Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Want to use Orbi RBK53 as primary router and mesh with Airport Extreme as extender

DaddyMan
Aspirant

Want to use Orbi RBK53 as primary router and mesh with Airport Extreme as extender

I am replacing my Apple Airport Extreme Base station router with Orbi RBK53 and want to re-purpose my Airport Extreme (AE) as an extender/beacon (in bridge mode) but without using any ethernet cables from the AE. I am fine if the AE needs to be plugged in to the Orbi for the time I need to go through the factory reset and re-setup as a bridge, but operationally I would like to have the AE setup as a bridge/extender/beacon in my basement (well within signal range of the router RBR50).

Can anyone confirm this is do-able? Existing answers I have read on this forum all say that the have cables running to the router or a switch connected to the router - this unfortunately is not an option for me!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Want to use Orbi RBK53 as primary router and mesh with Airport Extreme as extender

You can use AE in wireless bridge mode if it supports it. It should connect to the 5ghz radio on the orbi as a connected client. 

You'll have to try this out and see. You'll need to refer to Apples support site and information on configuration of the AE...

Message 2 of 10
AC641
Luminary

Re: Want to use Orbi RBK53 as primary router and mesh with Airport Extreme as extender

Is using a couple of Powerline Adapters an option to give you the Ethernet connection?  

Message 3 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@DaddyMan wrote:

I am replacing my Apple Airport Extreme Base station router with Orbi RBK53 and want to re-purpose my Airport Extreme (AE) as an extender/beacon (in bridge mode) but without using any ethernet cables from the AE. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31083/Can-I-connect-AirPort-Extreme-AirPort-Time-Capsule-or-AirPort-Express-t...

Message 4 of 10
DaddyMan
Aspirant

ekhalil - that is precisely what I am unable to do - connect using cables

@ekhalil wrote:

@DaddyMan wrote:

I am replacing my Apple Airport Extreme Base station router with Orbi RBK53 and want to re-purpose my Airport Extreme (AE) as an extender/beacon (in bridge mode) but without using any ethernet cables from the AE. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31083/Can-I-connect-AirPort-Extreme-AirPort-Time-Capsule-or-AirPort-Express-t...

Message 5 of 10
DaddyMan
Aspirant

@AC641 wrote:

Is using a couple of Powerline Adapters an option to give you the Ethernet connection?  

I would still have the issue of running cables from the adapter to the Airport Extreme (AE) Basestation as extender/bridge. It's an impractical option but slightly better than running Ethernet cables end-to-end through walls & floors...

Message 6 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@DaddyMan wrote:

ekhalil - that is precisely what I am unable to do - connect using cables

I'm afraid this is your only option to be able to use the Aiport as extender to Orbi.

Message 7 of 10
DaddyMan
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can use AE in wireless bridge mode if it supports it. It should connect to the 5ghz radio on the orbi as a connected client. 

You'll have to try this out and see. You'll need to refer to Apples support site and information on configuration of the AE...

@FURRYe38 - will have to try that - so far it seems experimentation is the way to go forward - will be an undertaking and sharing on this forum - any thoughts on how do I ensure testing if the AE is functioning as desired?

Message 8 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@DaddyMan wrote:

will have to try that - so far it seems experimentation is the way to go forward - will be an undertaking and sharing on this forum - any thoughts on how do I ensure testing if the AE is functioning as desired?

I tried to connect my Airport Time Capsule wirelessly to Orbi but that did not work for me! I did not get the option "Extend Cusrrent Network" that you usually get if the network is from another Airport router.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if the AE will be compatbile in wireless bridge mode, so you can try the following:

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 

Also try this as well:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.
v210 Daisy chain fixed:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-doesn-t-work-with-Chromecast-Please-help/m-p/1652882/high...

You should have a satellite in place of where there AE would be needed...Are you just using the AE as additional support for connections? 

@DaddyMan wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@FURRYe38 - will have to try that - so far it seems experimentation is the way to go forward - will be an undertaking and sharing on this forum - any thoughts on how do I ensure testing if the AE is functioning as desired?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7