Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where to find all Mac Addresses

chronojinxiii
Follower

Where to find all Mac Addresses

Device: Orbi Router RBK50 (1 Router RBR60, 1 Satellite RBS50) Firmware: v2.1.2.18 (latest) How do I find all the mac addresses for both my Router and Satellite? and which one am I currently connected to? From what I understand (from other posts), there should be a Mac address for the 2.4GHz network, 5GHz network, 2.4GHz backhaul, 5GHz backhaul, and (correct me if i'm wrong) one for each ethernet port. There should also be mac address for 2.4GHz and 5GHz guest SSIDs.. but assuming Guest network is disabled, and we're not looking at backhaul addresses as these are dedicated for Orbi, and also ignoring the ethernet port mac addresses since we only see them when connected through to the specific ethernet port.. So then, we should be looking at 2 mac addresses (2.4GHz and 5GHz) per device, 4 total in my configuration (1 router and 1 satillite). I'm asking this is because I am using various tools (Android device using Netgear Orbi App, Wi-Fi SweetSpots, Wifi Analyzer, and Speedtest. PC I'm just logging in through orbilogin.com).. I am seeing various mac addresses but it isn't clear. From the router (Netgear Orbi app and orbilogin.com), I only see 1 mac address per device (router and satellite).. but shouldn't I have 2 mac addresses per device? From Wi-Fi Analyzer I can see 3 (for some reason, I only see 2 5GHz and 1 2.4GHz SSIDs). The Wi-Fi SweetSpots has been a really good app to test my Speed (Mbps) and Signal between my device and router.. I like using this method when analyzing my connection, but I am having a hard time confirming which device and which network I'm currently connected to.. Other Related Questions: 1) By chance, does anyone know how to forcefully connect (or select) to a specific network on a specific device? I understand that Orbi would automatically connect to the closest device (or with best signal) and prefer 5GHz over 2.4GHz (probably in most cases) as it would be faster.. but, say if I were monitoring/analyzing/testing each of my connections, I would like to do something like: If I was in position "x" in my house, I would like to specifically connect to network (either 2.4GHz, or 5GHz if range is available), on a specific device (either router or satellite, or different satellite if I had another one) so I can run the Wi-Fi sweetspot or speedtest to test the speed/signal. 2) Aside from the Apps that I am using, is there any other recommended apps I should be using instead? I would like to see all the available networks in my area (in my situation, should include both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks for both router and satellite devices), the signal, speeds, speed test between device and router, speed test between router and internet (some server), speed test between my device and internet (hop through router), and etc.. Would prefer official, stable, or recognized 3rd party apps (and free if possible) over unrecognized and flakey (or unreliable or inaccurate) apps.. Just to avoid the situation where if I'm reporting numbers/values to a netgear support staff, and they say "yeah that tool is not accurate, you should use this..." kind of thing.. so hoping to get the right tools to use. This post is pretty long, but I'm hoping that I can get a specific and accurate response. Being able to answer these questions should be able to help alot of people analyze/test their network. (There should be a standard procedure or set of instructions like this for testing or something.. sticky post for debugging)
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Where to find all Mac Addresses

On the routers web page under Advanced/Advanced Home it displays the router and Internet port MACs here. 

I see the Satellite MAC listed on the Connected Devices page there. I don't see where the MAC is for the two radios though either. 

Hmmm.

@chronojinxiiiwrote:
Device: Orbi Router RBK50 (1 Router RBR60, 1 Satellite RBS50) Firmware: v2.1.2.18 (latest) How do I find all the mac addresses for both my Router and Satellite? and which one am I currently connected to? From what I understand (from other posts), there should be a Mac address for the 2.4GHz network, 5GHz network, 2.4GHz backhaul, 5GHz backhaul, and (correct me if i'm wrong) one for each ethernet port. There should also be mac address for 2.4GHz and 5GHz guest SSIDs.. but assuming Guest network is disabled, and we're not looking at backhaul addresses as these are dedicated for Orbi, and also ignoring the ethernet port mac addresses since we only see them when connected through to the specific ethernet port.. So then, we should be looking at 2 mac addresses (2.4GHz and 5GHz) per device, 4 total in my configuration (1 router and 1 satillite). I'm asking this is because I am using various tools (Android device using Netgear Orbi App, Wi-Fi SweetSpots, Wifi Analyzer, and Speedtest. PC I'm just logging in through orbilogin.com).. I am seeing various mac addresses but it isn't clear. From the router (Netgear Orbi app and orbilogin.com), I only see 1 mac address per device (router and satellite).. but shouldn't I have 2 mac addresses per device? From Wi-Fi Analyzer I can see 3 (for some reason, I only see 2 5GHz and 1 2.4GHz SSIDs). The Wi-Fi SweetSpots has been a really good app to test my Speed (Mbps) and Signal between my device and router.. I like using this method when analyzing my connection, but I am having a hard time confirming which device and which network I'm currently connected to.. Other Related Questions: 1) By chance, does anyone know how to forcefully connect (or select) to a specific network on a specific device? I understand that Orbi would automatically connect to the closest device (or with best signal) and prefer 5GHz over 2.4GHz (probably in most cases) as it would be faster.. but, say if I were monitoring/analyzing/testing each of my connections, I would like to do something like: If I was in position "x" in my house, I would like to specifically connect to network (either 2.4GHz, or 5GHz if range is available), on a specific device (either router or satellite, or different satellite if I had another one) so I can run the Wi-Fi sweetspot or speedtest to test the speed/signal. 2) Aside from the Apps that I am using, is there any other recommended apps I should be using instead? I would like to see all the available networks in my area (in my situation, should include both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks for both router and satellite devices), the signal, speeds, speed test between device and router, speed test between router and internet (some server), speed test between my device and internet (hop through router), and etc.. Would prefer official, stable, or recognized 3rd party apps (and free if possible) over unrecognized and flakey (or unreliable or inaccurate) apps.. Just to avoid the situation where if I'm reporting numbers/values to a netgear support staff, and they say "yeah that tool is not accurate, you should use this..." kind of thing.. so hoping to get the right tools to use. This post is pretty long, but I'm hoping that I can get a specific and accurate response. Being able to answer these questions should be able to help alot of people analyze/test their network. (There should be a standard procedure or set of instructions like this for testing or something.. sticky post for debugging)

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Where to find all Mac Addresses

Found a little app called NetSpot that shows wireless MAC addresses. 

Also iStumbler is nice too. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7