Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Where are the device names located when in a telnet session?

gadget13
Aspirant

Where are the device names located when in a telnet session?

Several of us are having issues renaming devices on our network. I want to take the GUI out and go to the source via a telnet session. So my question is - where is the device name stored so that I can purge them and maybe manually set them outside of the GUI.

Ex:

MAC Address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Device Model Google Home Mini

Device Name Device Type  GOOGLE-HOME-MINI

Message 1 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Orbi is on firmware 3.5.0.38, there are a plethora of posts complaining that device tables are "broken".  I believe several of them tried the telnet method (and failed).  (I am often incorrect, but I recommend browsing through the posts that have 2.5.0.38 in the title.)

Message 2 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Upon reading the post again, my response seems a bit presumptuous.  It's not my place to tell someone "don't try that!!!"

There is a detailed post showing how to display what the Orbi has for device registrations, names, and types, and how to edit those into telnet commands to set them. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Quick-way-to-re-enter-your-IP-reservations-after-factory-reset... 

I actually maintain a Notepad++ file (linux, you know, not Windows) that has all my devices.  When I want to do a factory reset, I can enter all of my devices in one "copy and paste".

Fearing that 2.5.0.38 has "screwed the pooch" and my telnet file will no longer work, I am thinking seriously of sitting this one out.

Message 3 of 18
gadget13
Aspirant

Thanks for the post.

V2.5.0.38

This latest FW has done some very strange things when it comes to naming devices.

Ex: See below. This is how one device is listed. Most of the others are crazy named like this too.

It's also listed later with slightly different names and a different IP.

Philips hue bridge BSB002

Dell C1765nf Color MFP

Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

v38 has a problem of device naming and detection. NG is aware of it. If it doesn't work for you, you can revert back to last working FW. v38 doesn't effect other operations. 

v40 is available however this only fixes the invalid certifiicate problem that has been invalid since v30:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061393/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-0-40-Hot-Fix

Up to you if you want to apply it or not. 

Message 5 of 18
gadget13
Aspirant

Looks like the naming issues have been resolved with v2.5.0.40

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Really? Did you apply the v40 FW and continue or did you do a factory reset? Just curious here. 

@gadget13 wrote:

Looks like the naming issues have been resolved with v2.5.0.40

Message 7 of 18
gadget13
Aspirant

I simply applied the v40FW to the router and satelites.

After they reboot the device name duplication was gone and I was able to start setting names as I wanted.

Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome, thanks or letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@gadget13 wrote:

After they reboot the device name duplication was gone and I was able to start setting names as I wanted.

Message 9 of 18
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I manually updated my firmware from V2.5.0.38 to V2.5.0.40 to see if it would also fix the device naming issue.  It did for some devices, but others it will not allow me to change.  So the v40 hot fix did not resolve the device naming issue.  Note that I did not do a factory reset as it takes me hours to reconfigure the device manually.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 18
migsta
Apprentice

Netgear has abosolutely no clue whatsoever about how to fix this devices issue.  And, it may be because nobody at Netgear is in sync with respect to this issue existing.  Device renaming and devicy type selection is completey BROKEN at all levels and it exists with Orbi and RAXxxx series routers.  And, it has been there for several firmware level nows.  I've tried 3 fresh RBR50's and they all exhibit the devices issue so has nothing to do with resetting to factory default to fix it.  And, today I received a note from Netgear support to update to 2.5.0.30 to address my issue (unless he meant 2.5.0.40) which I see here as may or may not fixing the devices issue.  I'm at 2.5.0.38 and devices is broken there as it is broken on 2.5.0.30.  And, like I said in another post - they release 2.5.0.38 with updated device type selections as a feature of this release BUT device renaming and device type selection doesn't work - how would they have tested this as passed????

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You might give v40 a try and see if it works for you, if not you can always revert back. Won't know unless you try. 

I would factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch to give the new FW a chance to detect your devices correctly if you choose to give v40 a try. 

@migsta wrote:

Netgear has abosolutely no clue whatsoever about how to fix this devices issue.  And, it may be because nobody at Netgear is in sync with respect to this issue existing.  Device renaming and devicy type selection is completey BROKEN at all levels and it exists with Orbi and RAXxxx series routers.  And, it has been there for several firmware level nows.  I've tried 3 fresh RBR50's and they all exhibit the devices issue so has nothing to do with resetting to factory default to fix it.  And, today I received a note from Netgear support to update to 2.5.0.30 to address my issue (unless he meant 2.5.0.40) which I see here as may or may not fixing the devices issue.  I'm at 2.5.0.38 and devices is broken there as it is broken on 2.5.0.30.  And, like I said in another post - they release 2.5.0.38 with updated device type selections as a feature of this release BUT device renaming and device type selection doesn't work - how would they have tested this as passed????

Message 12 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@migsta wrote:

I'm at 2.5.0.38 and devices is broken there as it is broken on 2.5.0.30

Is this a typo?  I do not recall there being a "2.5.0.30".  I am on 2.3.5.30, and device naming works just fine.

Message 13 of 18
gadget13
Aspirant

This was all good until I logged in from my phone using the ORBI app. As soon as I did that the names all went to crap. Duplicates came back, names changed, etc. It was working just fine when I was only using the web interface on the PC.

It looks like there are multiple database entries for different names used at one time or another and when I used the phone app it started pulling from one of those.

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

It's possible this is a orbi app issue as well. 

If you don't use the app and just use the UI, do the device names remain correct if you get them back in a correct condition? 

@gadget13 wrote:

This was all good until I logged in from my phone using the ORBI app. As soon as I did that the names all went to crap. Duplicates came back, names changed, etc. It was working just fine when I was only using the web interface on the PC.

It looks like there are multiple database entries for different names used at one time or another and when I used the phone app it started pulling from one of those.

Message 15 of 18
gadget13
Aspirant

I haven't tried that.

Also having a new issue - two lockups on the router over the last two days with this firmware.

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you said that you didn't seem to do a factory reset after loading this version of FW, and now your seen these lock ups, I would give a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch a try. Something maybe getting hung up with the newer version of FW and some lingering older FW code may need to be cleared out. 

@gadget13 wrote:

Message 17 of 18
gadget13
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Since you said that you didn't seem to do a factory reset after loading this version of FW, and now your seen these lock ups, I would give a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch a try. Something maybe getting hung up with the newer version of FW and some lingering older FW code may need to be cleared out. 

@gadget13 wrote:

I did a factory reset which seems to have resored my router stability. The naming problems continue - what a mess.

It's really goofy to see things like one of my satellites listed as wirelessly connnected to my other satelite and both of them name the same thing. I can set my static assignments - and names - just fine. These do not, however, get reflected anywhere else. These firmware releases continue to name things whatever they want.

Oh well - it's on the internet, it routes my packets, and I can continue to do internety things 🙂 Nice work NETGEAR!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7