Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Orbi Satellite to Buy?

Jimm9
Aspirant

Which Orbi Satellite to Buy?

Hi,

I have an RBR50 with two satellites that I picked up last year.  I have a rather large house (over 6000 sq ft) along with a 6 car garage outside.  I have one of the satellites about 45' and through 2 walls from the base unit.  They are both upstairs.  Beyond that and another 30' is the garage.  Connectivity is spotty on the second satellite so I just moved it closer today to that position.  The garage is really spotty.  Should I add another satellite in the garage or should I get one of the RBS50Y or can I get both to get the coverage I want?  I know you can only have 3 satellites but I believe the RBS50Y is a little different?  Does anyone else have a problem getting the satellites to stay connected at this distance?  I just upgraded the firmware yesterday to v2.5.1.16.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jim

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Which Orbi Satellite to Buy?

Either RBS50 or the RBS50Y. The Y is an outdoor unit so you can put it outside if you like. 

Message 2 of 9
Jimm9
Aspirant

Is the RBS50Y actually more powerful or is it basically the same thing?  I read that it penetrates walls better.  I can put it inside the garage if there is no benefit other than waterproofing.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the HW is the same, just an RBS50 inside a weatherproof case..

Message 4 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

Is the RBS50Y really the same as the indoor RBS50?  This review of the RBS50Y claims that it has 5G power is limited due to regulatory limits of outdoor applications: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3263384/netgear-orbi-outdoor-satellite-review.html

Orbi Outdoor’s 5G front-haul output power is much lower than its 2.4GHz radio due to the regulatory limit of outdoor application

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

That would be a FW difference. 

Message 6 of 9
Jimm9
Aspirant

What does "that would be the firmware difference" mean is there a way around it?
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

Message 8 of 9
pkgadd
Apprentice

As you mentioned, most countries differentiate for indoor- and outdoor use on the 5 GHz band in their regulations. Devices operated outdoors (regardless if they're meant to be used outdoor or just happen to be outside on a sunny afternoon) must adhere to the lower transmit powers allowed outdoors, I would expect that the RBS50Y as a dedicated outdoor devices is limited to those requirements.

Large parts of the 5 GHz band is shared with weather- and military radars, who are the primary users of these frequencies. For indoor devices, the regulatory body takes the attenuation of your outer walls into account and therefore allows higher transmit powers to be used indoors. This needs to be taken into account for devices that are operated outside, without this 'natural' attenuation taking place.

If you do actually mount an RBS50Y outside, I'd expect it to perform better than the overspill from an RBS50 set up inside and having to pass its signals through your external walls.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7