Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What am I doing wrong? Had my Orbi 3mths and its always working perfectly. Great product.

Gcw1
Tutor

What am I doing wrong? Had my Orbi 3mths and its always working perfectly. Great product.

I have 20+ devices spread over 5ghz, 2.4ghz & ethernet, but my Orbi 30 works great. It gives me full cover (70Mb+ internet) over my large 4 bedroom (solid) house. Unlike my old Asus ac68u, which couldn't reach the whole house at any sort of speed and as soon as any device moved too far from the 5ghz, it went onto 2.4ghz and stayed there, so all wireless devices ended up on a single 2.4ghz band, nothing on the 5ghz.

Orbi, spreads all my devices across the the 4 bands (5 & 2.4ghz on each device). So all devices have plenty of bandwidth.

Connected I have; sony 4k tv, roku 4k stick, canon printer, WD media server, Samsung android phones, Samsung android tablets, apple phones, Samsung tizen smartwatch, nest thermostat, amazon kindle, WD network drive, Google home mini, amazon echo, Sony surround sound  & Sony wireless speaker

I HAVE NO ISSUES! but then I do live in the UK  

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
thombe
Apprentice

Re: What am I doing wrong? Had my Orbi 3mths and its always working perfectly. Great product.

so the big question is.. which firmware are you using ?

Message 2 of 13
Gcw1
Tutor

Intial updated to version 2 and kept updating until current 2.1.2.18/6

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 13
nicholb
Luminary

You are probably in the sielent majority. Mine has worked much better than my old Asus RT87. That thing was never stable and required a daily reboot just to keep it from locking up. 

Hopefully Netgear figures out how to fix the issues that plauge a lot of the posters here. 

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You probably have a correct configured set up and well working configuration and environment. My system as been stable since day one since I got it from NG. Been working solid and with out issue.

If it's working well for you Don't do any FW updates. Keep it as is and check back later on if and when NG posts new FW.

@Gcw1wrote:

I have 20+ devices spread over 5ghz, 2.4ghz & ethernet, but my Orbi 30 works great. It gives me full cover (70Mb+ internet) over my large 4 bedroom (solid) house. Unlike my old Asus ac68u, which couldn't reach the whole house at any sort of speed and as soon as any device moved too far from the 5ghz, it went onto 2.4ghz and stayed there, so all wireless devices ended up on a single 2.4ghz band, nothing on the 5ghz.

Orbi, spreads all my devices across the the 4 bands (5 & 2.4ghz on each device). So all devices have plenty of bandwidth.

Connected I have; sony 4k tv, roku 4k stick, canon printer, WD media server, Samsung android phones, Samsung android tablets, apple phones, Samsung tizen smartwatch, nest thermostat, amazon kindle, WD network drive, Google home mini, amazon echo, Sony surround sound  & Sony wireless speaker

I HAVE NO ISSUES! but then I do live in the UK  

Message 5 of 13
wildhorse
Star

Same here. I wonder if people who are having problems are from all over the world or in a few countries.

Message 6 of 13
nicholb
Luminary

Most likely it is some combination of particular devices and/or network configuration that is triggering a bug in the Orbi. Those of us that don't have that unknonwn factor don't see the issues. 

Message 7 of 13
rphsia
Star

Maybe you should be asking what you are doing right lol!  Particularly since moving to the UK is not an option for many of us Smiley Happy

Anyway, just for clarity, it sounds like you are using only a single satellite?  For others' benefit, could you please describe how/where you have the router and satellite located relative to the rooms with the most usage?

Your list of devices sounds very similar to mine, except I have in addition a couple of security cameras as well as 2 desktop PCs and multiple laptops.  My system (originally single satellite) also worked great for the first 6 months or so, but unfortunately I have no idea what the tipping point was that seemingly "broke" it.   Due to location, both the PCs had to connect to the satellite, and from what I remember, most the problems seemed to be with connection to that unit.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

My system is using just one Satellite. MIMO and Daisy Chain disabled.

A few wired PCs, 1 wireless PC, 2 laptops, 3 iphones, 1 Android, 1 iPad, 2 NEST contollers, 2 XB1s, 3 printers, DISH Hopper and 3 Joeys, one connected to a NG wireless bridge connected to the remote Satellite. 3 wireless cameras.

