Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WIFI dropping, hard wired PC still works - RBR50

wesseljc
Aspirant

WIFI dropping, hard wired PC still works - RBR50

Route will drop WIFI and satellites frequently - My PC attached via network cable has internet access - but both Orbi satellites and all wifi attached devices are dropped.  this is happening 2-3 times in the evenings.  I will reset the router (power on-off) and get wifei back in <4 min.

Firmware version is 2.1.4.16

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

De-activated the settings as recommended.  did no help as I lost connectivity again and had to restart router.  

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Message 4 of 25
sjthespian
Guide

I'm in the same boat, I have random wifi drops and slow performnace with my Orbi RBR50 (with two satellites). I run the Orbi in AP mode since I already have a firewall and router.  In fact, I have a farily extensive home network with an assortment of systems and IoT devices. Everything is fine without the Orbi, whether I pull out my Netgear Nighthawk or my old Cisco AP. The Orbi is great after a power-cycle, but performance slowly degrades over time until it becomes almost unsuable from *any* device connected to the wifi -- MacBook Pro, assorted iPhones or android tablets or even simple embedded devcies that are only sending a small HTTP request every 15 seconds.

The Orbi of course shows solid connections to both satellites.

And I have tried all of the suggestions from this forum post and others, all to no avail (changing 2.4GHz channels, disabling assorted settings, etc). It also affects all devcies using the Orib, whether 2.4 or 5 GHz. And it isn't anything as simple as a saturated network connection, the uplink at the moment is runnign at only 100Kb at the moment, while my iPhone can't even downlaod a simple web page on the WiFi. The only thing that is consistent is that it works after a reboot and degrades over time.

I even took a walk around the house with a couple of Android wifi scanning apps and signal strengh is great everywhere.

If only this thing supported syslog (or any other sort of logging) I could get it to log to my server and see if there were any errors or other intersting messages.

My Setup (DSL -> pfSense firewall -> Cisco 3750 -> RBR50)

Message 5 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

netgear RBR50 - 2500 Square feet, two satelites - one is 15 feet away with direct line of sight, second is also 25 feet away - but on second floor.  Main computer is hard wired to router and when the wifi goes down there is still internet connection through PC.  There are neighboors nearby with WIFI but this is a stand alone residence - no one within 100 feet.

During last outage - I checked error log - which displayed the following: "Critical (3) - no ranging response received - T3 time out"

I have set 2.4 Ghz channel to 1, 5GHZ channel is set at 48

Disabled MU-MIMO

Disabled IPv6

Message 6 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

Replaced router - new router CBR40 - same issue

system went out again - new error message:  MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO= -1 post cfgfile MIMO = -1

please help - this is beyond frustrating and entering into intolearable.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

The distance between the base router and satellites are too close. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. I have mine at 40 feet in between. Wood and dry wall contstruction.

@wesseljc wrote:

netgear RBR50 - 2500 Square feet, two satelites - one is 15 feet away with direct line of sight, second is also 25 feet away - but on second floor.  Main computer is hard wired to router and when the wifi goes down there is still internet connection through PC.  There are neighboors nearby with WIFI but this is a stand alone residence - no one within 100 feet.

During last outage - I checked error log - which displayed the following: "Critical (3) - no ranging response received - T3 time out"

I have set 2.4 Ghz channel to 1, 5GHZ channel is set at 48

Disabled MU-MIMO

Disabled IPv6

Message 8 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

Have removed the satellite which was 15 feet away.  Did not fix the issue

re-istalled the original RBR50 - and now service is worse.

Still have connectivity through hard wired PC throughrouter - but wireless is inconsistent and dropping.

work and family are seriously being disrupted right now.  this log and reply every 24 hours is not solving the problem - please escalate to next tier or level.

Message 9 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

additional info - router now has a solid magenta color showing - 

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What ISP service do you have?

Are you using the RBR50 or the CBR40?

Message 11 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

I have switched back to the RBR50 - I am not familiar with how to check for "unused channels".

Question for FURRYe38 - are you with Netgear support?  Or is this a general community?

Message 12 of 25
deesto
Guide

This doesn't help in my case Furry, please see my other posts in regards to FW in serious need of developing/fixing! I changed ALL of the settings reccomended by you and support, to no avail. It tunrs out it is the order in which you switch on these units that helps me. Will see if that sticks...! You honestly need to power these devices CLEAN, with no Ethernets plugged in AT ALL, otherwise system behaves erratically - REALLY erratically and inconsistent.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647497/highligh...

@deesto wrote:

This doesn't help in my case Furry, please see my other posts in regards to FW in serious need of developing/fixing! I changed ALL of the settings reccomended by you and support, to no avail. It tunrs out it is the order in which you switch on these units that helps me. Will see if that sticks...! You honestly need to power these devices CLEAN, with no Ethernets plugged in AT ALL, otherwise system behaves erratically - REALLY erratically and inconsistent.

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Some scanners to try:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/screenshots.php

http://nutsaboutnets.com

http://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

@wesseljc wrote:

I have switched back to the RBR50 - I am not familiar with how to check for "unused channels".

Question for FURRYe38 - are you with Netgear support?  Or is this a general community?

Message 15 of 25
mark0824
Aspirant

I have had my RBK50 with one satellite for almost 2 years (3k sq ft house with 900sq ft basement). Almost no issues. I added a wall unit to get some better coverage upstairs for upstairs, 3 floors, including basement, router is in basement office with cable modem, 1st floor has a satellite and 2ndfloor has the wall plugin. Well, same thing as OP started, once a day wireless slows to a crawl later in the day (desktop is wired with zero issues so it cannot be a modem issue) then stops even though the satellites are green. Router then says offline, my 2 cameras go down (Logicircle 2 been connected for over 8 months+ no issues) and can only get it working with a reboot. 

