Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What is the dBm output on Orbi?

What is the dBm output on Orbi?

Hello, I am just trying to figure if the new Orbi Wifi 6 system will cover a wider range than my current R7000 which seems to have a dBm or 29-30. Any one know whats the dBm on the Wifi6 Orbi Mesh system?

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: What is the dBm output on Orbi?

IF a particular WiFi system has a greater coverage area, it will not be the result of greater power.  Every country sets a maximum power level for WiFi based on type of use and specific frequency range.  There are numerous explanations on the web.  Here is one link to United States FCC restrictions: https://www.air802.com/fcc-rules-and-regulations.html   For point to multipoint access points, the limit is 36dB for the 2.4GHz band and 30dB for the 5G band.  There are some pretty passionate arguments for reducing transmit power when the clients devices are battery powered.

WiFi 6 offers distinct advantages over WiFi 5 for devices which are WiFi 6 capable. I have seen no arguments that WiFi 6 will improve the performance of devices that are not WiFi 6 capable.

One reason I follow this forum is the new and fascinating things I learn about networking from these discussions.  If someone has links to more specifics about WiFi 6, I'd love to see them.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7