Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What is the maximum number of Netgear Orbi Satellites that can be supported by Netgear Orbi R...

ERNYE1
Initiate

What is the maximum number of Netgear Orbi Satellites that can be supported by Netgear Orbi Router?

Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: What is the maximum number of Netgear Orbi Satellites that can be supported by Netgear Orbi R...

Hello Ernye1

It can support up to 3 satellites and 1 main router.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 30

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ernye1

It can support up to 3 satellites and 1 main router.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 30
ERNYE1
Initiate

Re: What is the maximum number of Netgear Orbi Satellites that can be supported by Netgear Orbi Rout

What will happen if I add a fourth SATELLITE?
Message 3 of 30
mikegyver
Tutor

HI,

I see that it was stated that max of 3 satellites, but I am having a real hard time getting the 3rd satellite connected.

Is it me or there's wrong info out there?

Message 4 of 30
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello mikegyver

What issues are you running into when setting up the third?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 30
mikegyver
Tutor

Darren,

I got it going....  brought all the satellites into the same room and disconnected the 2nd one that did work, then sync up the third, then brought the 2nd one back online.

thanks

Message 6 of 30
Mikey94025
Hero

Just another data point -- I have 3 satellites and had no extra problems installing the 3rd.  (Why do I have so many?  To improve connectivity with a couple outdoor wireless cameras where outside connectivity is much worse, presumably due to house construction interference)

Message 7 of 30
Elvisj
Star

So if i cannot add a 4th satellite, can I add a Netgear wi-fi extenders to the network to get more range? I have a workshop away from the house with music and TV while I work there. It has an Ethernet wire, so can I add another 16 port switch from one satellite?

Message 8 of 30
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello elvisj

Yes you can use a extender for the workshop but it will not auto switch to that network when you move out there it will need another SSID and you will manually connect your device to it. Yes you could also use a switch if you have Ethernet running out to that area.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 30

Good to know I was about to get a fourth one...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 10 of 30
Elvisj
Star

I now have 5 satellites. They all seem to be working. Each satellite has a 24 port switch connected to it.

Message 11 of 30

Wow! ok... I was wondering why would there be a cap on how many satellites i can add to the router. Thanks...

Message 12 of 30
JoshG
Guide

Wow - 5 satellites?  It says 3 is a hard limit in multiple places in the software, support areas.  Do you know if that limit was raised beyond 3 Satellites in the latest software rev?  Your iphone/android screen shows a big "5" on the main screen?  That's definitely big news.  Anyone else pushed it beyond 3 RBS50's?

Message 13 of 30
JoshG
Guide

Re: What is the maximum number of Netgear Orbi Satellites that can be supported by Netgear Orbi Rout

So is Elvisj still the only person who has gotten >3 satellites to function?  Would like to hear that others have also been able to do this before i plunk down the money for my 4th satellite.  Could someone share the router setup screen (web or iOS) that shows >3 satellites connected?  Netgear still says there's a fixed limit of 3 satellites per main unit.

Thanks,

-josh

Message 14 of 30

I myself have 3 satellites working, and also think you can add a fourth but haven't tried it yet. Waiting for confirmation to shell out another $200.
Message 15 of 30
cue003
Apprentice

How is it that Darren says 3 satellites but there is a user claiming 5 satellites working correctly?

Can we get official 100% confirmation please?

Maybe 5 works but support is only wanting to deal with 3 or less satellites.
Message 16 of 30
cue003
Apprentice

Is this a "it works" vs "is it supported"?

Just because something is not supported doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Message 17 of 30
astan
Aspirant

I know that the Orbi is technically meant as a mesh in-home system. However, because of my setup at work, we run a similar topology to that of an in-home system. 3 satellites is not going to cover my entire building. Would it be possible to add more Orbi routers with 3 satellites each? i.e. Floor 2 has one Orbi router and 3 satellites. So does floor 3. But that would mean they would all need their own SSID? part of my interest in the Orbi is the seamless handoff during wireless device roaming.

Message 18 of 30

satellites.JPG

Message 19 of 30

you must have a massive house to need to run the orbi router and 2 other sats indoors and then the garage one

you do understand that too much wifi isnt a good thing right , placement and location are the key to give the right overlap so clients will roam

Message 20 of 30
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice

Hey guys. So it appears you can defintely use more than 3(people are doing it in this thread currently), however if NETGEAR is mentioning that 3 is the number, don't be upset if an issue occurs at some point since they clearly are saying 3 here:). 

It doesn't hurt to hear people reporting success stories on the Orbi handling 4+ satellites and the fact that we haven't heard back from them. Sounds encouraging.

If you have a disposabal income it is certainly worth trying the Orbi with as many satellites as possible. I wouldn't see why you wouldn't. You can buy individual satellites for the Orbi as well. 

Message 21 of 30

I think i will make the 4th sat purchase soon. I really don't need it but i would like hardwire connections in my room. I haven't had any connection problems like as many people have reported. I check my sats online and physically everyday to make sure. All 3 sats work just fine. Just Updated to 1.9.1.12 today and everything looks the same as in no connection problems. Does anyone know where i can find the release notes from the new update. -Thanks-

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 22 of 30
JoshG
Guide

It still seems we're going on speculation here and some anecdotal reports.

It would REALLY be helpful if someone could show this screen from their system showing more than 3 satellites working properly.

Not that I doubt those who have posted here, just would like to see the technical screen showing it's actively handling 4+ satellites since some people may not realize if their 4th satellite is actually functioning or maybe just devices are connecting to one of the other 3 and not actually using the 4th.

Here's my screen showing 3 active satellites... can someone post one showing 4?

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 1.53.32 PM.png

Message 23 of 30
JoshG
Guide

@robbskittlesII wrote:

satellites.JPG

Thanks Rob, like mine, yours shows just 3 satellites.  I'm hoping you or someone else running 4 can show a screen like that showing 4 working satellites.  fingers crossed... let us know how it goes if you decide to try it!

Message 24 of 30

NETGEAR Router Orbi.pngNETGEAR Router Orbi (1).png

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 24 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7