Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What is the best Orbi Firmware if you are using AP mode?

Ragar99
Luminary

What is the best Orbi Firmware if you are using AP mode?

Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44 is another NG train wreck.  How they keep screwing up is beyond me.

Regardless I saw an early poster in the 2.3.1.44 thread say they had gone back to the initial release 1.1.0.16 and it is consistently fast and responsive.

My initial reaction was that is a little over the top, but the more I thought about it, I came down on who cares if you are using the Orbi in AP mode.  In AP mode all I care about is wifi speed and device support.  My Edgerouter handles security, FW, and routing.

So my question is given that criteria what is the best firmware release?  1.1.0.16?  2.2.1.210?  Something else?

I want to install the best firmware and then block the auto update so I can get on with my life.

Message 1 of 7
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

It really depends on what problem you have with v44 or any prior firmware version in your setup.  I found that v210 was rock solid and I would have stuck with v210 if my Orbit were in AP mode.  I finally threw in the towel, fighting a losing battle with auto-update, and the benefit of future bugs and security fixes, which don't apply to AP setup.

Message 2 of 7
Ragar99
Luminary

"all I care about is wifi speed and device support. "

Message 3 of 7
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

The biggest issue folks have with v44 is connectivity, not download speed.  Unless you have a specific problem with v44 in your setup, max download speed shouldn't be an issue since it's relatively close to previous release such as v210.  You won't likely notice any difference in normal daily usage.

Give v44 a shot and draw your own conclusion.  If v44 doesn't work for you, then stick with your current version until the next one comes out.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Zero problems on v44...

4+ days of uptime on a RBK50 system:

System Uptime 04:18:02:32
Message 5 of 7
Ragar99
Luminary

v44 was what started this thread, speeds/range dropped, which is why for me it is a train wreck.  Went back to v210 and blocked updates.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

One thing I am noticing is that one of my wirelss bridges keeps stoping when connected to the RBS in the next room. 

@Ragar99 wrote:

v44 was what started this thread, speeds/range dropped, which is why for me it is a train wreck.  Went back to v210 and blocked updates.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7