Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What if a mesh wifi access point reaches maximum connections?

wilber87
Aspirant

What if a mesh wifi access point reaches maximum connections?

What if a mesh wifi access point reaches maximum connections and a new device wants to join the network at the location of that access point? Will the device be switched to the other access point automatically?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
splogue
Tutor

I have three satellites and over a hundred devices, so I've been watching closely to see if there is load balancing. There doesn't seem to be. One of my nodes gets over forty connections, while fairly nearby nodes get far less. I believe it is going just on signal strength to determine whether to hand off clients to other nodes, not capacity.

Sean

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

How many devices do you have connected total?

@Christian_R

@wilber87 wrote:

What if a mesh wifi access point reaches maximum connections and a new device wants to join the network at the location of that access point? Will the device be switched to the other access point automatically?

Message 3 of 6
wilber87
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  I want to have about 50 devices connected to 1 access point. If there's a 51st device wanting to join the network, I will want it to be connected to the other access point in the same mesh network. Is that possible?

Message 4 of 6
rhester72
Virtuoso

@wilber87 wrote:

@FURRYe38  I want to have about 50 devices connected to 1 access point. If there's a 51st device wanting to join the network, I will want it to be connected to the other access point in the same mesh network. Is that possible?

Very short answer - no.  Slightly longer answer - you wouldn't want it to be anyway, because the signal strength (in a proper install) will be much poorer on the other AP.

The number of connected devices is entirely irrelevant (you can literally have thousands of STAs), it's merely a question of *simultaneous and unidirectional* bandwidth utilization.

Odds are, if it _is_ a saturation problem, the backbone is already saturated anyway and it really won't make a whit of difference which AP you connect to, as they will all be equally bad.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

50 is alot to have connected to 1 AP. It's recommended to have more than 1 AP source and spread the device connections across each AP for best operation and performances.

@wilber87 wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7