Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is the Proper way to set up RBR50 +2 Satelites, Switch and DVR camera system?

Rocshaman
Aspirant

What is the Proper way to set up RBR50 +2 Satelites, Switch and DVR camera system?

All,

I want to make sure i set this up correctly so as all devices are on one network and I can portforward to allow asscess to my LTS Security cameras when away form home.

2 Methods are they correct order? pros or cons ?

Method 1 (xFi in Bridge Mode, Orbi is Router)

xFi Modem Router in Bridge mode, RBR50 in Router mode plugged in with ethernet cable to 1 of the 2 ports on the xFi.  Then plug switch into RBR50 and either dvr into RBR50 via ethernet or into switch...  then port forward on Orbi.

-  Is this a correct method?  Pros or cons?

Method 2 xFi is Router, Orbi is AP Mode)

xFi is not in Bridge mode but is router ... and Orbi is in AP Mode.   what do i plug where?   Is it switch and Orbi plugged into both ports on the xFi and Camera DVR into switch?  If so will xFi see the Camera DVR to allow Port Forwarding?   or is it Orbi plugged into Xfi and switch into Orbi and Camera DVR into switch, or what order?

Remember i want all 70 or so devices I have to be on same network..   

thanks for your help in Advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: What is the Proper way to set up RBR50 +2 Satelites, Switch and DVR camera system?

Either method works. The key is only one router.  Port forwarding will get through one router, and be stopped cold at a second router.  The choice usually depends on:

• Which router has the features you want, (xFi or Orbi)
    i.e. do you care about Disney Circle and/or Bitdefencer Armor (I do not, but some people do)
    Do you need/want Remote Access or inward VPN?
  • Which router is easiest to configure in terms of DHCP pools, "assigned" IP addresses, access control and port forwarding.

If xFi is the router and Orbi is in AP mode, anything can be connect anywhere and it will all be in one big network administered by xFi.

If xFi is in bridge mode connected to the Orbi, then everything goes "behind" the Orbi (nothing besides Orbi connected to the xFi), and everything is in one big network.

Message 2 of 3
Rocshaman
Aspirant

Re: What is the Proper way to set up RBR50 +2 Satelites, Switch and DVR camera system?

Thank you very much!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7