I buy a new one RBK50 and setup on Sunday. Set it up with the router in basement, satellite on 1st floor, wall unit plugged in on 2nd and the original satellite on the 2nd in a back bedroom.. All appears good then on Tuesday, it goes down. Reset and it goes down again yesterday. I then update firmware, and remove 2 satellites using the one that came with the new unit. I am on comcast and have a Netgear CM600 with 150mb speed.  I setup one at a time. It is in Star Pattern but I think I have also tried daisy chain and that did not help. IPV6 was off and I just put it on last night. I do not have set channels for 2.4 or 5 just using auto for now. I do have neighbsors that are 100 feet away but I can see their networks. 

I have not added any device except the wall plugin so maybe that was the cupirt but I did unplug that yesterday before it froze agian and stopped working. Maybe it a problem with the older satellite or having more than 1 sateliite? I have that unplugged now. It makes no sense to be honest. I really need tow satellites and if I cannt get thos working, its if to eero for me.

Help is appreciated.

Thyanks 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 16 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post in the root of this forum please. Copy and paste yoru info there.

@mark0824 wrote:

I have had my RBK50 with one satellite for almost 2 years (3k sq ft house with 900sq ft basement). Almost no issues. I added a wall unit to get some better coverage upstairs for upstairs, 3 floors, including basement, router is in basement office with cable modem, 1st floor has a satellite and 2ndfloor has the wall plugin. Well, same thing as OP started, once a day wireless slows to a crawl later in the day (desktop is wired with zero issues so it cannot be a modem issue) then stops even though the satellites are green. Router then says offline, my 2 cameras go down (Logicircle 2 been connected for over 8 months+ no issues) and can only get it working with a reboot. 

I buy a new one RBK50 and setup on Sunday. Set it up with the router in basement, satellite on 1st floor, wall unit plugged in on 2nd and the original satellite on the 2nd in a back bedroom.. All appears good then on Tuesday, it goes down. Reset and it goes down again yesterday. I then update firmware, and remove 2 satellites using the one that came with the new unit. I am on comcast and have a Netgear CM600 with 150mb speed.  I setup one at a time. It is in Star Pattern but I think I have also tried daisy chain and that did not help. IPV6 was off and I just put it on last night. I do not have set channels for 2.4 or 5 just using auto for now. I do have neighbsors that are 100 feet away but I can see their networks. 

I have not added any device except the wall plugin so maybe that was the cupirt but I did unplug that yesterday before it froze agian and stopped working. Maybe it a problem with the older satellite or having more than 1 sateliite? I have that unplugged now. It makes no sense to be honest. I really need tow satellites and if I cannt get thos working, its if to eero for me.

Help is appreciated.

Thyanks 

Message 17 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

Arris Surfboard  TM822R

but with the CBR40 - this was not used and I was still experiencing the same problem

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now what wireless neighbors you have near by and how many and what channels they are using?

Do you have any other wifi sources around the house, like any extenders or video streamers of the sort?

@wesseljc wrote:

Arris Surfboard  TM822R

but with the CBR40 - this was not used and I was still experiencing the same problem

Message 19 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

Think I answered the neighbors question in an earlier post - the point to take away is NOTHING has changed over the past 6 months except router began dropping wifi about two months ago and I have since purchase the new modem and a wall plug extender - none of which have solved the problem.

Please out line a series on steps which I can try with my current set up that does not include asking the neighbors to turn off their wifi....  also - please know my patience is about at it's end - last night the wifi service dropped 3x in the period of an hour and this cannot continue.  

Asking questions about channels and neighrbors doe snot seem to be getting closer to a resolution.  Lastly - you did not answer my questions... are you part of netgear support?  or a general community?

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try this...

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Set WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling the following:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6. Save settings and reboot the router.

Lets turn OFF ALL satellites. Please run just the router only and see if the problem still happens...

Message 21 of 25
wesseljc
Aspirant

I will try this when at home this evening and report back - thank you

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Lets try this...

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Set WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling the following:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6. Save settings and reboot the router.

Lets turn OFF ALL satellites. Please run just the router only and see if the problem still happens...

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 25
sjthespian
Guide

To add some more data, I pointed my smokeping install at my Ring Doorbell (on the WiFi at 5 GHz). You can see how poor the reponse gets with ping responses as high as 11 sec at some times. When it isn't bad the average is closer to 10 ms. The pair of 2 GHz devices I pointed smokeping at show similar trends, although not as bad with the normal average being around 5 ms and the peaks at 1.5 sec.

I also tried turning off one of the satellites Thu afternoon, as far as I can tell it made virtually no difference.

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post this to a new post. Your test maybe results of a different environment and configuration from the OP here.

Make a new post and lets see if we can help you out some.

@sjthespian wrote:

To add some more data, I pointed my smokeping install at my Ring Doorbell (on the WiFi at 5 GHz). You can see how poor the reponse gets with ping responses as high as 11 sec at some times. When it isn't bad the average is closer to 10 ms. The pair of 2 GHz devices I pointed smokeping at show similar trends, although not as bad with the normal average being around 5 ms and the peaks at 1.5 sec.

I also tried turning off one of the satellites Thu afternoon, as far as I can tell it made virtually no difference.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7