Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Want to change a connected streaming devices from 5G to 2.4G

12tom
Follower

Want to change a connected streaming devices from 5G to 2.4G

I am streming HD music through a bluesound system. The suggestion from the audio guys and the manufacturer is to make sure to have 2.4G, not 5G ste for these devices. They automatically set to 5G. I can't find a way to switch them to 2.4G.

Is there an interface to do this?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Jetdrive
Luminary

Re: Want to change a connected streaming devices from 5G to 2.4G

The device determines which band to connect to, not the wifi router. You might try moving the device far enough away from the router so that only the 2.4 signal is available. Another thing to do is turn off the SSID broadcast for 5ghz in the router but that would affect all your devices on your network. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Not sure why they're recommending 2.4ghz. 5ghz tends to have less interference and higher throughput. 

Were you having issues with the sound system or why were they recommending 2.4ghz?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this the system being discussed? https://www.bluesound.com/ 

The product specifications show that all products (with WiFi, the Vault doesn't do WiFi), support WiFi 5 (802.11ac, dual band)

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/200507516-Where-can-I-find-manuals-or-specification... 

It is good that products that cost this much have telephone support.  It might be worth another call to confirm what the issue is.  For example, it appears that the Bluesound products use IP multicast broadcasts to announce their availability.

I agree with @plemans that 5G connections generally have better performance than 2.4G because there is less "going on" at 5G (no microwaves, no bluetooth, fewer devices, etc.).  For audio, bandwidth should be "no issue".  10 devices streaming audio will produce a fraction of the bandwidth of one HD TV streaming 4K video.

When you call back, perhaps it would be useful to have at hand information about how (a) the smartphone or tablet and (b) each of the Bluesound devices are connected.  The Orbi "app" or the Orbi web interface will show whether each is connected to 2.4G or 5G.  So,, for example, if EVERYTHING is connected to the Orbi at 5G, any talk of 2.4G makes little sense.  If one Bluesound is connected to a different channel that everything else, and this is the unit having problems.... that is more interesting.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7