Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Virgin hub to Orbi

LondonReece
Aspirant

Virgin hub to Orbi

Today I purchased the Netgear Orbi system.

I thought it may help some people who are searching for help, that if you use the included cable that comes in the box with the Orbi system, to connect to the hub in modem mode, you wont get speeds over 100mb. The Cat5 cable thats included isnt designed for the speeds we can now get on Virgin Media.

I tried it, was maxing out at 90(ish)mb, swapped the cable over to a Cat7 (I am sure I Cat6 would be fine, also) and got the speeds I expected.

Tons of searching on Google didnt find me this answer, so i'm trying to put it out there to help others understand why they will be getting slow speeds.

Hope it helps!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Every CAT5, CAT5A, CAT6 or CAT7 cable does allow a workable GbE link - permitting all four pairs are available and crimped properly. There might be some (typically CAT5 or CAT5A) cables with just two pairs, limiting the link speed to 100 Mb.

Message 2 of 5
LondonReece
Aspirant

Sadly, the cable they supplied (in my package, at least) was a limited cat5.
Swapping it over to a cat7 instantly allowed full speed of 300mb. Was just under 100mb with the supplied cat5.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Define what a "limited CAT5 cable" is. Just two copper pairs?

Message 4 of 5
LondonReece
Aspirant

Whatever about it is limiting speeds. As I explained, once replaced, full speed were obtained.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7