 but i chose to buy an over spec system so i got good wifi everywhere in my home for over £300 - it worked fine for probably 9 monhs then recently seems to have fallen apart and noone seems to have any idea why.

i would buy another system but im still hopeful that netgear will fix these issues or at least tell us what limitations there are in use. Noone told me that i could not use sonos, android devices, ios devices, hiuse my orbi next to a fridge etc. when i bought this system - is it really THAT sensitive?

is there any sign of a new firmware fix, something to give me faith anyone cares or is even working on this or do i just throw it away and attempt to start again with a different system?

i have powered everything down and switched it all on stage by stage leaving 10 minutes between for everything to stablise but to no avail.

if anyone can spot a basic ‘have you tried this’ that im missing please shout as im at.a loss as to what to try now  - thanks guys

Message 9 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

How big is your house? Sq Ft?

Message 10 of 36
koregan123
Tutor

1400 sq feet over 2 floors 

we have quite thick walls so i never found a router whose wifi signal would reach from our kitchen upstairs - i have the router in the kitchen and the sattelite in the stairwell which enables the wifi (when available) to reach upstairs and cover the whole house

the issue i have is not reach, its the fact that the sattelite appears to regularly drop and then it seems to get in a muddle (ie the ssid is visible but either my devices connect and i cannot get intenet access, it says the wifi password is incorrect or just hange when trying to connect and i have to reboot the connecting device and try again)

i have unplugged the sattelite for now and the wifi seems a bit more stable but obviously slower from another room and signal doesnt make it upstairs anymore)

i have unplugged the sonos completely for now - just trying to get a stable orbi before i connect anything else

i thought downgrading to 2.0.1.4 would at least fix the sattelite dropping issue i had but it doesnt seem to have at all 

K

Message 11 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Kitchen might not be a great place for the router. Microwaves and other devices could cause problems. 

Stairwell isn't a great place either. Can you place the Satellite upstairs over where the router is downstairs? 

1400 sq ft is kind of small and not really good for any additional Satellites. The main router will be able to cover most of this. Run the system with out the Satellite for a bit and see how it works for you. 

Message 12 of 36
koregan123
Tutor

Thanks ill try the system with no sattelite although i have already noticed that upstairs bedrooms get minimal wifi and in some cases none - like i said we have quite thick walls (its probably marginally better than the linksys router i had there before which cost me like £80)

this does not explain why the sattelite keeps dropping when within 15 feet and within direct line of sight but that could be due to the kitchen etc. - funny but i had no problems with this for the first 9 months of having this setup -is there a way of checking firmware history so i can trace back to previous versions and see if there is a point the sattelite started being an issue?

ill probably ask the isp to change the access point in the building to avoid the kitchen and try again but that will cost and i already feel like ive been throwing money at something which will not be fixed. We will see

i understand that kitchen microwaves may have an impact as well as lots of electrical devices (fridges, wine cooler etc.) but interested in how the stair well is a poor place for a router - why so?

Thanks for ideas and feedback - just want to get my ‘wifi works’ life back

Never ever thought an expensive upgrade to my kit would cause such issues but you live and learn

K

Message 13 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the Satellites are designed to work probably over 15feet and best place 30 feet or greater maybe. Having the Satellite to close maybe cuasing problems. 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? if so, how many and what channesl are they using? 

Message 14 of 36
JYG83
Aspirant

Hello

If I keep the Virgin Hub3 in router mode and disable all WiFi, should the Orbi Router be in router mode or be set up as an access point?

In essence, what are the differences between:
(i) Virgin hub3 router + Orbi as an AP; and
(ii) Orbi as a router behind the Virgin Media Hub3 as a router.

(in both instances turning off the hub3 WiFi)?

Thank you

Message 15 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Recommended configuration if you want to use the Orbi router as you main host router, bridge the ISP modem fully so it passes the public IP address to the Orbi router. This helps elliminate a double NAT condition.

If this can't be done with the ISP modem, then use the modems DMZ feature for the IP address that the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem. Disabling all wifi radios on the modem.

Or use the ISP modem as your main host router, disable all wifi radios on the modem and use the Orbi system in AP mode, connected LAN to LAN. Not WAN to LAN.

@JYG83 wrote:

Hello

If I keep the Virgin Hub3 in router mode and disable all WiFi, should the Orbi Router be in router mode or be set up as an access point?

Thank you

Message 16 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

#2 "If this can't be done with the ISP modem, then use the modems DMZ feature for the IP address that the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem. Disabling all wifi radios on the modem." 
=> that's beyond my competencies! should I make the changes in the ISP modem (Virgin) or in the Orbi? could you please explain step by step what IP address should I copy and where?

