Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which SSID do I connect to on my ORBI

Mitchw18
Aspirant

Which SSID do I connect to on my ORBI

Hello,

I've successfully setup my ORBI and so far am very pleased.  I successfully changed the SSID to my current SSID and now I have two identically named SSIDs.  Both work when I connect to them, but is there a difference between the two?  Is one of them 2.4 and the other 5 ghz?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

MW

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
MarkC1024
Luminary

You should just see the single SSID setup via the Orbi router, not duplicates per frequency.  Do you have another router still broadcasting that SSID or did you setup a guest network with the same name?

Message 2 of 5
Mitchw18
Aspirant

I do have another wireless router, but it uses a different SSID.  I named the ORBI guest SSID differently as well.  It's very odd that I'm seeing two identical named SSIDs and they both work using the same password that I assigned.  I'm going to re-install and see if that clears it up.  Thank you for the response, Mark.

Message 3 of 5
wanderoldies
Aspirant

If you have the Satellite too close to your Router you will see two with the same SSID because the Satellite uses the same SSID as the Router. Try moving the Satellite a lot further away from your Router and then you should see only one SSID to log in to. If you log in near your Router, then if you move closer to the Satellite it will automatically switch over to the Satellite without you ever noticing a thing. It would be seemless. Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

You said, "It's very odd that I'm seeing two identical named SSIDs and they both work using the same password that I assigned. "

Well, that's how the system is supposed to work!  You enter the single SSID and password on your mobile device, then your mobile device connects to the the best signal (either 2.4G or 5G) on either the router or the satellite as you move around, depending upon where you are located relative to the Orbi components.  If you are close you get 5G.  If you move far away you get 2.4G.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7