Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What is the highest speed that the Orbi's can handle?

sh2sg
Apprentice

MacBookPro (late 2013), speedtest history when connected on Satellite RBS 50, wireless backhaul betwen RBS 50 and RBR 50, RBR 50 acts as AP mode to the main Router given by ISP, I am with 1Gbps Fibre plan.

Xnip2018-06-24_14-50-16.jpg

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 26 of 34
st_shaw
Master

@sh2sg Is that with the Macbook wired to the satellite?

Message 27 of 34
sh2sg
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

@sh2sg Is that with the Macbook wired to the satellite?

No, it is always wireless to satellite.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 28 of 34
st_shaw
Master

OK. Very impressive results.

Message 29 of 34
danbrew
Aspirant

I thought long and hard about whether I wanted the RBK40 or the 3.0 Gig AC3000, but I settled for the AC2200 because Best Buy had a 3 satellite package in stock when I was in the store today.  Yeah, I could have just ordered the AC3000 off of Amazon (and may yet...), but I am replacing a Linksys Velops that was literally getting 10 megs and below in two of the APs.  And my service is a gig.  So, yeah, I was pissed.  In any event, I set up the AC2200 this afternoon and am consistently getting @500 megs across two of the three AP.  The third, I eventually put in my attic and it serves the bedroom over the garage (about a 3500 sq ft house, so not huge).  That third access point gets about 125 megs.  It works, but I'd be pissed if that's the wifi bandwidth I was getting.  I know, I know, a lot better than those 14.4k modems we used to use.  In any event, in most places in the house (and all of the places I'd want connectivity), I'm getting about 500 megs.  The main bedrooms, the family room, the pool area, all @500.  The Orbi is about 10,000x better than the Velops.  Which is strange, as the reviews are basically on-par between the two of 'em.  I've literally spent 6-8 hours on the phone with Linksys technical support over the last month.

In any event, this is what I'm getting: 

SpeedTest.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.25.15 PM.png 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 30 of 34
bbrener
Aspirant

The prices you pay are insane! Don't complain. In AZ we pay $70pm for 150mbps down/10up from COX!  $59.95 for 1GB FIOS is a steal and $29.95 for 100/10 is unreal.

Message 31 of 34
Lesnla
Aspirant

Omg. Someone clearly didn’t know how to use their MacBook! 😄😄😄

Message 32 of 34
HomeBrewJoe
Aspirant

ooohhh boy that was a read!

I understand your frustration about the 1 Gbps plan not actually giving you 1 Gbps performance.  Ive been there until I realized that the hardware in the devices was the limiting factor, doh!!

You'll never see 1 Gbps on you cell and laptops for wireless performance unless you had a way to directly wire the device such as an ethernet cable.  The most ive ever seen is 250ish Gbps which is still amazingly fast and above the next tier down offered by FioS.  My PC sees 1 Gbps performance with a direct connection and so does the Xbox one X to a degree....  (I have a network MoCA extender by the TV and Xbox to get an ethernet connection but Xbox Live service limits data transfer rates severely...  I see like 350 Mbps max).

The real benefit to Gigabit internet is to be able to saturate your network with wireless devices (laptops, cell phones, tablets, Amazon Echos, security camera systems, all other wireless devices) without seeing a dip in performance on any device.  I think the 100 or 150 Mbps plan would still work for me but while I have a discount, I will keep trying out the gigabit.

One thing I noticed is alot of early "smart TVs" came with crappy antennaes.  They could only see 2.4 Ghz and would read no more than 5-10 Mbps for streaming purposes where as my phone in the same room would see 100 Mbps.  wild.  How you going to get away with streaming 1080p on 5 Mbps..  that will cause quite a few lags in the video playback.

Message 33 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi theoretically should be able to handle 1000Mb on the WAN to LAN since all RJ45 ports are 1000Mb supporting. The wireless speeds will never see much over 400-500Mbps depending upon wireless client HW and Mfr design. 

Testing of a 50 series RBR has not seen anything near 900Mbps on the WAN to LAN side tests with a wired PC. 

This issue has already been reported to NG for review:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7