You'll make changes on the ISP modem/router. There should be a DMZ option here. If you need more help you can ask your ISP to help you configure this for the Orbi Router. If you find the DMZ, input the IP address the Orbi router gets on it's WAN port, into the DMZ. You might set up a IP address reservation for this same IP address as well ON the ISP modem so it doesn't change and cause problems down the road.
=> does it mean a lower network security? NO, since the Orbi router has a firewall too. Your safe to use the DMZ on the ISP modem.
=> would you recommend #3 over #2? I prefer #2.

#3 "Or use the ISP modem as your main host router, disable all wifi radios on the modem and use the Orbi system in AP mode, connected LAN to LAN. Not WAN to LAN." 
=> in that case I connect via ethernet from the ISP modem LAN port to one of the Orbi LAN port (not the yellow one)? YES

Your interferences coming from the adjacent area maybe a problem as well. You'll need to scan for any wifi and channels being used there and adjust the orbi for manual channels accordingly.

If your going to use an Orbi Satellite and Orbi router, you can place the router near the ISP modem or a bit more centrally then place the satellite at the opposite end near the bed room. Should be about 30 feet minimum in between.

@JYG83 wrote:

Hello

Thank you

Message 17 of 36
DB2k
Aspirant

Did this all get resolved? My new Orbi RBK50 and my virgin superhub 3 are not friends.

Sometimes it's stable for hours then it is just unusable for hours on end as the internet connection drops from the virgin hub and then it keeps trying to restablish connctivity. I talked to Virgin and the engineer things its the Orbi doing something. I have no idea how the Orbi can be making the Virgin hub drop it's internet connection - anyone else seen that?

My SH3 is set in modem mode with wifi disabled (red light on the front of the box).

I haven't done anything specific to the Orbi but I'm now wondering if I need to change the DMZ settings perhaps?

Frustrating!

Message 18 of 36
koregan123
Tutor

Hi Db2k

’Resolved’ is a strong word. I found the best setup for me was to setup the SH3 in Router mode (note not modem),  disable the wifi and add the Orbi IP address to the SH3 dmz. I still had some issues however moving the Orbi satellite around seemed to solve that over time (my devices seemed to mess around reconnecting to either the satellite or main router a lot). I found that the satellite can be ‘too close’ as well as ‘too far away’ which makes the whole setup seem a little flaky if you want my honest opinion. 

i also downgraded the firmware on both router and satellite to an older much more stable version as the newer versions of firmware seemed to introduce a ton more issues (there are plenty of posts on here outlining the last ‘stable’ firmware upgrade for your specific model - hopefully this has been resolved recently)

i have since taken the plunge to have my entire house hard wired with cat6 as i was frustrated with crappy coverage and dropped commections so i will likely be posting questions on here soon about using a hard wired backhaul in my setup once the system is put in.

good luck - many of my friends told me that £350 for a wifi router in a medium sized 3 bed semi was overkill but i still havent cracked reliable and stable wifi - one day maybe

for me this system is over complicated and netgear should really focus on the basics of coverage, dropped connections and speed. They seem more interested in introducing new features like daisychaining instead of solving the ‘satellite is too close’ kind of basic flakiness.

Hope this helps

Message 19 of 36
DB2k
Aspirant

Right right

Interesting.. I'll change mine from modem to router and try to get the IP into the DMZ on the hub. 

I'll look at the firmware for sure after this. Mine's been pretty stable wifi wise - even when the internet drops the wifi remains stable and my one sattellite looks like it's working well too - coverage down the garden! Yeah I have a 2 bed semi and so again, it's probably overkill but frankly, I'd rather have too much over not enough signal!

Really appreciate the reply. If I still have problems I think I'll start a new thread perhaps. Hopefully there will ne a new firmware soon to address any existing problems!

thanks

David

Message 20 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

One of these options should work for you:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@DB2k wrote:

Did this all get resolved? My new Orbi RBK50 and my virgin superhub 3 are not friends.

Sometimes it's stable for hours then it is just unusable for hours on end as the internet connection drops from the virgin hub and then it keeps trying to restablish connctivity. I talked to Virgin and the engineer things its the Orbi doing something. I have no idea how the Orbi can be making the Virgin hub drop it's internet connection - anyone else seen that?

My SH3 is set in modem mode with wifi disabled (red light on the front of the box).

I haven't done anything specific to the Orbi but I'm now wondering if I need to change the DMZ settings perhaps?

Frustrating!

