Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Web login won’t display

mswells
Aspirant

Web login won’t display

Just installed my Orbi RBK53, and am able to get the app to work fine along with the web GUI login, on my iPhone....but can’t get the login screen on my hardware desktop.
I have the Orbi in AP mode, which is connected to my ASUS RT-N66u router. I have or, chrome and Firefox browsers with the same result
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@mswells Is this ok now? Do you think the above answers your questions? 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 22

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to clear out all browser caches, exit the browser then re-lauch the brower. You should try logging into the Orbi web page at the IP address assigned to the Orbi that comes from the main host router or try orbilogin.com

Disable any security browser add-ons as well to check. 

@mswells wrote:
Just installed my Orbi RBK53, and am able to get the app to work fine along with the web GUI login, on my iPhone....but can’t get the login screen on my hardware desktop.
I have the Orbi in AP mode, which is connected to my ASUS RT-N66u router. I have or, chrome and Firefox browsers with the same result

Message 2 of 22
mswells
Aspirant

The login does work when using the i.p. address method, but not using orbilogin.com or orbilogin.net. Why ?
Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the Orbi connected to the main host router? Should be using WAN port of the Orbi connected to the host router. 

What FW version is currently loaded on the Orbi? 

Message 4 of 22
mswells
Aspirant

Orbi internet port going to router. I can login to the main, and 2 satellites, if I use the i.p address associated with each device.
Message 5 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Message 6 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@mswells wrote:
The login does work when using the i.p. address method, but not using orbilogin.com or orbilogin.net. Why ?

What do you get when you enter the following command from the command prompt from your computer:

> host orbilogin.com  or

nslookup orbilogin.com

Message 7 of 22
mswells
Aspirant

Host is not recognized as an internal or external command. I tried ping command and am able to get reply’s back.
Message 8 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@mswells wrote:
Host is not recognized as an internal or external command. I tried ping command and am able to get reply’s back.

So you tried ping to orbilogin.com and you got a reply? If yes, from which IP address did you get the reply?

When I try ping orbilogin.com I get the following:

$ ping orbilogin.com

PING orbilogin.com (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=4.047 ms

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, remove the LAN cable between the Orbi and the main host router temporarily. Go in and configure the Orbi for AP mode. After it reboots, can you log in using orbilogin.com then? 

Set back to AP mode after trying this. 

@mswells wrote:

Message 10 of 22
mswells
Aspirant

Looks to be an outside address: 184.168.131.241
Message 11 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@mswells wrote:
Looks to be an outside address: 184.168.131.241

You seem to be trying from a wired computer? Can you access orbilogin.com from a device connected via wifi?

Message 12 of 22
mswells
Aspirant

Yeah, I can login just fine from another pc that is Wifi only.
Does it matter that my other pc is hardwired into the port on my ASUS router as opposed to the Orbi Ethernet port ?
Message 13 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@mswells wrote:
Yeah, I can login just fine from another pc that is Wifi only.
Does it matter that my other pc is hardwired into the port on my ASUS router as opposed to the Orbi Ethernet port ?

Yes, since Orbi is in AP mode it uses the DNS server of your upstream router (the ISP router), so when browsing to orbilogin.com from a wired device you will go directly to the upstream router and get the DNS to resolve the address there, and obviously it will not return your Orbi's private managment IP address!

On the other hand when browsing from a wifi devices the request will pass through Orbi and get the "local DNS" resolve the orbilogin.com to the correct private IP address.

This is not a fault and is working as it should! 🙂

Message 14 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Also in AP mode Orbi's WAN and LAN ports are bridged so I don't think it matters if wired devices are physically connected to Orbi or the upstrram router.
Message 15 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@mswells Is this ok now? Do you think the above answers your questions? 🙂

Message 16 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

I have a feeling the PC he is trying to hit orbilogon.com with is not on HIS wireless network, but another wireless network (his neighbor??)

Can you go to WHATISMYIP.COM on both machines in your house and compare the results?  They SHOUld be the same... if they are not, one of your machines is on a stray network.

Message 17 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

I have a feeling the PC he is trying to hit orbilogon.com with is not on HIS wireless network, but another wireless network (his neighbor??)

Can you go to WHATISMYIP.COM on both machines in your house and compare the results?  They SHOUld be the same... if they are not, one of your machines is on a stray network.

Hi @Chuck_M , this is a special case, when Orbi is in AP Mode the LAN and WAN ports are bridged, so wired devices to the Orbi router will not see Orbi at all since they -in a way- are directly connected to the ISP router! Therefore they will go directly to the ISP router's DNS and thus will never be able to get "orbilogin.com" resolved to the private IP address of Orbi's management port.

Those devices (wired device to Orbi router in AP Mode) should use the IP address of Orbi to reach to the web GUI and not orbilogin.com

Message 18 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

Good point, I didnt think of that.  If you do this, how would you reconfigure your orbi out of AP mode?  (e.g. get to the gui?)

Message 19 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

.............  If you do this, how would you reconfigure your orbi out of AP mode?  (e.g. get to the gui?)

1. Using orbilogin.com from any device connected via wifi to Orbi or wired devices to the satellites
  2. Using the IP address of Orbi (assigned by the ISP router). That's why it's good to make a DHCP reservation for Orbi in the ISP router when you set Orbi in AP mode.
Message 20 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

Thanks, never used it as an AP... this is good to know.  +1

Message 21 of 22
mswells
Aspirant

I ended up just creating an entry for orbilogin.com, in my windows Hosts ile....works fine now.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7