Message 9 of 13
Gcw1
Tutor

Yes I have the 1 satellite, in the upper corner of the house with the router in the opposite corner on the ground floor. I don't use ethernet haul back (rbk30), the system automatically moves the wireless devices between the bands & router/satellite.

If all the phones/tablets are being used on one transmitter it will move static devices to the 2.4ghz while the mobile devices fill up the 5ghz band & back again when they leave.

Hope this helps

@rphsiawrote:

Maybe you should be asking what you are doing right lol!  Particularly since moving to the UK is not an option for many of us Smiley Happy

Anyway, just for clarity, it sounds like you are using only a single satellite?  For others' benefit, could you please describe how/where you have the router and satellite located relative to the rooms with the most usage?

Your list of devices sounds very similar to mine, except I have in addition a couple of security cameras as well as 2 desktop PCs and multiple laptops.  My system (originally single satellite) also worked great for the first 6 months or so, but unfortunately I have no idea what the tipping point was that seemingly "broke" it.   Due to location, both the PCs had to connect to the satellite, and from what I remember, most the problems seemed to be with connection to that unit.

@rphsiawrote:

Message 10 of 13
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

@Gcw1

It's certainly not a bad thing the Orbi's are performing adequeately for you. However, there's a gap between "mine works perfectly" and "I haven't noticed any problems".

The upset people on the forums making noise are here because they're impacted by the problems and there is no fix. It's not that you did everything right and all the frustated people on here somehow did something wrong, it's just the state of the product. Over 20% of the Amazon reviews (1 in 5) of the product are people who hate it due to the difficult-to-track-down problems. However, the problems aren't immediately apparent - so many people review it after using just a day or two.

If you're interested in seeing the issue that most people are up in arms about, here's how to test it out yourself. You'll notice it's not a 2 second test case to run, but that's just the nature of the issues.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 11 of 13
Roamabout
Luminary

@t_kwrote:

@Gcw1

It's certainly not a bad thing the Orbi's are performing adequeately for you. However, there's a gap between "mine works perfectly" and "I haven't noticed any problems".

The upset people on the forums making noise are here because they're impacted by the problems and there is no fix. It's not that you did everything right and all the frustated people on here somehow did something wrong, it's just the state of the product. Over 20% of the Amazon reviews (1 in 5) of the product are people who hate it due to the difficult-to-track-down problems. However, the problems aren't immediately apparent - so many people review it after using just a day or two.

If you're interested in seeing the issue that most people are up in arms about, here's how to test it out yourself. You'll notice it's not a 2 second test case to run, but that's just the nature of the issues.

I used Amazon as my main research before buying the Orbi. This was my informal survey of the mesh products based on Amazon reviews.

Netgear Orbi: 86% 4&5 star, 12% 1&2 star, top complaints: disconnects, drops, slow, crap support

Linksys Velop: 91% 4&5 star, 6% 1&2 star, top complaints:wifi connections drop, ISP connection drops, crap firmware updates.

Eero: 92% 4&5 star, 6% 1&2 star, top complaints: poor wifi range, slow

Google wifi: 84% 4&5 star, 12% 1&2 star. top complaints: poor wifi range, slow, Cant use mesh in AP mode ?

Ubiquiti Amplifi HD: 84% 4&5 star, 11% 1&2 star. Top complaints: slow, unreliable, dropped connections, needs regular reboot.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You forgot D-Links MESH system Sir. Smiley Very Happy

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0711TPWZY/ref=acr_search_see_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

@Roamaboutwrote: 

I used Amazon as my main research before buying the Orbi. This was my informal survey of the mesh products based on Amazon reviews.

Netgear Orbi: 86% 4&5 star, 12% 1&2 star, top complaints: disconnects, drops, slow, crap support

Linksys Velop: 91% 4&5 star, 6% 1&2 star, top complaints:wifi connections drop, ISP connection drops, crap firmware updates.

Eero: 92% 4&5 star, 6% 1&2 star, top complaints: poor wifi range, slow

Google wifi: 84% 4&5 star, 12% 1&2 star. top complaints: poor wifi range, slow, Cant use mesh in AP mode ?

Ubiquiti Amplifi HD: 84% 4&5 star, 11% 1&2 star. Top complaints: slow, unreliable, dropped connections, needs regular reboot.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7