Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What will happen to satellites when disabling DHCP Server on Orbi Router (RBK53)

Kevin010
Aspirant

What will happen to satellites when disabling DHCP Server on Orbi Router (RBK53)

I'm going to use AdGuard Home as my local DNS server.

Since Orbi is unable to deliver DNS Server over DHCP, i want to turn of the DHCP server functionality on the Orbi Router and have the adguard home instance take over.

However, in my current setup, i see the satellites have aquired an IP address over DHCP as well. What will be the impact for my mesh network and reachability over IP to the individual satellites when i make this move?

Can i simply use the MAC-addresses of the satellites and make a reservation for them in my new DHCP server, or is there more to it and has Orbi/mesh some kind of other magic going on that is dependant on the internal DHCP server?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: What will happen to satellites when disabling DHCP Server on Orbi Router (RBK53)

You need to set AP mode if your going to disable DHCP server. THe RBS will loose there IP address and no long work to service devices correctly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 4
Kevin010
Aspirant

Re: What will happen to satellites when disabling DHCP Server on Orbi Router (RBK53)

Thanks @mfur , but the router admin page shows an option to disable the DHCP server. So i do not wish to put the Routre into AP mode, i still need routing to my WAN, i just don't want DHCP. You say, disabling DHCP implicitly sets the router into AP mode?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
sprog1033
Tutor

Hi Kevin010, you can disable the Orbi DHCP server in both router and AP mode. I have successfully tested both options. The satellites will just get an IP address from the new DHCP server. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7