Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WhatsApp messages not delivered

stuartjsmith
Guide

WhatsApp messages not delivered

We have found that when the Orbi is in router mode that WhatsApp messages to some devices are not delivered. The notification arrives on the phone saying “You may have new messages”, but the actual messages themselves cannot be delivered until the phone is disconnected from the WiFi. Switching the orbi to access point mode resolves the issue, but this is not really the solution that I want since I lose a lot of other functionality with this. The affected device is a Nokia TA-1012, but as above it works fine with orbi in AP mode or when it is connected to mobile data, any idea what could be causing this in router mode?
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
stuartjsmith
Guide

Oh my. Finally figured it out! My wife’s phone was incorrectly tagged as belonging to my children in the Circle parental control application, totally my fault! Assigning it back to her with no parental controls has fixed it, so sorry for wasting people’s time.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

It seems that your ISP router is acting as another router in the network.

If you want to keep Orbi in Router Mode you need to bridge your ISP Router, otherwise you have to have Orbi in AP Mode.

Please try to bridge the Router (check the ISP Router manual how to do it) so that you can keep Orbi in Router Mode and make use of all the Orbi Router functionality.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@stuartjsmith wrote:
We have found that when the Orbi is in router mode that WhatsApp messages to some devices are not delivered. The notification arrives on the phone saying “You may have new messages”, but the actual messages themselves cannot be delivered until the phone is disconnected from the WiFi. Switching the orbi to access point mode resolves the issue, but this is not really the solution that I want since I lose a lot of other functionality with this. The affected device is a Nokia TA-1012, but as above it works fine with orbi in AP mode or when it is connected to mobile data, any idea what could be causing this in router mode?

Message 3 of 9
stuartjsmith
Guide

It’s a Plusnet Hub One ( don’t have the exact model to hand at the moment as I am away). It looks like there is no bridge mode supported in it unfortunately, so i will give option 2 a go (option 3 works for me, but I lose router functionality such as parental controls). I think the other option would be to buy a cheap modem that does support bridge mode, thank you so much for all your help - I tried to go via support but actually got no response in several weeks!
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, give option 2 a try. WIll probably help it. 

It's preferred to get a modem only unit with no built in router, if your ISP supports those kinds of modem if your going to use a external router like Orbi. 

Good Luck. 

@stuartjsmith wrote:
It’s a Plusnet Hub One ( don’t have the exact model to hand at the moment as I am away). It looks like there is no bridge mode supported in it unfortunately, so i will give option 2 a go (option 3 works for me, but I lose router functionality such as parental controls). I think the other option would be to buy a cheap modem that does support bridge mode, thank you so much for all your help - I tried to go via support but actually got no response in several weeks!

Message 5 of 9
stuartjsmith
Guide

Ok, so replace the plusnet hub one with a net gear dm200, had no end of trouble setting this up but eventually have it functioning in modem only mode and have switched the router functionality back on on the Orbi, and still the same result! It only affects one phone, but it’s my wife’s and not getting WhatsApp messages is a real problem! Feeling quite frustrated 😞
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If other devices are working and the one app on the one phone isn't, there mabye a problem at the phone or with this app. 

You might try WhatsApp support to see if there is any information on why messages are not getting delivered. 

Try removing the app, hard reset the iphone, power pack on, then re-install the app. 

Try setting manual DNS on the Orib router to see if this helps, try 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9

Message 7 of 9
stuartjsmith
Guide

Oh my. Finally figured it out! My wife’s phone was incorrectly tagged as belonging to my children in the Circle parental control application, totally my fault! Assigning it back to her with no parental controls has fixed it, so sorry for wasting people’s time.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. I should have asked about Circle. Glad you got it working. Mark this as solved so others will know what to check for. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7