Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Orbi router to replace RBR50?

rbinplano
Follower

Which Orbi router to replace RBR50?

Howdy all, my two year old RBR50 has started randomly losing the internet connection. When this happens, I have to unplug it for hours/overnight, then it will fire up and work for a few days, then drop again. I've tried all of the troubleshooting I can find, but nothing, including factory reset and re-config has worked. Seems to be a hardware problem, so looks like I'll need to replace it. 

My question is; what can I replace it with? I want to keep using the two RBS50 satellites I already have, so do I just do another RBR50, or will one of the other/newer Orbi routers work with this system? If I go back with the RBR, it looks like Netgear now only sells them bundled with a RBS. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Which Orbi router to replace RBR50?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Would be another RBR50, RBR20 or RBR40. Orbi AX is not supporting of RBS50s on wifi. They only work on wired connection to Orbi AX. 

Message 2 of 4
vajim
Master

2 years is not long in the life of a router 

when and to what firmware are on?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@rbinplano wrote:

My question is; what can I replace it with? I want to keep using the two RBS50 satellites I already have, so do I just do another RBR50, or will one of the other/newer Orbi routers work with this system? If I go back with the RBR, it looks like Netgear now only sells them bundled with a RBS. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!

The only router that will work with the existing RBS50 satellites and have the highest 'backhaul' connection rate is another RBR50.  Otherwise, any Orbi 'residential' router (not Pro, not AX) will work with the two RBS50 satellites. I bought a used RBR50 on eBay and it works fine. If the easiest and least frightening purchase is a package of RBR50/RBS50, at least you will then have a spare satellite.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7