Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wake on LAN / WAN

diodorus
Guide

Wake on LAN / WAN

Hello!

I'd ultimately like to be able to wake a (wired) PC from WAN.

I can currently do that from the LAN, for example from an andrid phone using a Wake On Lan app.

But I can't do that from the WAN though (e.g. on 3G/4G mobile internet). I am however able to remotely connect to the router using telnet: is there a command there I can use to wake the PC?

Thanks

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
NXIXN
Apprentice

I assume your PC supports bios WoL. If so, have you tried doing a WoL using another PC from remote location? In this way you can isolate the problem is not the PC and not your router where this PC you want to wakeup. What kind of NETGEAR router do you own and who is your ISP?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Message 2 of 14
diodorus
Guide

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I follow you though. As I mentioned, the WoL already works when I am on the LAN (so yes, the bios supports it), I'm now trying to do that from outside the LAN. My ISP is VirginMedia UK, and I have an Orbi RBK30.

Could you please leaborate a bit more (I'm not too technical about networks.)

Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
NXIXN
Apprentice

I apologize. I misunderstood a bit your post. Since locally the WoL works fine. I think doing port forwarding on your Orbi router for udp ports 7 and 9 should help resolve the WoL via WAN.

Message 4 of 14
diodorus
Guide

I have tried that already, but didn't work for me. I forgot to mention that my ORBI is in AP mode, and I am using the virginmedia superhub (a rebranded netgear modem/router) as main router. (By the way: can anyone confirm if that method works when using the ORBI as router?)

That's why I was considering the telnet option: is there a command I can run on the ORBI via telnet to wake the PC?

Message 5 of 14
NXIXN
Apprentice

If you are using the orbi in AP mode it will have nothing to do with your WAN access to make WoL work as your NAT is on the modem/router. Also the port forwarding rules is not applicable on the Orbi router since it is only acting as an AP. You should forward the udp ports in the modem/router.

Message 6 of 14
diodorus
Guide

Yes of course I was forwarding the ports in the superhub modem/router, not the orbi, how could I have done otherwsie, if it's in AP model?

Thath's why I also asked "by the way: can anyone confirm if that method [i.e. port forwarding] works when using the ORBI as router [instead of AP mode]?")

I appreciate your efforts but if you want to help could you please focus on my inital question about telnet: is there a command I can run on the ORBI via telnet to wake the PC?

Message 7 of 14
au10tic
Tutor

I do not believe there is a way to reboot (turn on a pc from an off state) via telnet, i dont think there is a command for that. You can type help to see the commands available on a telnet session.

As for trying this, thats one of the things i will be using the orbit for. I havent bought it yet, but i've tried it on a router i am using as a bridge/repeater running DD-WRT, and i was able to accomplished this by doing port forwarding on the main router to the bridge's IP on port 7. And because how WOL works, the packet will be sent to the machine you are trying to turn on by using its MAC Address. Perhaps you may want to try that and see if it works, of course assuming that the mobile app you are using is capable of sending packets via WAN.

Message 8 of 14
diodorus
Guide

Thanks, I get these commands:

. : [ [[ alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec
exit export false fg getopts hash help history jobs kill let
local printf pwd read readonly return set shift source test times
trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait

In the meantime, I've changed the ORBI from AP to Router mode (although this is not ideal in my case because I "loose" the LAN ports on ISP router, which would be helpful to have access to), and - also having instructed ORBI to forward port 9 to the PC I want to wake up - the WAL now also works from the mobile. However I think I read in some posts that this usually only works temporarily, and you loose that after 15-20 mins, I'll see how this goes. au10tic: is that what you meant, or were you suggesting something else (that I then have not understood)?

Message 9 of 14
NXIXN
Apprentice

I am confident that using a router to an AP mode disables most of the features of the router and one of them is port forwarding and this is true in any brand of router I have owned. Port forwarding is what you do to allow communication to a device behind a NAT and setting up a router as an AP disables the NAT.

Message 10 of 14
diodorus
Guide

But (again) that's not relevant for my original scenario!!

I wasn't forwarding anything in orbi at that point of course, I was forwarding using the ISP router. The forwarding rule was exactly the same as the one I now have on the orbi. So it was the ISP router (Netgear superhub) that was not allowing the wow, since doing exactly the same on the orbi (now as a router) works, at least for the moment.
Message 11 of 14
NXIXN
Apprentice

I read your reply to au10tic that it is working now though your worrying it might be just temporary. Anyway, glad to hear it is working at the moment.Hopefully, it will stay solid with the Orbi. 

Message 12 of 14
au10tic
Tutor

@diodoruswhat port forwarding settings did you use in the orbi? this is one of the features i am hoping to get on the orbi before i make the decission, please advise.

Message 13 of 14
diodorus
Guide

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7