Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What happened to additional RBS50 - New buyer - Frustrated

Ashley71
Aspirant

What happened to additional RBS50 - New buyer - Frustrated

Hi

I bought a 2 pack RBK50 (AC3000) with the router and one RBS50 satelite included.  I also bought an extra outdoor satelite RBS50Y

I still have black spots, which is annoying given the ~$1,000 i've dropped on this.

I now wish to buy another RBS50 and can't seem to find them for sale other than as the outdoor model or in this pack with another router.  Seems crazy?

Surely I shouldn't mix and match with the lower speed models as satelites?  How do i buy more RBS50s?  they must still be being made...'cause they come in a pack with the router.  I don't need another outdoor one and they cost quite a bit more.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

@Ashley71 wrote:

I now wish to buy another RBS50 and can't seem to find them for sale other than as the outdoor model or in this pack with another router. 

Where are you?

They exist in some places:

NETGEAR Orbi Ultra-Performance Whole Home Mesh Wifi Satellite Extender - Works with your Orbi Router...

If you can't find a local supplier, you are not tied to the RBS50 for your choice of satellites.

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward was right in his link (for the uk). just search your area's amazon for rbs50.  You might even look at the other satellites as well like the rbs40 and rbw30 if you're not needing the extra backhaul bandwidth or ethernet ports. 

Message 3 of 8
Ashley71
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies and assistance!

ok, i can find them at Amazon Australia (where I am).

next majorly disappointing thing then is that to buy just a satalite is $493 ( I was expecting $250 odd) and to buy another bundle (router and satelite) costs $469.  Madness.  Outdoor ruggedised satelites are on sale for $399 - which would be my best overall bet.  I'd buy two satelites bundled for $469,  but that doesn't seemt o be an option.  Netgear's product / marketing team aren't making this easy (for me at least)

I'll guess i just buy another outdoor one.  More than what I wanted to spend, but i'm 2/3 pregnant now.  I hope I don't need a 4th satelite 😞

Message 4 of 8

@Ashley71 wrote:

next majorly disappointing thing then is that to buy just a satalite is $493 ( I was expecting $250 odd) and to buy another bundle (router and satelite) costs $469.  Madness. 

Netgear's pricing has always been a puzzle. The RBS50 costs £169.99 here. And the pound is on the floor.

Don't forget the suggestion that you can use other Orbi satellites with your system. Something cheaper might work.

Then again, I'd consider this bit:

@Ashley71 wrote:

I hope I don't need a 4th satelite 😞

Careful positioning of your existing stuff might eliminate the need for another satellite.

Message 5 of 8
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Ashley71 wrote:

Thanks for the replies and assistance!

next majorly disappointing thing then is that to buy just a satalite is $493 ( I was expecting $250 odd) and to buy another bundle (router and satelite) costs $469.  Madness.  Outdoor ruggedised satelites are on sale for $399 - which would be my best overall bet.  I'd buy two satelites bundled for $469,  but that doesn't seemt o be an option.  Netgear's product / marketing team aren't making this easy (for me at least)

I'll guess i just buy another outdoor one.  More than what I wanted to spend, but i'm 2/3 pregnant now.  I hope I don't need a 4th satelite 😞

Yeah, this is very frustrating.

I bought an additional RBS40 early on to add to my RBK50, when they were available here in oz but I really wanted an RBS50.

When they eventually became available they were a bit too expensive so I waited and now you can't get them any more.

Grudgingly I got an RBS50Y but of course it doesn't have any ethernet ports so I still need to use the RBS40, annoying as devices will migrate to it when I wanted them to use the RBS50Y.

I have to say Netgear device availability is very, very annoying, regardless of what I can do what I want to do I should be able to do by buying the appropriate device and not be forced into buying something that doesn't quite fit.

Becuase of this I have to say I've been looking at other vendors device availability with a view to switch over when I update to wireless AX mesh.

Message 6 of 8
Ashley71
Aspirant

Thanks Raven_au

I am really disappointed.  I am  tempted to try to return it since It isn't really doing what I want / what I bought it to do.

So simple to fix too!

Cheers and good luck with your setup

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

I guess that the non-availability of the RBS50, RBR50 and RBK50 is related to the preparation for the release of the new RBK850 which is coming soon.
It’s very common that -once an updated product is announced- big stores will start to avoid stocking the “old” version of the product.
RBK850 is a straight replacement for the RBK50.
I expect that we will be able to add RBS850 Satellites to an existing RBR50 and the other way around.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7