Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Orbi?

mrchrise
Aspirant

Which Orbi?

Hello, I have a standard fibre connection into the house (with Virgin Media) and currently running my computer in the office from a hardwire connection, having recently run a CAT7 connection.  I want to move the end point to an Orbi given reviews but I don't see the need to replace the main modem- is this possible - hardwire connection from Orbi access point - therefore connecting my laptop in the office (and surrounding area) via wireless?

Message 1 of 4

Re: Which Orbi?

@mrchrise wrote:

I want to move the end point to an Orbi given reviews but I don't see the need to replace the main modem- is this possible - hardwire connection from Orbi access point - therefore connecting my laptop in the office (and surrounding area) via wireless?

I'm not sure that I follow all that. Needs sentences to break the bits apart so that I can see what is going on.

As I understand it, the answer to the question "is this possible" is yes.

Here's what I have: modem>router>Orbi.

The Orbi connects to the router over Powerline Ethernet, effectively a wired connection.

The Orbi is in AP mode.

The unknown is your modem. Is it really a modem/router rather than a plan modem? If it is a modem/router, then the options are to put it into bridge (modem only) mode, or to put the Orbi into AP mode.

You do refer to "Orbi access point" but does that really mean AP mode?

This bit is puzzling:

@mrchrise wrote:

hardwire connection from Orbi access point - therefore connecting my laptop in the office (and surrounding area) via wireless?

What is hard wired to what? You can certainly use the LAN ports on an Orbi router to wire in a laptop.

But what about the connection between the Orbi and the modem? Isn't that what you want to use to wire the Orbi back to?

Like I said, I'm a bit confused. Maybe it is because I have been in quarantine for too long.

Message 2 of 4
mrchrise
Aspirant

Thanks for your response, @michaelkenward really appreciated.

I currently have a ISP router which I was hoping to retain, and then connect this to an Orbi to provide a better signal across the  house.  In this respect, wanted to know if I need to get an Orbi satellite or not.  I have not figured out whether I can set my router to a different mode or not, but will certainly check!
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@mrchrise wrote:

Hello, I have a standard fibre connection into the house (with Virgin Media) and currently running my computer in the office from a hardwire connection, having recently run a CAT7 connection.  I want to move the end point to an Orbi given reviews but I don't see the need to replace the main modem- is this possible - hardwire connection from Orbi access point - therefore connecting my laptop in the office (and surrounding area) via wireless?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7