Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What’s with all the buffering?

MyOrbiGear
Initiate

What’s with all the buffering?

I switched to the Orbi and got great results on internet speeds, almost double what i was receiving before, but I am also plagued with 4 times the buffering delays. I also have a shorter frequency length with Orbi. I have the RBROrbi50 with satellite and still half of my small home (40’x25’ main floor plan) is lacking internet. Is this a configuration issue and if so, what are the necessary tweaks I need? In my first test I went one floor up and stood directly above the Orbi and had one bar. I walked back, losing the signal and when I got within 18 feet of the main unit I start to get signal back. Is this a configuration error or a faulty product?
Message 1 of 5
Jgriesshaber
Tutor

Re: What’s with all the buffering?

The Orbi unfortunately has become the White whale. It is a unreliable system with terrible software and buggy firmware.

I would box it up and return it immediately.

The only system I have had success with is the Google WiFi (using OnHubs only) and the AiMesh options with select Asus routers.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 5
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Too many unknown variables to give you any kind of good answer. Do you live in a building or detached home? Are you trying to send signal through concrete and rebar? Did you test the router and satellite in a different configuration such as a test with them separated by about 30 feet with a reasonable clear line? Did you check on the GUI to see the condition of the backhaul? Did you check on attached devices to see how they were hooking up if at all? What is going on with the indicator rings when you install them? Have you downloaded the WiFi analyzer app (iOS or Android) to see what is happening to you signal strength when you move aroun (below -68db is practically worthless for streaming). 

Message 3 of 5
Jgriesshaber
Tutor

I meant the White Elephant...but MobyDick sort of works as an illustration to the battle to make the wifi work too....
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
tsig
Luminary

True for you, perhaps, but certainly not true for all.  You should caveat your blanket statements.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7