Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where to add network switch when using Orbi in AP mode?

Dropsofrain
Tutor

Where to add network switch when using Orbi in AP mode?

Hi Guys,

I currently have AT&T U-Verse fiber internet.  It came with a modem that has wireless router built in.  I also have the Orbi RBK50 system and a 16 port unmanaged switch that I use to feed ethernet throughout the house for wired connections.  

I'm looking for the ideal setup for my home network and have a few questions:

1.  I understand based on my setup that I should use the Orbi in AP mode, correct?

2.  Should I disable the wifi that is broadcast from the U-Verse modem?

3.  Where in this configuration should I place the network switch?  I understand that typically it would be modem > wireless router > switch.   There are 4 LAN ports on the back of them modem, so should I connect 1 of them to the orbi and another directly to the switch or should I connect modem > orbi > switch?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Where to add network switch when using Orbi in AP mode?

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@Dropsofrain wrote:

Hi Guys,

I currently have AT&T U-Verse fiber internet.  It came with a modem that has wireless router built in.  I also have the Orbi RBK50 system and a 16 port unmanaged switch that I use to feed ethernet throughout the house for wired connections.  

I'm looking for the ideal setup for my home network and have a few questions:

1.  I understand based on my setup that I should use the Orbi in AP mode, correct? You can yes. Or you could use the modems DMZ:

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop  

2.  Should I disable the wifi that is broadcast from the U-Verse modem? YES. ALL Radios. 

3.  Where in this configuration should I place the network switch?  I understand that typically it would be modem > wireless router > switch.   There are 4 LAN ports on the back of them modem, so should I connect 1 of them to the orbi and another directly to the switch or should I connect modem > orbi > switch? You can place the switch inbetween the main host modem/router and Orbi or even after the Orbi. 

What is the mfr and model# of this switch. Non Managed, non Smart and non Green Ethernet switches are recommended to use with Orbi systems.

Message 2 of 6
Dropsofrain
Tutor

Many thanks Furry.  I am told that my u-verse modem cannot be placed into bridge mode, so it looks like that leaves me with 2 options you are outlining:

2. configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode

3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

I am leaning toward option 3 for simplicity's sake.  Option 2 is a bit outside of my comfort zone, so would have to research the how-to.  Would do it if there's enough to gain.

My switch is a Netgear GS316 - unmanaged 16 port gigabit.  Assuming I am going with option 3 above, does it matter where I place the switch?  I seem to have 3 potential options:

1. Modem > Switch > Orbi

2. Modem > Orbi > Switch

3. Modem port 1 to Orbi, Modem port 2 to Switch

Thanks again for the feedback.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

#3 will work fine for you.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Dropsofrain
Tutor

Thank you Furry.  Just to be 100% clear, you're when you're saying option 3 will be fine you're referring to this option 3:

3. Modem port 1 to Orbi, Modem port 2 to Switch

Confirmed?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7