Message 21 of 36

It has taken me a few months but I now seem to have  got my Orbi system working well with the Virgin Hub 3.0. It took me so long because there are so many conflicting opinions on the Internet and none of them worked for me so I went back to basics:

Here's what I did:

1 Unplugged all ethernet cables from Virgin Hub and plugged in only the Orbi main hub, to the bottom port (port 1). [The other ports didn't work. One of the experts said to use the top port on the hub but that didn't work.]
2. Used a paperclip to reset the Virgin Hub, leaving the Orbi connected
3. Used a paperclip to reset the Orbi, then used the Orbi App on iPhone to configure it. The troubleshooting wizard popped up and fixed the internet connection. [For a while the Orbi app still said I had no internet connection but in fact I did.]
4. When the app told me to, I plugged in the Orbi satellite and set it up.

5. I intended to set the Virgin hub to modem mode but I couldn't browse to the Hub through the Orbi wi-fi connection, so I left Virgin in router mode, but without connecting to its wi-fi.

6. Connected the virgin media system via the Orbi wi-fi. Don't connect it or anything else to the Virgin ethernet ports, apart from the Orbi main hub.

7. Connected my Hive by ethernet to the Orbi main hub

8. Connected my Echos via the Orbi wi-fi

9. To connect Sonos I had to use an Ethernet connection from my Sonos Playbar to my Orbi main hub.

Now I am getting 200Mbps wifi everywhere in my house, and down to the bottom of my garden, so I am happy at last! As I sit here typing this my Orbi app reports the internet speed is 393Mbps download and 21 Mbps upload.

Long story short - the reset wizards fixed it for me.

Good luck everyone!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 22 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@andrewjboswell wrote:

It has taken me a few months but I now seem to have  got my Orbi system working well with the Virgin Hub 3.0. It took me so long because there are so many conflicting opinions on the Internet and none of them worked for me so I went back to basics:

Here's what I did:

1 Unplugged all ethernet cables from Virgin Hub and plugged in only the Orbi main hub, to the bottom port (port 1). [The other ports didn't work. One of the experts said to use the top port on the hub but that didn't work.]
2. Used a paperclip to reset the Virgin Hub, leaving the Orbi connected
3. Used a paperclip to reset the Orbi, then used the Orbi App on iPhone to configure it. The troubleshooting wizard popped up and fixed the internet connection. [For a while the Orbi app still said I had no internet connection but in fact I did.]
4. When the app told me to, I plugged in the Orbi satellite and set it up.

5. I intended to set the Virgin hub to modem mode but I couldn't browse to the Hub through the Orbi wi-fi connection, so I left Virgin in router mode, but without connecting to its wi-fi.

6. Connected the virgin media system via the Orbi wi-fi. Don't connect it or anything else to the Virgin ethernet ports, apart from the Orbi main hub.

7. Connected my Hive by ethernet to the Orbi main hub

8. Connected my Echos via the Orbi wi-fi

9. To connect Sonos I had to use an Ethernet connection from my Sonos Playbar to my Orbi main hub.

Now I am getting 200Mbps wifi everywhere in my house, and down to the bottom of my garden, so I am happy at last! As I sit here typing this my Orbi app reports the internet speed is 393Mbps download and 21 Mbps upload.

Long story short - the reset wizards fixed it for me.

Good luck everyone!

Message 23 of 36
DB2k
Aspirant

well..

it's early days but now I have had a new hub, and an engineer out who replaced some of the cabling towards the router as the inner core wasn't making a good connection.

Currently it's working and had been since 4pm yesterday.

I have an Orbi and 1 satellite up running in router mode. I also have the superhub running in router mode. Unsure about keeping that as it might be double nat? Not sure. I put the Orbi IP as fixed and then on the superhub put it in the DMZ.

All my attached devices seem to be working from xbox to sonos to hive to Fire TV etc.

I'm getting 107MBps all over my house which is the limit of my broadband anyway.

Anyway.. thus far it's stable.

Message 24 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

If your using the DMZ on the ISP model for the Orbi router, NAT should be OPEN.

@DB2k wrote:

well..

it's early days but now I have had a new hub, and an engineer out who replaced some of the cabling towards the router as the inner core wasn't making a good connection.

Currently it's working and had been since 4pm yesterday.

I have an Orbi and 1 satellite up running in router mode. I also have the superhub running in router mode. Unsure about keeping that as it might be double nat? Not sure. I put the Orbi IP as fixed and then on the superhub put it in the DMZ.

All my attached devices seem to be working from xbox to sonos to hive to Fire TV etc.

I'm getting 107MBps all over my house which is the limit of my broadband anyway.

Anyway.. thus far it's stable.

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7