Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What does blocking access control do?

What does blocking access control do?

I've gone into the Orbi admin and set my Smart TV to BLOCKED under Access Control.

But I want to be sure that this setting is accomplishing what I specifically want it to do, which is to block my smart TV's access to the internet at large while still being able to connect to it within my network (to power it on and off, switch inputs etc., usually via the manufacturer's iOS app). 

It seems to work but I can't find anything detailing the specific behavior of the Access Control. Can anyone confirm that it's doing what I'm hoping it will? Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Page 48 of the Orbi user manual describes Access Control as preventing a device from ujoining the network.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

If the Access Control web page shows the tv as "Blocked" then it should not be able to communicate with anything on the local network (or on the internet).  Sounds like Access Control may not be working correctly.

To prevent a device from accessing the Internet, a rule should be created in the Security menu called Block Services for that specific IP address with the rule active "Always."

You have a Smart TV and want to make it a Dumb TV?

Message 2 of 5

Thanks. What service should I choose to block for this smart TV in order to prevent it from accessing the wider internet while allowing me to still access it from within the network?

And yes I'm turning my smart TV into a dumb one because I want to prevent it from automatic content recognition and other ad-tracking traffic back to the manufacturer.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@mrsubtraction wrote:

Thanks. What service should I choose to block for this smart TV in order to prevent it from accessing the wider internet while allowing me to still access it from within the network?

Edit the default that is already showing, "Any", ports 1-65xxx, and put in the IP address of the tv.

Message 4 of 5

That seems to work, thank you so much!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7