Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WARNING: Firmware 2.2.1.210 is junk

WARNING: Firmware 2.2.1.210 is junk

If you're dealing with poor WiFi performance, frequent disconnects and so on, you aren't alone, there are various other threads on this topic. Here's what you need to know:

1. Check if your Orbi is using 2.2.1.210
  2. If it is, then the problem is the firmware, no tweaking of settings will save you.
  3. Disable firmware auto-updates following these instructions
  4. Download the previous version (i.e. 2.1.4.16) of the firmware (RBK/RBR 50, RBK/RBR 40)
  5. Manually update the firmware to the previous version you just downloaded.
  6. Enjoy.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry you have had bad experiences. Not everyone has has the same results.

Message 3 of 37

Never claimed everyone was having issues, my post starts with IF

That said, many folks are having issues. Now, if you have something that is relevant and constructive/useful to add, please go ahead.

Message 4 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting. Hopefully next update will be better.

Message 5 of 37
Den_
Guide

Thanks for the links.  Since the last update, I have had to turn off my satellite as it was continuously disconnecting.  The previous firmware worked fine.

Message 6 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

This worked for this user, Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@Den_ wrote:

Thanks for the links.  Since the last update, I have had to turn off my satellite as it was continuously disconnecting.  The previous firmware worked fine.

Message 7 of 37

Hey FURRYe38, please do not hijack this thread for troubleshooting, thanks.

Message 8 of 37
Den_
Guide

FURRYe38, is wae able to max out my 370MBit internet connection with all the previous firmwares. Nothing has changed. My satellite connection strength is showing as strong. The day I got the firmware update everything went to pot. Please stop posting the same canned response as it does not fix the problem. I rolled back the firmware and magically I now have a reliable connection again. The current firmware is terrible.
Message 9 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you were able to get it working. Doesn't mean that everyone has the same issue. I'll be posting as I see fit 

Thanks. 

Message 10 of 37
eljarviso
Luminary

I had to roll mine back after a month. I have a SmartThings Hub hardwired into the satellite and it kept going offline. I also ran into HomeKit issues.. I couldn’t hit my HomeKit remotely.

After the rollback everything started running properly.
Message 11 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Information is helping users with there problems so the information is working for those who choose to use it. 

"You can lead a horse to watter, can't make it drink it!"

@Bubbd wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'll be posting as I see fit 

Thanks. 

Your incessant cookie cutter spamming is getting old.  How would you feel if everyone else decide to post as they "see fit" and posted the same drivel over and over again?

Message 12 of 37
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

You people who are badgering forum users who are trying to help others, need to remember, this is a community forum, not a complaint forum. Community is here to help and field problems that others are having with there stuff and users can and do help them out. If you don't like how other users are helping others, then you need to move along. Your just validating that your incompetent and only wish negative results or don't want anyone to get there stuff working. So what if FW isn't working right, let the users help others do the troubleshooting and help others. Not all Mfrs have 100% working FW or stellar working FW. Were human and human is the failure. Nature of the beast. If you don't like your product, then sell, get rid of it or move along. Ask NG for either an RMA or a refund. Stop whining and being lazy and call that it's always NGs fault and not yours. It's NOT always NG fault. Many other factors that cause problems. So let others help out and stop badgering them. If you don't take the information, then don't complain about it when others to and when others are trying to help out. Crist, you people would stop emergency services from getting to someone just because you didn't like your experiences.

Been many users postings with better results with forum users help:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK40-Download-Speed-Slows-Down-After-5-Days/m-p/1643475/highl...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-2-1-3-4-in-auto-update/m-p/1553979/highlight/true#M28616
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-RBS50-Not-Connecting-via-Ethernet/m-p/1556692/h...
Roomba: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-amp-the-new-Roomba-i7-connectivity/m-p/1655054/highlight/...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1649157/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1648321/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1649172/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1649389/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Your-experience-with-Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Your-experience-with-Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Satellite-placement-help/m-p/1658715#M44442

So move along people. Life goes one, with or with out you, like or don't like it. Deal with it.

EOL!

Message 13 of 37
Pylesw
Tutor

My experience is that the wifi side of the router drops... You cannot connect to it from internal LAN and devices connected see the Internet as disconnected. However, if you set up a VPN on the router, you can connect to it from your mobile connection, so it's still connected, just but working on WiFi. A reboot temporarily fixes it, but I believe the problem might be related to Disney Circle. I had it enabled. I disabled it and reinstall the firmware. (Had to downgrade/upgrade). So far looks good. Will post updates on whether it stays stable.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 14 of 37
cahiatt
Tutor

Mine is generally working but I don't think it is quite right yet either.

Two problems I generally have are clients won't necessarily switch to the satellite or back to main unit. Or the Orbi isn't kicking them over. I'm using the RBR50 with an RBS50 on wired backhaul. As an example, I have a WiFi camera in the carport about 20 feet from the satellite. The main unit is probably another 25-30 feet further away and one level down in the basement. For whatever stupid reason there is the camera is connected to the main unit. Not to the satellite. My son's Xbox is in the basement near thr main unit and it is connected to the satellite also which is further away. I also see a majority of wifi devices on the main versus the satellite. If signals are even similar I would think the Orbi would kick some over to the satellite just to not clog up all the channels on one of the units.

