Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WDNR4300v2 One device displays twice in the Network Map

index4u
Aspirant

WDNR4300v2 One device displays twice in the Network Map

My Genie's network map shows the same device, a TiVo Roamio Pro, twice. In each detail display, only the IP Address varies. One of the addresses matches the one displayed in the Roamio's network settings, the other address doesn't match. Until yesterday, this device was connected to the WDNR4300v2 wirelessly, but now the connection type for both instances is shown as wired even though I have run only one Ethernet cable from the Roamio to the router.

I see no way to remove the bogus instance of the device. How can I correct this?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: WDNR4300v2 One device displays twice in the Network Map

Ok.  Some TIVOs have built-in WiFi.  If the TIVO WiFi is associated with Orbi and you have it wired as well, you would get two different IPs.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

I have a printer doing a similar thing. On is the real address, the other is a 169 address, which is especially odd.
Message 2 of 7
st_shaw
Master

It is possible (even common) for a device to have more than one IP address with only a single wired connection. I have several devices on my network that have more than one IP.

It's more likely that your router is displaying stale data because you changed routers. Power cycle your router and your TIVO and it should go away.

You should power cycle everything when you change routers or you can see strange behavior like this.

Message 3 of 7
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Some devices, yes. But not a Tivo, and certainly not a 169 address.  It looks like Orbi is listening for and caching arp requests, with a very long expiration timer. Combine that with other devices caching and responding and there appears to be effectively a very long life cycle for arp entries.

Side note: Since the installation of the Orbi, I've noticed a very interesting thing happening. I use AD integrated DNS/DHCP instead of the Orbi.  Since the Orbi install, devices tend to lease a different address at expiration instead of re-claiming the one it already has leased. That doesn't make sense because the Orbi isnt' involved in the DHCP process.  I noticed because I have multiple devices in my device list, some I have manually identified, others "unknown", all with the same MAC.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

It looks like Orbi is listening for and caching arp requests, with a very long expiration timer. Combine that with other devices caching and responding and there appears to be effectively a very long life cycle for arp entries.

Yes. This is why I said the OP should power-cycle everything. That would clear the cached entries.

I also assumed the other WNDR router is disconnected.  If not that could cause issues also, two DHCP servers, etc.

Message 5 of 7
index4u
Aspirant

I power cycled both the router and the TiVo. For a few minutes, only one instance of the TiVo appeared in the network map, but then the second instance reappeared.

Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Ok.  Some TIVOs have built-in WiFi.  If the TIVO WiFi is associated with Orbi and you have it wired as well, you would get two different IPs.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7