Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: We're not the only ones...

Mayhugh1
Apprentice

We're not the only ones...

I decided to troll some of the other communities to see if it is really only the Orbi that's giving some of its users fits. It seems that other high end routers have been experiencing very similar sounding problems. Netgear's own Nighthawk is another example. These problems don't seem to be limited to Netgear either. If you listen to the users over on Linksys's tri-band community you'd swear that you were listening to the same complaints being brought up here. They recently provided a roll-back to an earlier version of firmware because so many users had problems their recent release. Some users are so frustrated that they have also been sending their equipment back for a refund. The brands that aren't receiving so much negative commentary are the ones without public forums. For example, I couldn't find an Asus open forum.
These routers and the systems we're using them have become so complex that I think the days of boring - it just works - operation may be over. The manufacture's may have to start thinking about smart software that can recover the system transparently to the user when it senses things are becoming flaky. I'm also wondering if all the high end routers are using the same chipsets and therefore the reason why everyone seems to be suffering from the same problems.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

nice post.

IMHO......like what you mentioned about days gone by where the internet/wifi/routers were at the most part a simple operation.  Now days there are more varibles to each home and setup.  Heck i've heard of folks here doing things with a router I would have never dreamed of 20+ years ago.  This is not to mention, today there is lot more folks (some call them IT like or minded) that grew out of the Windows experience.  They tend to be a bit more savy and desire the ability to 'tweak' their system.  I salute the engineers who are trying to stay on top of the whole mess.  Merry Christmas to all!

Message 2 of 10
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Regardless of everything posted, the Orbi RBK53 has still given me personally the best experience I've had in trying out different routers in the past 10 years. It's not to say it doesn't need improvement, because it does. And I do think they could do better instead of failing like it does for some people. A little bit smarter software to diagnose problems would go far in this segment.

Message 3 of 10
netgearguy
Apprentice

You must not have trolled Eero...their support forum is so quiet it's a complete bore, and their Amazon ratings are 85% 5 star, 5% 4 star.  

I have an Eero system at home that I'm switching back and forth from the Orbi, and I will stick with Eero if Orbi doesn't settle down during my return window. The Eero is so reliable that it's completely invisible. 🙂  It is a little slower than the Orbi in terms of speeds, but the differnece between 100 mbps and 130 mbps when surfing the web, or even streaming a video is insignificant.

I'm really only still trying to get Orbi to work out of stubborn inertia - I've been using Netgear products forever and find it surprisingly hard to give up. 🙂 

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 10
Phandam
Apprentice

I switched to Google Wifi about 3 months ago from Orbi, and it has been rock solid.   It is not as fast, but the only time I notice the slower speed is if I do a speed test, otherwise it is set and forget.      I am considering switching to Eero if they ever release the product in the EU.     

Message 5 of 10
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

I agree, netgearguy.  I fought the Orbi battle for six months, and finally gave up and got an Eero Pro.  Unfortunately, I gave the Orbi RBK53 to a friend (for free, because I don't believe in selling problems to a friend) and am still fighting the Eero issues with him to get a stable system.  But as for my own Eero Pro (V2 system), I have been completely trouble free at my own home.  You're right - the Eero forum is quiet, because it is completely trouble free.  I haven't had a single problem since I installed it.  The one time that I had a question to the Eero folks (i.e., would Nest products that needed to pass IPv6 traffic through the network work with Eero?), the Eero folks responded within a couple of hours to say "no problem".  Installed ten Nest Smoke/CO detectors and guess what - no problem whatsoever.  I could not be more pleased with the Eero.  Now, if I could just get my friend's Orbi working correctly, life would really be good.

@netgearguy wrote:

You must not have trolled Eero...their support forum is so quiet it's a complete bore, and their Amazon ratings are 85% 5 star, 5% 4 star.  

I have an Eero system at home that I'm switching back and forth from the Orbi, and I will stick with Eero if Orbi doesn't settle down during my return window. The Eero is so reliable that it's completely invisible. 🙂  It is a little slower than the Orbi in terms of speeds, but the differnece between 100 mbps and 130 mbps when surfing the web, or even streaming a video is insignificant.

I'm really only still trying to get Orbi to work out of stubborn inertia - I've been using Netgear products forever and find it surprisingly hard to give up. 🙂 

Message 6 of 10
netgearguy
Apprentice

@DarrellRiffe

I processed my Orbi return with Amazon today, will ship it back in the next day or so. It just doesn't work, reboots repeatedly each day, and Netgear level 2 support cannot help me.

Eero has been running stable with zero issues for the last two weeks. Time to move on, unfortunately. Best to all.
Message 7 of 10
Andrew_Scott
Guide

I’m guessing the majority of forum visitors are here because they’ve experienced problems and are probably not indicative of the general Orbi population. Presumably most Orbi users don’t register and drop by to post “everything’s running well” messages. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
netgearguy
Apprentice

The point, @Andrew_Scott, isn't that we aren't hearing a lot from the happy customers here (that's true on any support forum, including Eero). It's that when you compare forum activity levels and types of issues raised, the Eero forum 1) Does not have a persistent, active, and high volume of unhappy customers posting about problems, and 2) Does not have volumes of posts about the most basic "it just doesn't work" issues (rebooting, loss of connectivity, loss of accurate connectivity info) like you see here.  Take a look at the Eero forums and you'll see what I mean. 

I am a long-term Netgear FAN (just look at my screen name!). 🙂  I wanted to stay w/Orbi, but for me (and others as is obvious from this forum) it just doesn't work, and Eero just does work. I'm not happy about that, but it's (my and too many others') reality. 

Message 9 of 10
Andrew_Scott
Guide

Interesting.

I washed up on the shores of this community when my first Orbi wouldn’t work but the replacement has been very solid. I keep coming back because the discussion has me concerned that I made a mistake with this purchase. I'm also planning a new home and trialing the Orbi for that build. Right now that's far from certain so these comparisons with other brands are very useful.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7