The other issue I've had is sometimes traffic on the satellite pauses for a moment when something does connect. I wondered if the unit was dropping back to wireless backhaul but if I check it always shows good wired backhaul connection.
Message 15 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisy Chaing enabled or disabled on your router? Put a check mark in Daisy chain to see if you notice any difference? Some have said the behavior is backwards on this version of FW. 

How far appart is the Satellite from the Orib base? 30 feet is recommended starting distance. 

Should not be seeing any pause in connnections when something connects to satellite. 

@cahiatt wrote:
Mine is generally working but I don't think it is quite right yet either.

Two problems I generally have are clients won't necessarily switch to the satellite or back to main unit. Or the Orbi isn't kicking them over. I'm using the RBR50 with an RBS50 on wired backhaul. As an example, I have a WiFi camera in the carport about 20 feet from the satellite. The main unit is probably another 25-30 feet further away and one level down in the basement. For whatever stupid reason there is the camera is connected to the main unit. Not to the satellite. My son's Xbox is in the basement near thr main unit and it is connected to the satellite also which is further away. I also see a majority of wifi devices on the main versus the satellite. If signals are even similar I would think the Orbi would kick some over to the satellite just to not clog up all the channels on one of the units.

The other issue I've had is sometimes traffic on the satellite pauses for a moment when something does connect. I wondered if the unit was dropping back to wireless backhaul but if I check it always shows good wired backhaul connection.

Message 16 of 37
DickDuke
Apprentice

I'm using Firmware 2.2.1.210 on my RBK23 (RBR20 + 2 RBS20) and have Firmware V2.2.1.204 on an RBW30. Everything is rock solid.

However, I also have a RBR40 that has Firmware 2.2.1.210 like the OP here. That unit absolutely refuses to connect to more than 2 of the 3 staellites. It appears that there may indeed be some problems with this latest firmware version on some Orbi models.I'd rather use the RBR40 because of the additional netwrok ports, but I've given up on it for now, and i'm using a 5 port switch to connect to my printer and NAS and Ethernet over powerline connection.

MY SETUP

Rogers Cable (Hitron) 200/16 > RBR20 > 2 x RBS20 + 1 x RBW30 + 5 port switch and EoP hardwired devices

Message 17 of 37
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@Bubbd wrote:

Your incessant cookie cutter spamming is getting old.  How would you feel if everyone else decide to post as they "see fit" and posted the same drivel over and over again?  

Keep reporting him and his fanboi/alter (BoilerPlate) to admins.  Sooner or later they will take notice and make them stop spamming the forum.

Message 18 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you have bad HW with the 40 series. 

You can always add more ports with a LAN switch behind the current router. 

@DickDuke wrote:

I'm using Firmware 2.2.1.210 on my RBK23 (RBR20 + 2 RBS20) and have Firmware V2.2.1.204 on an RBW30. Everything is rock solid.

However, I also have a RBR40 that has Firmware 2.2.1.210 like the OP here. That unit absolutely refuses to connect to more than 2 of the 3 staellites. It appears that there may indeed be some problems with this latest firmware version on some Orbi models.I'd rather use the RBR40 because of the additional netwrok ports, but I've given up on it for now, and i'm using a 5 port switch to connect to my printer and NAS and Ethernet over powerline connection.

MY SETUP

Rogers Cable (Hitron) 200/16 > RBR20 > 2 x RBS20 + 1 x RBW30 + 5 port switch and EoP hardwired devices

Message 19 of 37
Pylesw
Tutor

It appears the problem is related to Disney Circle being enabled. Logging into the router from the Wifi side continually prompts for a password on every screen. I believe that's a symptom of the problem. Turning off Disney Circle seems to fix it without needing a reboot of the router.
Message 20 of 37
pdawg17
Guide

Circle was the problem for me too. Had tons of DNS timeouts. As soon as I disabled it everything has been great...
Message 21 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know about Circle. Hope this will help others. 

@pdawg17 wrote:
Circle was the problem for me too. Had tons of DNS timeouts. As soon as I disabled it everything has been great...

Message 22 of 37
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Pylesw

Thank you for this information. Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 23 of 37
pxpioneer
Tutor

Big Ditto, lots of random issues and a freezing router that reports good internet but can't even ping the modem or the quad 8's.

Then I learn that they don't offer any level of support for this product with it's price point?  This is rediculous and embarassing as I sell Netgear business solutions as a partner.  I cannot beleive the difference in the level of disrepect and disdain they show for consumer grade devices.

I'm very disappointed at this point.  I should have just put in a Cisco router and a set of Netgear business APs with a controller at this point.  At least then I can access my own network when the internet goes out.  Or when my router can't find the modem as it were.

Message 24 of 37
Chi7
Star

@UnhappyOrbiUser that guys the worst.  get rid of the Orbi, like I and others did.  It's painful and not worth the headache. 

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7