Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is the latest firmware I should be running on my RBR50?

ryanpc
Guide

What is the latest firmware I should be running on my RBR50?

Current firmware 2.2.1.210 (says there are no updates)

From netgears page however it appears there is version 2.2.1.212 and 2.3.0.32 available

Any help is appreciated

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: What is the latest firmware I should be running on my RBR50?

.32 is current version, but you must first load the intermediate firmware that you identified.

The update service inside of Orbi is not reflecting these newer versions yet as they are manual updates only.

Do your satellites first, then your router.

Message 2 of 10
ryanpc
Guide

Should I just wait for the auto update in your opinion? I don’t really care much for new features but obviously want to have the latest security patches 

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@ryanpc wrote:

Should I just wait for the auto update in your opinion? I don’t really care much for new features but obviously want to have the latest security patches 

If you are not seeking a solution for specific problems with Orbi, there is no need to perform a manual update.  Netgear receives reports of "issues" with products and their engineers work on changes to the firmware to address those concerns.  At some point, they decide their efforts need to be exposed to a test audience, so they release a "Beta" version to a select group of adventurous users.  If that test seems to go well, they publish the firmware so others can perform a manual update.  A number of people on this community forum have concluded that the "32" firmware solves their problems.  As one might expect, a number of people have concluded exactly the opposite: i.e. the "32" firmware is worse than the "210" and they have gone back.  At some point, one of two things will happen:  Netgear will decide to push an automatic update to all Orbi devices OR they will decide that "32" is not good enough and they will come up with more code changes and go through the process again.

I am happy with "32", although I didn't have any serious issues with "210", either.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

We also seen various issues appear when systems are autoupdated. Usually a factory reset and setup from scratch resolves these oddities. I prefer to manually download files and install them my self. Remmber, RBS needs to be updated first then the RBR lastly. RBS can go directly from v210 to v32. The v212 has to be applied first before v32 can be applied on the RBR. 

@ryanpc wrote:

Message 5 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

Since my previous comment above there has been yet another firmware release that updates the .32 version to 2.3.1.44.

The list of things it claims to resolve are pretty significant, so although you may THINK you are not having issues, your performance and reliability would increase by going to the newest.

You still have to manually get to  .32 as is previously described and then have it update to .44

Some may say if it aint broke, dont fix it, but in this case I think it is very much worth the effort.

Message 6 of 10
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@Chuck_M wrote:

Since my previous comment above there has been yet another firmware release that updates the .32 version to 2.3.1.44.

The list of things it claims to resolve are pretty significant, so although you may THINK you are not having issues, your performance and reliability would increase by going to the newest.

You still have to manually get to  .32 as is previously described and then have it update to .44

Some may say if it aint broke, dont fix it, but in this case I think it is very much worth the effort.

where are you seeing the .44 release, in the GUI or online? also, any chance you can list the changes vs .32? I do not see the .44 on the netgear firware update website for the RBK53.  thanks

Message 7 of 10
tequilatram
Tutor

Mine just updated to .44 last night as well.  Here are the release notes from a different forum post:

Changelog:

• [Bug Fix] Fix issues with the Apple HomeKit connectivity
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the wireless crash and reboot issue when the router is under stress
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the WiFi disconnection and IOT issue
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic breween the main host and guest
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the Ethernet backhaul boot-sequence issue
  • [Bug Fix] Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the JP/AU/CA region can't firmware update issue
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes Armor activation failed due to device offline issue

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

v44 is thru the autoupdate feature on your routers web page. v32 files are online for download. 

@SeaMonkey80 wrote:

where are you seeing the .44 release, in the GUI or online? also, any chance you can list the changes vs .32? I do not see the .44 on the netgear firware update website for the RBK53.  thanks

Message 9 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

Thanks for posting the change logs.

The .44 version does not have manual update files (so far).  It showed up in my Orbi Web Gui under advanced admin firmware.

Remember, you still have to update to the intermediate and .32 before getting this....  I know it is a pain, but you didnt have anything to do on a friday night did you!?  LOL

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7