Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Weird issue with my Orbi

CynDaVaz
Tutor

Weird issue with my Orbi

Back in the summer, when I first set up my Orbi to work with my Nighthawk AC1900/C7000, I disabled the router function in my Nighthawk and set the Orbi as my router. That original discussion can be found here.

However, just tonight I discovered something odd. The settings have reversed. My Nighthawk is once again set as a router and my Orbi is in AP mode. I do not recall ever making these changes directly at all, but I do know that at least a time or two the Orbi has been unplugged and then replugged back in. Could that have somehow done something to my original settings? And could this have something to do with one of my satellites suddenly not getting good reception any longer after months of being fine?

It's weird how I noticed this issue. I was trying to set up port forwarding through my Orbi and that option was greyed out. I did some investigating and discovered that it was in AP mode. 

Anyway, if I switch everything back, will that throw my network into chaos?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Weird issue with my Orbi

The way that I read your original thread is that you ended up with the Orbi in AP mode, connected to the modem/router which has it's wireless turned off. In other words, what you're seeing now is exactly the way that you ended up setting it up according to the original thread. So don't worry, be happy, just continue to use it as you have it set up now. This is, by the way, the same way that my router and Orbi are set up. The R7800 is in router mode, set up to do the routing functions (routing, NAT, DHCP) with it's wireless radios turned off. And my Orbi is in AP mode, and it all works simply marvelously *smile*.

Everything is as it should be, as you set it up. Enjoy!

Message 2 of 5
CynDaVaz
Tutor

DERP! You're right. That's exactly what I did. Good grief. I should have re-read that original thread in its entirety; I just skimmed over it to refresh my memory and paid more attention to the part about disabling the radio on  my Nighthawk, so I assumed I'd also disabled the router function. 

So it seems the satellite issue is not caused by what I mentioned here. Then I wonder what on earth could be the problem. This is why I wish the Orbi was a true mesh system. I think the satellite that's having issues would work much better. *sigh*

Message 3 of 5
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I was having an intermittent problem with my satellite for a few days. Turned out that moving the satellite about 10 or 15 feet closer to the router stabilized it. The odd thing was that the router and the satellite both indicated that they were well connected to each other in their web admin interfaces when I looked. I'm attributing this to the variability of wireless, that at the points when the wireless backhaul network cycled to it's lowest points, that the satellite lost the solid connection that it needs and went unstable. The wireless never went down completely since the router unit stayed up, but the satellite would cycle from connected (blue) to isolated (magenta). It would fix itself for a while when I power-cycled the satellite, but then some time later the satellite would go crazy again.

At any rate, the satellite has been fine since I moved it closer to the router. And I still have the same great wireless coverage.

Message 4 of 5
CynDaVaz
Tutor

I tried moving it too - about the same amount as you did but that didn't seem to help. When I brought it into the same room as the Orbi router, it seemed to work fine. But it had been working fine for months where I'd put it the first time. And then it decided that it wouldn't work so well anymore there. 😕   I had been using it with a Roku directly plugged in. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7