Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Website(s) blocked

Brenkj
Aspirant

Website(s) blocked

I installed my Orbi system Friday. Since then when I try to navigate to CNN.com, I get a weird-looking page that asks for my password (I don’t have a pw for CNN). I’ve gotten a similar page for a couple other sites, but only once or twice and then they started working normally again. Any ideas what’s going on? Thanks.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
ekhalil
Master

Re: Website(s) blocked

You seem to have double NAT in your network that causes this issue. 
If your Orbi is set in Router Mode then you should make sure the ISP modem/router is not also acting as a router. 
What is the model of the ISP modem/router you’re using and do you have the manual for it to see if it can be set in bridged, pass through or DMZ modes?
If you can’t change in the ISP router then you need to keep it as your main router and instead set Orbi in AP Mode.

Message 2 of 9
Brenkj
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.   Our service is through AT&T.   It looks like the brand of the router is is Pace?    The model is 5268AC.     I don't have a manual, but I can look for one online.

Message 3 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Brenkj wrote:

Thanks for the response.   Our service is through AT&T.   It looks like the brand of the router is is Pace?    The model is 5268AC.     I don't have a manual, but I can look for one online.

Thanks, here is the manual. You need to set it up in DMZ Plus mode as described in page 23 of the manual. This is if you want to keep Orbi in Router Mode.

Another option would be to keep the ISP router as is and change Orbi to AP Mode.

Message 4 of 9
Brenkj
Aspirant

Thanks, Ekhalil.   Unfortunately, I get the same type of error page when I try to navigate to the IP address listed in the manual to start the process.

I just spent 3 hours on the phone with AT&T, getting the Pace gateway device placed into bridge mode.   That seems to have worked as I no longer see the ATT device on the list of WiFi options on my laptop.   However, I'm still getting the same error message for the same websites.   The ATT technical support rep said the problem is with the Orbi device.   I should mention the Orbi I bought is certified refurbished.   Is it possible there are some settings on the device that are left over from the previous user that are causing these problems?    Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Brenkj wrote:

.........  However, I'm still getting the same error message for the same websites.   The ATT technical support rep said the problem is with the Orbi device.   I should mention the Orbi I bought is certified refurbished.   Is it possible there are some settings on the device that are left over from the previous user that are causing these problems?    Thanks.

These issues are indication of double NAT so it does not look that the ATT router is now bridged. Did they say that they have changed it to bridged or DMZ Modes? Or have they just switched off wifi?

If they have not done that, and it seems that they have not or failed to do that, then you can instead set Orbi in AP Mode, and keep the ATT router as the main router (please make sure the ATT router is back to it's original settings but with wifi switched off)

You can do this from Orbi by logging in to the web GUI from any computer by browsing to orbilogin.com, login using your admin password, then follow the following links to set Orbi to AP Mode and then click on Apply:

Namnlöst.png

Message 6 of 9
Brenkj
Aspirant

Thanks for your continued help.   I can't access the Orbi login site because of the problem I'm trying to fix (I get the same "password" screen I get for other sites).    Would the be a difference in how my overall network operates if I manage to get the AP mode enabled?

Message 7 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Brenkj wrote:

Thanks for your continued help.   I can't access the Orbi login site because of the problem I'm trying to fix (I get the same "password" screen I get for other sites).   ......

Please do as follows:

1. Check which IP address range your devices that are attached to Orbi are getting. See if they have address starting with 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x
  2. Disconnect the ISP router from the WAN port of Orbi by pulling out the LAN cable.
  3. From a computer attached to Orbi (wired or wireless) use a browser to navigate to the IP address of Orbi which -most likely- is 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1, depending on the IP range you find our in step 1 above.
  4. Use the steps in the previous post to set Orbi to AP Mode

@Brenkj wrote:

........   Would the be a difference in how my overall network operates if I manage to get the AP mode enabled?

There are certain router functionality like DDNS, VPN, Parental Control, ..... which only a router can provide, so choosing Orbi or the ISP router to be your router will also decide which router will provide you with those features.

Message 8 of 9
Brenkj
Aspirant

I really appreciate the responses, but as a non-technical person this is more than I want to mess with.   I'm going to return the refurbished Orbi system and maybe get a new system once I find someone local who can figure out how to properly put my modem into bridge mode.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7