Reply
Aspirant

Which Wifi should I be using?

I don’t seem to be getting the results I would have thought (please see picture) also am I supposed to connect to the new WiFi network only and not my original one....? I guess I thought all things WiFi in my home would be fast but right now I’m not seeing anything noticeable...


Oh, am I supposed to hook smart home devices to my original WiFi network or the new one by Orbi? Lastly I thought I’d see theee different networks not just one?

Help please!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
Guru

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?

Disable all old wifi and use the new from the Orbi...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 10
Master

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?

.... and also all router functionality in your old router should be disabled, if you want to get optimal Orbi performance

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 3 of 10
Guru

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.


@Fwilliams wrote:
I don’t seem to be getting the results I would have thought (please see picture) also am I supposed to connect to the new WiFi network only and not my original one....? I guess I thought all things WiFi in my home would be fast but right now I’m not seeing anything noticeable...


Oh, am I supposed to hook smart home devices to my original WiFi network or the new one by Orbi? Lastly I thought I’d see theee different networks not just one?

Help please!

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 10
Aspirant

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?

Thanks much, based on your reply I will just go ahead and pack this baby up and take it back... I thought it would be a bit more user friendly... just don’t have the time or energy to learn it... I know this is an Orbi forum but are there any options that are more plug and play ready?

Thanks again for your help...
Message 5 of 10
Master

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?


@Fwilliams wrote:
Thanks much, based on your reply I will just go ahead and pack this baby up and take it back... I thought it would be a bit more user friendly... just don’t have the time or energy to learn it... I know this is an Orbi forum but are there any options that are more plug and play ready?

Thanks again for your help...

You will get the same issues with any other router. If you have conflicts in the radio network settings or in the routing functionality you will see similar issues with any other product.

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 6 of 10
Aspirant

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?

Thanks much, are there any other instructions for this stuff... I didn’t see all of this in the instructions anywhere?
Message 7 of 10
Guru

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?

Try the suggestions. If you want the orbi to work with another host router, then user AP mode. Thats simple to configure on the Orbi. 

Try suggestion #3. 

 


@Fwilliams wrote:
Thanks much, based on your reply I will just go ahead and pack this baby up and take it back... I thought it would be a bit more user friendly... just don’t have the time or energy to learn it... I know this is an Orbi forum but are there any options that are more plug and play ready?

Thanks again for your help...



My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 8 of 10
Aspirant

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?

When I disable the router and WiFi stuff will that impact my cable as I’m on AT&T U-verse?
Message 9 of 10
Guru

Re: Which Wifi should I be using?

No, once you disable wifi on the ATT router, and get the Orbi setup in AP mode behind the ATT router, just connect ALL devices to the ORbi. You can even use the same SSID name and PW on the Orbi if you want too. Just disable ALL wifi on the ATT router is all. 


@Fwilliams wrote:
When I disable the router and WiFi stuff will that impact my cable as I’m on AT&T U-verse?

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1459 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements