Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What ‘Administration Password’ Special Characters can I have?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

What ‘Administration Password’ Special Characters can I have?

For security reasons, I like to have a Password’ of over 30 random Characters including Special Characters, numbers & upper & lower case letters.

I try to change my ‘Administration Password’ for my Orbi RBK50, but it rejected the new password & also rejected my old password which I use for a long time. I didn’t have password reset on, so now I can’t get into my orbi without doing a Factory Reset.

Can anyone tell me, the maximin number of Characters I can have & what Special Characters does the Orbi RBK50 accept for the ‘Administration Password’ only?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if this applies to Orbi systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/What-are-the-password-requirements-for-an-ad...

Something to ask NG support about though...

@Dustin_V 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/What-are-the-password-requirements-for-an-ad...

I am definitely certain that this does not apply to Orbi systems.  At the most, it is a recommendation that a "strong password" should be at least 8 characters long and have at least one of Upper, Lower, Numeric, and Special characters.  More than one character from each group is clearly allowed.  The question is which special characters are allowed (or conversely, which are not allowed).

This calls out for an experiment.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I use a simpler PW for my needs thus I haven't tried any special characters. 

Please let us know what you find out Sir. Smiley Wink

@CrimpOn wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I am definitely certain that this does not apply to Orbi systems.  At the most, it is a recommendation that a "strong password" should be at least 8 characters long and have at least one of Upper, Lower, Numeric, and Special characters.  More than one character from each group is clearly allowed.  The question is which special characters are allowed (or conversely, which are not allowed).

This calls out for an experiment.

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you for those people who reply to my question. I will just have to experiment to see what’s acceptable. I did experiment a long time ago, but I forgot what I did.

I hope the people who do the Orbi updates, put a clear message on the ‘Administration Password’ page.

Before we put anything in the password field stating the minimum & maximin number of Characters?

Also, the Characters which is acceptable & those that are not acceptable? Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I can report on a simple experiment testing which "special characters" may be used in Orbi web interface administrative password.  "All of them on the keyboard."

I created a base bassword "T3sting" (which will keep Orbi from complaining about it not being "secure enough") and added a special character to the end.  Each change required me to authenticate again, which was accepted.  I then used that "old" password and entered the next on the list as "new", and repeated the process. Apply, authenticate, enter old, new...

Here is the list I used, starting with period and ending with question mark.  I marked each password that was accepted "OK".

T3sting. OK
T3sting, OK
T3sting/ OK
T3sting! OK
T3sting@ OK
T3sting# OK
T3sting$ OK
T3sting% OK
T3sting^ OK
T3sting& OK
T3sting* OK
T3sting( OK
T3sting) OK
T3sting_ OK
T3sting+ OK
T3sting~ OK
T3sting` OK
T3sting{ OK
T3sting} OK
T3sting| OK
T3sting[ OK
T3sting] OK
T3sting\ OK
T3sting: OK
T3sting" OK
T3sting; OK
T3sting' OK
T3sting< OK
T3sting> OK
T3sting? OK

I did not use Escape, backspace, tab, enter or any of the "really special" characters created by using a combination of ""Alt"+number.

So, I am unable to reproduce the problem.  Maybe some combination of two consequitive special characters "does something"?  Since this is a Linux system, somehow entering a "null" character would terminate the string.

This leaves me mystified.  Sorry.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the Info.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for testing this. Hope this helps users out 

@CrimpOn wrote:

I can report on a simple experiment testing which "special characters" may be used in Orbi web interface administrative password.  "All of them on the keyboard."

I created a base bassword "T3sting" (which will keep Orbi from complaining about it not being "secure enough") and added a special character to the end.  Each change required me to authenticate again, which was accepted.  I then used that "old" password and entered the next on the list as "new", and repeated the process. Apply, authenticate, enter old, new...

Here is the list I used, starting with period and ending with question mark.  I marked each password that was accepted "OK".

T3sting. OK
T3sting, OK
T3sting/ OK
T3sting! OK
T3sting@ OK
T3sting# OK
T3sting$ OK
T3sting% OK
T3sting^ OK
T3sting& OK
T3sting* OK
T3sting( OK
T3sting) OK
T3sting_ OK
T3sting+ OK
T3sting~ OK
T3sting` OK
T3sting{ OK
T3sting} OK
T3sting| OK
T3sting[ OK
T3sting] OK
T3sting\ OK
T3sting: OK
T3sting" OK
T3sting; OK
T3sting' OK
T3sting< OK
T3sting> OK
T3sting? OK

I did not use Escape, backspace, tab, enter or any of the "really special" characters created by using a combination of ""Alt"+number.

So, I am unable to reproduce the problem.  Maybe some combination of two consequitive special characters "does something"?  Since this is a Linux system, somehow entering a "null" character would terminate the string.

This leaves me mystified.  Sorry.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7