Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAN Interface stuck at 100 MBPS

rexfox
Tutor

WAN Interface stuck at 100 MBPS

Okay trying the community since  my "support contract time is up" and it cost 90 bucks to talk to someone for a simple question.   Upgraded Cable modem to a 250 Mbps connection.   When i test the backhaul using speedtest and directly connecting a laptop to the cable modem I am getting close to 250.  When I connect my Orbi WAN port it says 100 MBPS connectoin and this is verified by SPEEDtest where it reports a 96 mbps download.  

So what gives. the product specs say that the ORBI wan port supports up to 1000 MPBS (Gige), cant find a setting to lock in it.   Very dissapointing.   Verified firmware is up to date.   Seems like false advertising to me.   I usually would highly recommend the orbi system but my sentiment is going south very fast, especially since they don't have a direct channel for support in this day and age.   Anyone in the community have a workaround?

Firmware version I have is: 2.2.1.210  RBK50 (circa 2015)

Connecting to SB8200 Cable modem

Comcast

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
rexfox
Tutor

Re: WAN Interface stuck at 100 MBPS

Problem solved.    It is the cabling.   I did a test by taking the router down to the basemend and connecting via a known good 5E to the Wan port of the router and the other end to the LAN port of the SB8200 cable modem.    Powered up the router and connected my laptop with the GIGE ethernet to a hardwired port on the router.

BAM--1000M in the connection table on WAN.   Then I rand speed test, BAM 264 Mbps which is even higher than my 250 Mbps subscription!!.   I did not even reset the cable modem.    

Put evertything back the way it was and the WAN went back to 100M.   So I need a new cable run from the SB8200 up to where my router is.   I need it up here because the basement is basically a concrete box in the ground so wireless not so good from there :).   No big, just glad I finally figured it out.  And thank you guys for helping out.

Brought me back to my telecom days.....always check the cabling first!!!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices are you speed testing with? Wired or wireless? Try wired PC first. 

What is the mfr and model # of the wired network adapter in the PC if your using the PC? 

Some older ethernet adapters only support 100mb. Be sure your ethernet adapter is 1000mb compliant. 

Try disabling the following and see: IPv6

Have you factory reset the Orbi router, walk thru the setup wizard, do not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls and then tested a speed test with a wired PC connected to the router with out any other devices connected to the router? When you reset the Orbi, power OFF the modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk the setup wizard. Then speed test with a wired PC. 

@rexfox wrote:

Okay trying the community since  my "support contract time is up" and it cost 90 bucks to talk to someone for a simple question.   Upgraded Cable modem to a 250 Mbps connection.   When i test the backhaul using speedtest and directly connecting a laptop to the cable modem I am getting close to 250.  When I connect my Orbi WAN port it says 100 MBPS connectoin and this is verified by SPEEDtest where it reports a 96 mbps download.  

So what gives. the product specs say that the ORBI wan port supports up to 1000 MPBS (Gige), cant find a setting to lock in it.   Very dissapointing.   Verified firmware is up to date.   Seems like false advertising to me.   I usually would highly recommend the orbi system but my sentiment is going south very fast, especially since they don't have a direct channel for support in this day and age.   Anyone in the community have a workaround?

Firmware version I have is: 2.2.1.210  RBK50 (circa 2015)

Connecting to SB8200 Cable modem

Comcast

Thanks in advance!

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

1. Do you get the same result if testing while connected to router or satellite?
  2. Do you have wired or wireless backhaul?
  3. What other wired devices do you have connected to Orbi router and satellite(s)
Message 3 of 7
rexfox
Tutor

Yes the interface table on the orbi router indicates 100 MB and any hardwired port is same result.   Not sure why the satellite would matter as much.   I have my Gaming PC hooked to the orbi direct, the rest of the ports go to various PC devices etc.

As I stated before I connected directly to SB8200 with a laptop via hardwire cable and it worked.  I have a second cable that does go through a cross connect panel up into where the ORBI is about 50 feet away via a CAT5E cable.  I am going to try making a CAT6 cable later tonight and eliminate the cross connect.

I saw on another thread cabling could be a root cause so its pretty easy to just take the router down into the basement where the cable modem is and give that a shot I guess.

Message 4 of 7
rexfox
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions.   Yes, my laptop has a gig card in it and it worked when I hook it direct to the cable modem.  I have not reset my orbi to factory default but I can try that.   I am going to try the cable first though and see if that fixes it.   I read on another cabling issues could cause it to drop down to 100M.   It would be very easy to just take it down stairs use a known good cable and verify it does not work, then do the factor reset.

Message 5 of 7
rexfox
Tutor

Problem solved.    It is the cabling.   I did a test by taking the router down to the basemend and connecting via a known good 5E to the Wan port of the router and the other end to the LAN port of the SB8200 cable modem.    Powered up the router and connected my laptop with the GIGE ethernet to a hardwired port on the router.

BAM--1000M in the connection table on WAN.   Then I rand speed test, BAM 264 Mbps which is even higher than my 250 Mbps subscription!!.   I did not even reset the cable modem.    

Put evertything back the way it was and the WAN went back to 100M.   So I need a new cable run from the SB8200 up to where my router is.   I need it up here because the basement is basically a concrete box in the ground so wireless not so good from there :).   No big, just glad I finally figured it out.  And thank you guys for helping out.

Brought me back to my telecom days.....always check the cabling first!!!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. CAT 6 or batter is recommended for LAN cabling for current ethernet networks. 

Enjoy. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7