Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What hole size do I need to drill on the wall to mount the Orbi RBKWM wall mount?

ipanag
Aspirant

What hole size do I need to drill on the wall to mount the Orbi RBKWM wall mount?

There is nothing mentioned in the instructions manual!!!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: What hole size do I need to drill on the wall to mount the Orbi RBKWM wall mount?

@ipanag wrote:

Thanks for the responses!

I'm in Europe and walls are of a type of concrete. I'm confused because the anchor has a rectangular shape (not the round that I'm used to), so I don't know which dimension to measure to pick the right drill bit.

The picture is not very clear, but my impression is that these mounts are designed specifically for hollow walls (daywall, gypsum board, lath * plaster, etc.)  NOT for a solid wall (concrete, stone, brick).  The device is pressed through a hole into the wall, then the back piece rotates so that it will press against the wall when screwed tight.

Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/TOGGLER-SNAPTOGGLE-Drywall-Included-Fastener/dp/B07FMCHQ8W/ref=sr_1_14?dchild... 

or this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hilti-HTB-1-4-in-Drywall-Anchor-with-Phillips-Head-Screw-8-Pack-3588748/... 

This is probably the time to visit your local hardware store (Home Center?) and get two wall anchors designed for concrete.  Since the Orbi is light weight, I believe the type with plastic inserts will be fine.  For heavy objects, I always use the type with lead inserts that are hammered into the hole.  The package will recommend the correct drill size.

Or... my old eyes are confused by the picture.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: What hole size do I need to drill on the wall to mount the Orbi RBKWM wall mount?

It should have a screw kit that comes with it. 

Are you mounting it to a stud? 

Into sheetrock? 

into wood? 

It all depends on what you're doing exactly for how big to drill the holes. 

If its into sheetrock, I tend to go a little smaller than the screw expander and gently pound it in so its a tight fit. 

If its into cement, you need to go a little larger. 

If its directly to a stud, you don't need the expander and can just screw into the stud. 

Message 2 of 5
ipanag
Aspirant

I'm in Europe and walls are of a type of concrete. I'm confused because the anchor has a rectangular shape (not the round that I'm used to), so I don't know which dimension to measure to pick the right drill bit.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@ipanag wrote:

The picture is not very clear, but my impression is that these mounts are designed specifically for hollow walls (daywall, gypsum board, lath * plaster, etc.)  NOT for a solid wall (concrete, stone, brick).  The device is pressed through a hole into the wall, then the back piece rotates so that it will press against the wall when screwed tight.

Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/TOGGLER-SNAPTOGGLE-Drywall-Included-Fastener/dp/B07FMCHQ8W/ref=sr_1_14?dchild... 

or this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hilti-HTB-1-4-in-Drywall-Anchor-with-Phillips-Head-Screw-8-Pack-3588748/... 

This is probably the time to visit your local hardware store (Home Center?) and get two wall anchors designed for concrete.  Since the Orbi is light weight, I believe the type with plastic inserts will be fine.  For heavy objects, I always use the type with lead inserts that are hammered into the hole.  The package will recommend the correct drill size.

Or... my old eyes are confused by the picture.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

LIke @CrimpOn says, you can get your own screws. You don't have to use the provided one. 

If you have a type that you're comfortable using, you can use them. (provided they're not to large/small for the mount)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7