Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Weird behavior ISP router

Benjimcb
Aspirant

Weird behavior ISP router

Hello,

I have a RBK23 Orbi kit for few days and I encountered weird behavior.

My ISP Router is connected to 16 ports Dell unmanaged switch and all my devices are all connected to this switch.

My RBR20 is connected to this switch too in AP mode with the 2.1.4.10 and everything is running fine.

But after some hours, I'm not able to ping my ISP router gateway : 192.168.0.1 who is DHCP providers too.

So I put an Ethernet PC or Wifi PC and I can go on the internet but if I try to ping 192.168.0.1 I get nothing. And it's weird cause after 2 or more ping from PC (ETH or WiFi) I loose connection about 2 minutes and everything running fine after this delay.

All Wi-Fi devices tried are on the Router AP not on satellite.

If I disconnect the ISP Router and reconnect it, gateway IP address comes back and I can go on it to manage my ISP router and ping. But after some hours this behavior is coming back.

Also, I see that all my Wi-Fi device seems really disturb when I want to connect it on but after some disconnection and reconnection, everything seems stable.

Someone could help me please ? 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Weird behavior ISP router

Has a power cycle to OFF the mac ON with this unmanaged switch? 

What is the Mfr and mode# of the swtich and your main host router? 

Can you connect the Orbi AP system to the back of the main host router instead of the switch and test? 

How is the Orbi router connected? WAN to LAN or LAN to LAN? Try LAN to LAN and test. 

Message 2 of 13
Benjimcb
Aspirant

The unmanaged switch is the Powerconnect 2716 model. I don't know if there is a power cycle to Off the Mac On but I don't think it's possible with this one.

I don't understand your question for the "Mfr" and "Mode#".

Yes it's possible to connect the Orbi AP system to the ISP Router.

The Orbi router in AP mode is connected directly from the Dell switch (who is connect to the ISP router) to the WAN Port.

For the last answer I don't know if it's you want to know cause I'm not sure about WAN to LAN or LAN to LAN. It's about the Eth port of the Orbi router or about a config in the system of Orbi ?

Thanks

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Well that was a typo on my part. Sorry, Mfr and model# of the switch and main host router? ALso whats the Mfr of the ISP Modem and model#? 

The WAN to LAN and LAN to LAN is how the physical connections is being done on the Orb router in AP Mode, are you connecting the Orbi using the WAN port on the back of the Orbi or the LAN port when connecting the Orbi to the main host router? 

Might also try connecting the Sateliite directly to the Orbi router instead...

Message 4 of 13
Benjimcb
Aspirant

"Well that was a typo on my part. Sorry, Mfr and model# of the switch and main host router? ALso whats the Mfr of the ISP Modem and model#?"

My ISP is a french one : SFR and the Modem it's a the ISP Modem "SFR LABOXV3B" : Sagemcom La Box 

http://www.sagemcom.com/fr/broadband/decodeurs/cable/la-box/

"Might also try connecting the Sateliite directly to the Orbi router instead..." :

My Eth Backhaul Satelite is connected directly to the Orbi Satelite. It's for this reason that I'm using the WAN Port of the Orbi Router (RBR20 = 1 WAN port and 1 Eth Port).

"The WAN to LAN and LAN to LAN is how the physical connections is being done on the Orb router in AP Mode, are you connecting the Orbi using the WAN port on the back of the Orbi or the LAN port when connecting the Orbi to the main host router? "

So I'm using WAN port directly to the OSP

Message 5 of 13
Benjimcb
Aspirant

My ISP Box is this one (English version) : http://www.sagemcom.com/broadband/set-top-boxes/cable/the-box/

I can print screen the web UI if needed.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The connection between the Orbi rouer and ISP modem/router, try connecting the LAN port from the ORbi router to the ISP modem and see if this changes anything. Seen other posts mentioning that using the LAN to LAN connection has worked for others instead of the WAN port on the Orbi...

The switch you mentioned seemes to be a managed switch, not un-managed:

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-powerconnect-2716-switch-16-ports-managed-desktop-series/specs/

if this is right, then this could be having problems with the Obri router. I would contact the Mfr of this switch and ask them about this and see if this switch has any features that can be disabled. Ask them about disabling IGMP protocols on the switch as one user found this and disabled it and his orbi system started working better for him. 

Message 7 of 13
Benjimcb
Aspirant

I see these posts but If I'm using LAN port instead of the WAN, I'm loosing the Ethernet Backhaul functionnality.

This Dell switch can be in two mode : unmanaged and managed. I configure this switch to run in unmanaged mode. I get the yellow LED in front of this model and I can confirm the managed mode is disabled.

So for now it's not about the dell switch.

Also, I tried with a little Cisco unmanaged switch (x5 1GbE ports) and I get the same behavior...

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

When you switch from WAN to LAN port. I would power down the Orbi router and Satellite first, then make the switch. Then power up the router first and check for internet connection, if good, then power UP the Satellite. 

I didn't know that about your switch. I would test with out any swtiches in the mix as well to help rule out any thing else. Go diretly to the ISP Modem trying both WAN and LAN port connections with the modem and see if the behavior still appears. 

Message 9 of 13
Benjimcb
Aspirant

Ok, I'm trying different mix of switch, WAN/LAN port, etc.

I would like to add that my gateway 192.168.0.1 from the ISP router just get down.

I think it happens when my modem is gonna restart STB cause every X hours, my modem is restarting his STB part.

In orbilogin web UI I get Public IP with a Mac Adress. I think it's a Public IP assign to the decoder part.

So after this, I'm loosing gateway.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try bridging the modem. If it can't be, you can use the modems DMZ for the IP address that the orbi router gets, then you can configure the Orbi router in Router mode.

Might see if you can get a modem that is a modem only for your ISP. 

Message 11 of 13
Benjimcb
Aspirant

My ISP router does Bridge. I will try wirh bridge mode.

Thank you
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know...

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation