Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WPA3 and Wifi6 capable?

Russ2020
Aspirant

WPA3 and Wifi6 capable?

Before I buy a replacement router/mesh system I need to know whether it will support WPA3 and Wifi6.  I was looking at the Netgear website and could not find specs for the Orbi Tri-Band Mesh WiFi Router (RBR20).

Since I don't currently own the mentioned router and/or sattalites I don't have firmware or OS.  I believe the model number is RBR20 though I don't know that for sure.  The environment will be a multistory home.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WPA3 and Wifi6 capable?

I would recommend holding off on WPA3 on home routers. Until router mfrs can fully make both WPA2 and WPA3 work together. Current NG Orbi AX routers don't support mixed modes. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The RBR20 series is not currently wpa3 capable. And they're not wifi 6 devices. You'd need to step up to the orbi devices that support it. this page lists all netgear's AX (wifi 6) devices. 

https://www.netgear.com/landings/wifi6/

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would recommend holding off on WPA3 on home routers. Until router mfrs can fully make both WPA2 and WPA3 work together. Current NG Orbi AX routers don't support mixed modes. 

Message 3 of 6
Russ2020
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice.  I'm not normally an early acceptor but I'm trying to help my family. I saw an article that implied that WPA3, accepted in 2018 according to the article, was a done deal.  The article also talked about WiFi6 was fairly new and in development.  I might have got this reversed but I thought I would check.  I saw positive reviews of the Orbi Mesh system which I thought was interesting.  I'm not thrilled about the price so from that point of view I might wait until other manufacturers come out with their products to see if there is a price adjustment.

Message 4 of 6
Russ2020
Aspirant

Thank you for the link.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Accepted yes, implemented and bugs worked out, that remains to be seen. It's still being developed on and bugs worked out. 

WPA2 still sitll safe to use and you'll be fine not to worry about it.

The prices are what they are. Another consideration is that do you really need WiFi 6 at this time? Can you fully take advantage of it? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7