Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: When will Orbi support multicast?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

When will Orbi support multicast?

Any idea when Orbi will support multicast for IPTV? Currently YouView/BTTV won't work with Orbi in router mode. I saw a thread that had a post from Netgear Support on a German Amazon comments section that send end of January. I've not seen anything official though.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 18
FrancesH
Tutor

Definitely a gaping hole here. Just replaced my Linksys with ORBI. I've been tweaking Airplay for all of my appliances and stumbled into activating my Marantz 8802A that requires UDP Multicast active.

Hoping for Firmware upgrade very soon on this feature to be activated. Other than that, I am a happy camper with ORBI's performance, throughput, and stability. 

Look forward to hear the good news.

Message 2 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have checked and IGMP/IPTV support will be added in the next firmware on the router only.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's great news. Any idea when the next firmware is expected to be released?
Message 4 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I know its really soon do not want to give a date incase it gets pushed back.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 18
acapdu
Star

Will it be supported later by the satellite ?

Message 6 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The firmware update was released today. Will be testing it out shortly.

Message 7 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I still can't get BT TV or any multicast stream to work. I have the BT TV wired directly to the Orbi router. I have unticked "Disable IGMP Proxying" and have ticked "Support British telecom IGMP Proxying". I've rebooted everything several times.

Anyone get this working?

Message 8 of 18
FrancesH
Tutor

Same here. Unchecked disable IGMP Proxying, unplug and reset my Marantz 8802A. Still no dice. Airplay still not active on the Marantz alone. Other Apple devices are on.

The only variant here is the Marantz is direct to router and the rest are on WIFI. It was working fine with Linksys before, but it stopped working since Orbi was online.

Message 9 of 18
acapdu
Star

I tried and it works. Only issue is that streaming live TV channels from BT is not flawless. Especially in 4k there are too many interruptions for watching a football game even when I see 50Mbs available on fast.com from my mobile phone.

Message 10 of 18
chrza
Guide

The newest FW 1.5.0.12 should support IGMP Proxy!

http://kb.netgear.com/000037330/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-1-5-0-12

Message 11 of 18
st_shaw
Master

@acapdu wrote:

I tried and it works. Only issue is that streaming live TV channels from BT is not flawless. Especially in 4k there are too many interruptions for watching a football game even when I see 50Mbs available on fast.com from my mobile phone.

Are you are trying to stream 4K over WiFi? If so, you should really run an Ethernet wire to your TV.  4K video requires a lot of data and a stable connection, so it's not a great application for WiFi.

Message 12 of 18
acapdu
Star

yes I know but powerline didn't work so I thought let's give a go. It works but not enough stable. I should have put the BT plug at the correct place when I built the house...

Message 13 of 18
Hirrdgoon
Apprentice

The Orbi backhaul (if a strong connection) should be fast enough for 4k streams.

It depends on the content, as I am not sure what bandwidth is required for IPTV. For apps and streaming, it only needs 5-7 MB/s stable for a good 4k picture even with HDR.

I know this, as i am testing 4k HDR streams on my TV using a wired connection, youtuble stats for nerds states 5MB/s stream to produce the quality 4k HDR image.

Message 14 of 18
st_shaw
Master

@Hirrdgoon wrote:

The Orbi backhaul (if a strong connection) should be fast enough for 4k streams.

It depends on the content, as I am not sure what bandwidth is required for IPTV. For apps and streaming, it only needs 5-7 MB/s stable for a good 4k picture even with HDR.

I know this, as i am testing 4k HDR streams on my TV using a wired connection, youtuble stats for nerds states 5MB/s stream to produce the quality 4k HDR image.

Ok.  So the point here is @acapdu might see better results if he can wire his TV into one of the Orbi satellite LAN ports.  Not sure if this was tried or not.

Message 15 of 18
acapdu
Star

I have between 20-50 MBps but even when it's stable at 50MBps it doesn't work flawlessly. 

Message 16 of 18
acapdu
Star

of course the TV is wired to the satelitte. I bought it just for that.

Message 17 of 18
FrancesH
Tutor

UPDATE: The issue is resolved. Now Airplay streaming, the Marantz is online and available. A happy camper now.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7