Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAC 510 Router? SRR60 Wifi to Wifi Bridge?

5pac3m0nk3y
Aspirant

WAC 510 Router? SRR60 Wifi to Wifi Bridge?

Greetings, 

Is the WAC 510 the only AP in your business line that can be a router?  

Also, does the SRR60 offer Wifi to Wifi bridging through Insight like the WAC 510?

What is the max number of simultaneous connection on the SRR60?

Thank you, 

Al

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System, WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: WAC 510 Router? SRR60 Wifi to Wifi Bridge?

You posted in the consumer orbi forum about 2 different products. 

1. the WAC510 which would be the wireless business forum.https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/bd-p/business-wireless-for-business

2. The SRR60 which is the business orbi version. forum: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-pro-wifi

A quick thing. the "wifi bridging". The SRR60 uses its 3rd band as a wireless backhaul between the router/satellites of the orbi kit. That is its wireless bridge. 

Message 2 of 6
5pac3m0nk3y
Aspirant

Hello, 

Mu apology.  I posted my two questions in the two areas you recommended.

By wifi bridging, let me explain the situation first. 

I'm upgrading the network for a place that has many seperate networks in buildings close to one another. I was told that the Business Grade APs could bridge between the seperate networks via wifi to wifi bridging. 

So if there is three networks, each with its own modem and router, the AP could be configured via insight to allow bridging between the separate networks to prevent drop offs as users move around the 15, 000 square foot area. 

Thanks, 

Al

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@5pac3m0nk3y wrote:

Is the WAC 510 the only AP in your business line that can be a router?  

Also, does the SRR60 offer Wifi to Wifi bridging through Insight like the WAC 510?

What is the max number of simultaneous connection on the SRR60?

Netgear does not make is abundantly clear that their community forums are where customers discuss Netgear products and that there is no participation by Netgear sales or support staff.  We each have experience gained through using specific Netgear products and try to help when people have questions or issues.

The WAC 510 is an Access Point, not a router.  See the picture on page 1 of the installation guide which shows a "router":

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC510/WAC510_IG_EN.pdf?_ga=2.8990069.1555948606.1631428... 

Maximum number of devices on one SRR60 system is found on page 177 of the User Manual (2.4G 127, 5G 127) This conveniently consumes one 255.255.255.0 subnet, which may be a coincidence.

Insight is Netgear's Business Class networking platform. My guess is that you are more likely to find useful information in the business forums, specifically the Business Wireless, Business Deployment, and the Insight forums.

There is also a link on this page leading to "Get support on Netgear products before I buy" which lead to a page that includes Business Solutions: https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/myOnlineTicket.aspx 

Good Luck

Message 4 of 6
5pac3m0nk3y
Aspirant

Hello, 

Yes, I am a customer. I have a SRR60 and an 8 port POE and a five port POE. I put the Srr60 into a business environment and it worked well enough and then the client wanted to upgrade their entire network. But there is no connection between each building. Each building just has one modem and one optimum router. The WAC 510 apparently can do Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi bridging through insight, which is great, but isn’t a bit confusing that it has a ‘Router Mode’ unlike all of their other Access Point?  

They have a problem with drop offs between each network and interference. I thought this sort of bridging might resolve the problem.

I have looked at several pdfs like the one you shared and they showed that ‘yes’ the WAC 510 is the only one with ‘router mode’. But you say that it cannot be a router, it is only an access point that requires a separate router? Do you see why I find that a little confusing?  

It says at this link:  https://kb.netgear.com/000059131/How-do-I-configure-router-mode-and-router-mode-features-on-my-NETGE...

the WAC 510 can be a router.  

Regarding your reference to the Srr60 manual. The manual I have doesn’t have 177 pages but you must be referring to the technical specification which says the maximum is 127 for each channel, so I assume that is concurrent or simultaneous connections, right? Because this link (https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/SRR60.pdf) shows it is only 40 at a time, which is one downside to it compared to the WAC 510. So I think the answer to my question is 40 not 127. 127 must be the total number of devices while 40 the simultaneously connected devices. 

Yes, as I mentioned, I posted my questions in their appropriate spots, but thanks for replying, anyway.  

Since I own the Srr60, I don’t need to ask questions before I buy. I’m asking about a product I own. But for the WAC 510 which I ordered, when it arrives, then I guess I am eligible to ask questions about it as I have. Makes sense. 

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, I was completely and totally incorrect about the WAC510 router mode.  My eyes were drawn to the blue picture and I failed to read the text in the box which clearly spells out "router mode".  In contrast to the Orbi product, this device has a plethora of features (turning off radios is a big one). Clearly aimed at a more sophisticated environment.

My sense is that the WiFi bridge mode is intended to create one network that spans a larger area. With all units leading back to a single internet link.

p.s. I am terribly literal and reacted poorly to the statement "only AP in your business line " which implies to me an expectation that actual Netgear employees will respond to the question... and they won't.

In a former life, I was part of a group that designed and maintained a large multi-building network.  We used fiber to link all the buildings to a central data center where the redundant routers and internet feeds were located.  Since I doubt that your situation allows for installing media between buildings, the only way to create a 'single WiFi network' is some sort of radio link.  Maybe some of those "Business Deployment" posts would offer insights (pun?)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7