Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Weaker 2.4 ghz wifi after firmware upgrade on my Orbi RBR/SBR 50

cdysthe
Virtuoso

Weaker 2.4 ghz wifi after firmware upgrade on my Orbi RBR/SBR 50

Hi,

After my Orbi RBR/SBR 50 was updated to firmware V2.7.0.70 2.4 ghz Wifi performance, stability and range is down. In some remote rooms in my house devices gets switched to 2.4. Ghz but now it's m much slower and weaker in those rooms. Was something related to 2.4 Ghz changed in this firmware release and is there anything I can do to get the performance and stability back?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

@cdysthe wrote:
Hi,

After my Orbi RBR/SBR 50 was updated to firmware V2.7.0.70 2.4 ghz Wifi performance, stability and range is down. In some remote rooms in my house devices gets switched to 2.4. Ghz but now it's m much slower and weaker in those rooms. Was something related to 2.4 Ghz changed in this firmware release and is there anything I can do to get the performance and stability back?

I experienced the opposite. However, on other systems, I experienced what you have found.

I noticed with some systems, after firmware upgrade, it is necessary to reconnect some WIFI devices.

as well as check the settings in the WEB GUI. 

Also some of these settings have changed back to defaults, after updating to 2.7.0.70. Check the settings in the WEB GUI. 

These are arguably the optimum settings:
Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Message 2 of 13
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@Mstrbig wrote:

@cdysthe wrote:
Hi,

I experienced the opposite. However, on other systems, I experienced what you have found.

I noticed with some systems, after firmware upgrade, it is necessary to reconnect some WIFI devices.

as well as check the settings in the WEB GUI. 

Also some of these settings have changed back to defaults, after updating to 2.7.0.70. Check the settings in the WEB GUI. 

These are arguably the optimum settings:
Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Thanks. I've done all the things you suggest including settings except for disabling IPv6 which has worked just fine and should not affect Wi-Fi connectiviy. I always do speed and latency tests on both IPv4 and 6 separately and there's never problems with IPv6. I have also rebooted three times. Looking at this some more it seems like Wi-fi may be weakened for both bands, but worse for 2.4 Ghz. I mostly use the WebGUI since I'm used to  it over many years with Netgear devices. The Orbi app is sleek but very limited as far as settings goes. If this doesn't get better I will have to try to work with placement of the satellite so it reaches those more remote rooms better. 

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 4 of 13
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I do not think the problem is the Satellite/Router distance which has been the same without problems since I got it. I was more thinking moving the sateelite closer to those remote rooms to get 5 Ghz or better 2.4 Ghz in those locations. But I will look at the placement advice you linked to however your link just takes me to a generic Netgear support page.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible when it comes to Orbi. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 13
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Anything is possible when it comes to Orbi. Smiley Wink

I sh

I should probably not ask what that means 🙂 I have been very happy with my Orbi system since I got it, but I'm bit worried now that the days of Orbi-bliss is over 🙂

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Well from what I've seen here in the forums, many things can can happen. 

Also a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed as well. Seen it time and time again, a FW update happens, something appears then a reset seems to fix it. 

Also, sometimes you don't really need to update as well. The old saying is still valid, "if it works, don't fix it!" Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 13
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Also a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed as well. Seen it time and time again, a FW update happens, something appears then a reset seems to fix it. 

Also, sometimes you don't really need to update as well. The old saying is still valid, "if it works, don't fix it!" Smiley Wink

The stupid Orbit app nags you to update so I did! 🙂 I was afraid you would suggest factory reset. I will try that also. 

Message 9 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

Apologies if asked, but have you looked at the 2.4GHZ channel traffic lately? You may have had neighbors add or increase their WIFI, as this is especially popular these days. You may have someone close on the same channel. 

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, you can ignore any Orbi app FW updates if you want to. I prefer to do any FW upates manually by downloading FW files and applying them with a wired PC. Safer that way IMO. 

@cdysthe wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The stupid Orbit app nags you to update so I did! 🙂 I was afraid you would suggest factory reset. I will try that also. 

Message 11 of 13
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@Mstrbig wrote:

Apologies if asked, but have you looked at the 2.4GHZ channel traffic lately? You may have had neighbors add or increase their WIFI, as this is especially popular these days. You may have someone close on the same channel. 

I do not have neightbors with wifi reaching my house. We are all alone in the forest. I use fixed channel 11 for 2.4 Ghz wifi. I have decided to try a factory and have a question. Should I configure my router completely (IP, DHCP, WiFi etc.) before I connect the factory reset satellite?

Message 12 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

@cdysthe wrote:

I do not have neightbors with wifi reaching my house. We are all alone in the forest. I use fixed channel 11 for 2.4 Ghz wifi. I have decided to try a factory and have a question. Should I configure my router completely (IP, DHCP, WiFi etc.) before I connect the factory reset satellite?

Yes it would be better to reconfigure the router completely, then add the satellites. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7