Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Orbi system is right for me?

Joboo7777
Apprentice

Which Orbi system is right for me?

Hello All,

First let me say thank you i advance for your support. I have done some searching on this forum but have not found enough information to make a decision on which Orbi setup to get. Hoping to get some recommendations from the many experts here.

Here are the details:
ISP: Spectrum Internet(Formerly Time Warner), 400/20
Modem: Netgear CM600
Router: ASUS AC3100 installed in Livingroom at back of house
Netgear EX6100 Extender: Installed near front entrance door.
No wired Backhaul option

Home Details:
3100 SQFT 2 story home, House is rectangular and is more deep than wide.
2nd Floor layout: 4 bedrooms/2 bath. Each room has a door that is usually closed. L shaped hallway at top of stairs that connects all rooms.
1st Floor Layout: Study ner front door, Open Kitchen/livingroom, masterbedroom downstairs toward back.
For the most part the floors are stacked on top of each other with the exception of the living room which extends out toward the back of our house with no room above. Living room and master bedroom are separated by a wall.

I have over 35-40 devices connected to my current network which includes a large number of Smart devices(Light Switches, Outdoor Cameras, Thermostats, locks, multiple Alexa devices, etc). We have a variety of iOS devices, MAC devices, and Windows devices. for the most part performance is VERY good. My biggest issue right now is providing more consistent higher throughout to the upstairs devices. My son has a gaming computer that usually connects ok but there are times when the service is poor. Same for the other upstairs devices. I have the EX6100 downstairs toward the very front of the house to service my 3 cameras outside the front door. The through put of the EX6100 is very poor and seems to be a limitation of the device itself.

I was thinking of getting the Orbi AC3000 tri-band with 2 AC 2200 sattelites. Placing Router where the ASUS is located, 1 Plugin Sat where the ex6100 is installed, and another Plugin in the upstairs hallways. I'm just concerned with performance of the Plugin sats. The other option I looked at was RBK50 Router/1 satellite system but if I go that route I'm not sure where I should put the satellite. I'm assuming it should go upstairs however I would think the best location would be somewhere in the hallway which does Not have a table in it for me to sit it on. I guess I can get a table or some sort of mount. I could also put the AC3000 Sat downstairs where the EX6100 is installed. Of the 2 solutions I'm trying to determine which will provide the best performance. If I'm going to spend the money I want to make sure the solution is optimal.

Anyway, I would love to hear some feedback on which direction I should go. I was hoping to go out today and pick the system up so any immediate help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Which Orbi system is right for me?

I would start here:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx

I have a 5000 sq ft home and have a 40 series Orbi, base router at one end of the home upstairs and just 1 satellite 40 feet in between at the other end. Stellar coverage and performance. 

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 4
Joboo7777
Apprentice

Thanks, I decided on the RBK50 mesh system. The setup was alittle flaky. I set it up, than there was a FW upgrade, went through that and the system didnt see to come up completely. Some clients were connecting. some not. I ended up doing a reset of both router and satelitte and went through the setup again. This time I didnt have an issue.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements