Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WARNING: Firmware 2.2.1.210 is junk

Pylesw
Tutor

Update: The problems with Disney Circle disappeared after I discovered and cleaned my son's laptop of several viruses I found. I have to assume his laptop was creating a DoS attack from within. After cleaning, no issues with Disney Circle. Could be coincidence, but nothing else I've tried had made a difference. Thought you should know.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 26 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem. Good to see that its not always Orbi or Circle problems. Smiley Wink

@Pylesw wrote:
Update: The problems with Disney Circle disappeared after I discovered and cleaned my son's laptop of several viruses I found. I have to assume his laptop was creating a DoS attack from within. After cleaning, no issues with Disney Circle. Could be coincidence, but nothing else I've tried had made a difference. Thought you should know.

Message 27 of 37
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Pylesw wrote:

It's good to hear you identified the problem.

Even so Circle will reduce your network throghput by about half.

That's a pretty big hit for a service like this and IIRC I saw it on local LAN to local LAN communications too, that really shouldn't be the case.

Message 28 of 37
vcuser1
Aspirant

Hi UnhappyOrbiUser 

I'm having troubles with router constantly going offline (modem stays online rock solid as confirmed by conecting directly to modem, it is just the router for whatever reason decides it is offline all of a sudden). The only fix is to restart the router. This is on f/w 2.2.1.210 so I thought I'd try going back to 2.1.4.16 to see if it is any better.  

Now I followed your and DUSTOFF2 instructions and while everything worked as described and I managed to easily install 2.1.4.16, the issue is that it automatically updated back to latest 2.2.1.210 in no time. It looks like it is not enough to zero nvram orbi_auto_upgrade, auto_check_for_upgrade and auto_update settings to diable auto-update. It will still auto-update to latest firmware regardless. 

I'm puzzled how did this work for you on 2.2.1.210. These don't look to suppress auto-update. Any ideas please?  

Thanks

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 29 of 37
Chuck_M
Mentor

When you telnetted in and gave those commands, did you also give it the command COMMIT to save it after reboot?

Message 30 of 37
vcuser1
Aspirant

Yes, I did. I also used 'nvram show' to prove the new settings stuck in place. They are still set to zero after the unexpected auto-update. All but orbi_auto_upgrade which reverted to some large number which was expected behaviour according to Butche's post: Disabling Auto-Update

Message 31 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Some users have posted about either doing a factory reset and setup from scratch after the autoupdate completes or manually loading v210 FW files first, then factory reset and setup from scratch. This has solved many users problems. 

@vcuser1 wrote:

Hi UnhappyOrbiUser 

I'm having troubles with router constantly going offline (modem stays online rock solid as confirmed by conecting directly to modem, it is just the router for whatever reason decides it is offline all of a sudden). The only fix is to restart the router. This is on f/w 2.2.1.210 so I thought I'd try going back to 2.1.4.16 to see if it is any better.  

Now I followed your and DUSTOFF2 instructions and while everything worked as described and I managed to easily install 2.1.4.16, the issue is that it automatically updated back to latest 2.2.1.210 in no time. It looks like it is not enough to zero nvram orbi_auto_upgrade, auto_check_for_upgrade and auto_update settings to diable auto-update. It will still auto-update to latest firmware regardless. 

I'm puzzled how did this work for you on 2.2.1.210. These don't look to suppress auto-update. Any ideas please?  

Thanks

Message 32 of 37
vcuser1
Aspirant

Thanks. Think I figured it out. Reading through the whole unfiltered dump of 'nvram show' I found another setting 'orbi_auto_upg=1' (note the missing suffix in the name). Switching this to 0 did te trick. I'm not sure whether 'orbi_auto_upgrade' is something else or was created by me when I followed Butche's instructions where he has it as 'orbi_auto_upgrade' rather than 'orbi_auto_upg'.

Anyways, setting 'orbi_auto_upg=0' prevented it from auto-updating and now it shows f/w update button in the html admin portal and in Orbi apps telling there is newer f/w but not automatically installing it.

I'll see how 2.1.4.16 compares to 2.2.1.210 in the long run.

Message 33 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Some users have posted about either doing a factory reset and setup from scratch after the autoupdate completes or manually loading v210 FW files first, then factory reset and setup from scratch. This has solved many users problems. Something to try upon next upgrade. 

@vcuser1 wrote:

Thanks. Think I figured it out. Reading through the whole unfiltered dump of 'nvram show' I found another setting 'orbi_auto_upg=1' (note the missing suffix in the name). Switching this to 0 did te trick. I'm not sure whether 'orbi_auto_upgrade' is something else or was created by me when I followed Butche's instructions where he has it as 'orbi_auto_upgrade' rather than 'orbi_auto_upg'.

Anyways, setting 'orbi_auto_upg=0' prevented it from auto-updating and now it shows f/w update button in the html admin portal and in Orbi apps telling there is newer f/w but not automatically installing it.

I'll see how 2.1.4.16 compares to 2.2.1.210 in the long run.

Message 34 of 37
MikeBainter
Initiate

FYI I have a RBR20 and one RBS20 network that worked great for about a week. Then the reported drop outs started. I’ve tried pretty much all the workarounds with no real difference. Even unplugged the satellite for awhile. Realized that a firmware update was probably the only real fix. Waited several months and today I found and had to manually download and install 2.3.0.28 (didn’t show up in the admin GUI for available firmware updates ) and it seems like it’s working okay. Time will tell and I’ll report back one way or another. Thanks everyone for the data collection!
Message 35 of 37
DickDuke
Apprentice

RBK30 system plus two RBS20 satellites all updated (manually) to 2.3.0.28 this morning. So far, everything is working extremely well, does seem more stable.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 36 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well. I would do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping in case you need to factory reset later on. Saves time. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@DickDuke wrote:

RBK30 system plus two RBS20 satellites all updated (manually) to 2.3.0.28 this morning. So far, everything is working extremely well, does seem more stable.

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7