Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIFI signal strength varies

dwade
Aspirant

WIFI signal strength varies

Hello! I'm a brand new Orbo user.

6 days in & the problems with my old system have been resolved.

I do have a couple of minor problems. My WIFI signal meter will vary in strength. I don't ever seem to be losing signal but my devices will show a drop in strength. Perhaps this is normal? A 'reboot' of sorts to keep things at their maximum potential?

I dunno.

I'd also like to make sure I'm not broadcasting my SSID. It doesn't work the way the instructions say. I did find a way in advanced mode to shut off the broadcast of the 2.4gHz & 5gHz networks individually but it seems that it shuts network down entirely, rather than just the broadast of the SSID.

The mobile app is OK at best but it is workable and helpful, if imperfect. The online control panel is muche more indepth and stable.

Overall, my brief experiece with the Orbi has been fabulous.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
dwade
Aspirant

Re: WIFI signal strength varies

That's just it......even when manually adding a network, my network didn't exist.

I've dealt with a fair number of hidden networks. Including all of my networks for the past decade. They never show up when scanning for available networks because they're hidden. That's completely normal & I get that. 

I appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi web interface provides a method to turn off Broadcast of the SSID on both 2.4G and 5G.

The Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings, has options to Enable/Disable SSID Broadcast on each WiFi frequency.

I am sure there is a good reason to hide the SSID. So far, I have not needed to.

Message 2 of 10
dwade
Aspirant

I tried to 'hide' the broadcast of my SSID in the advanced tab but it didn't just hide the SSID. It shut the WIFI down completely.

The reason: safety/security. No need to blast to everyone within reach of my signal.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

What was the evidence that the WiFi was shut off? There are specific procedures to connect to a "hidden" network.

When I disable SSID, my WiFi Analyzer program shows an access point on the same channel as my Orbi with the same ether net MAC address ax my Orbi. In other words, it is my Orbi but not broadcasting SSID.
Message 4 of 10
dwade
Aspirant

None of my devices were able to access the web. No WIFI signal icons appeared. When I instructed my devices to look for the network, it wouldn't show up.

I hid the SSID on all of my systems for a number of years. All of the WIFI in our offices is hidden.

I'm sure I just have to figure out exactly how this system operates and communicates. This is certainly not a huge a problem. Just something I noticed.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If your concerned about reach of your Orbi broadcast, you can turn down the wifi signal on the radios from 100% to say 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@dwade wrote:

I tried to 'hide' the broadcast of my SSID in the advanced tab but it didn't just hide the SSID. It shut the WIFI down completely.

The reason: safety/security. No need to blast to everyone within reach of my signal.

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@dwade wrote:

None of my devices were able to access the web. No WIFI signal icons appeared. When I instructed my devices to look for the network, it wouldn't show up.

I hid the SSID on all of my systems for a number of years. All of the WIFI in our offices is hidden.

What you observed is what is supposed to happen.  When SSID is not being broadcast, any device that automatically displays a list of available WiFi neworks will not show it.  On my Android phone, there is a line underneath all of the available WiFi networksk called "+Add a Network".  Click on that and it brings up a screen where I can enter the SSID/password and connect to a hidden network.

This is different from the network being "turned off".

Message 7 of 10
dwade
Aspirant

That's just it......even when manually adding a network, my network didn't exist.

I've dealt with a fair number of hidden networks. Including all of my networks for the past decade. They never show up when scanning for available networks because they're hidden. That's completely normal & I get that. 

I appreciate your help.

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

OK.  I am stumped.  The reply has been accepted as a solution, but apparently the problem is not resolved?

I just did an experiment with my Orbi.  On the web interface, I change to no longer broadcast my Guest SSID.  Used my Samsung Galaxy Tab A.  The guest SSID did not appear.  Selected "Add a network".  Entered the guest SSID and the tablet connected right off.

OK. Let's try the primary SSID.  Went to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, and turned off "Broadcast SSID for both 2.4G and 5G.  Went back to the tablet and "added" another network.  This time, my primary Orbi network.  Put in the SSID and password.  "Connect", and "Bob your uncle!" I'm connected.

So, MY Orbi behaves the way I expected.  SSID is hidden.  The Orbi WiFi network does not appear.  But, if I "add" it using the SSID and password, my tablet connects.

My impression is that this is what was expected to happen with YOUR Orbi, but did not.  Correct?

Message 9 of 10
dwade
Aspirant

That would be correct.

I expected what you described but that's not what I got.

I'll mess with a bit more when times allows.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7