Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which devices do I buy Outddor Satellite

KMWNAZ
Tutor

Which devices do I buy Outddor Satellite

I am looking to install an RBS50Y Outdoor  Satellite.  I am pretty sure I read that I can only connect it to an Orbi Router.   Which one do I buy? 

So far all I seem to find are Kits including the router and an indoor satellite.  For my needs, it's a small room, I think the router will give enough of a signal to be enough for the immediate area so I am really looking only to extend it to the outside and only need the router. Appreciate Suggestions

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hopefully this helps:

Yes, the Outdoor Orbi (RBS50Y) is only sold as a stand-alone, meaning that you have to purchase an Orbi Router from elsewhere.  A couple of suggestions:

1.  purchase a kit that contains an Orbi Router (e.g. RBK50 / RBK30 /...) and sell off the extra satellite on a 2nd hand site (e.g. eBay, ...) 

2.  purchase the Router online in a 2nd hand site.  I occasionally see people who have purchased 2 kits, to acqure just the satellites and the Router becomes extra.  

FYI, from a purely performance perspective, the RBR50 is the best matched because it's the only Orbi Router that has a 4x4 backhaul.  

I will take this back and see if we can create a kit for those like you.

Orbi Product Management

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 2 of 14
KMWNAZ
Tutor

Not really.   I ONLY want to extend to the outside.  All of the ORBI systems I see seem to include and INDOOR satellite. and a router  I would only require the router. 

Message 3 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@KMWNAZ wrote:

Not really.   I ONLY want to extend to the outside.  All of the ORBI systems I see seem to include and INDOOR satellite. and a router  I would only require the router. 

OK....but I'll stay confused.  You said..."I am looking to install an RBS50Y Outdoor  Satellite"....but then you said ..."I would only require the router"

Message 4 of 14
KMWNAZ
Tutor

I don't mean to be misleading.  If you look on Netgear's web site it appears to me that they ONLY sell  ORBI routers WITH an INDOOR satellite.   I only want an OUTDOOR satellite and I believe in order to use the OUTDOOR satellite it requires an ORBI ROUTER.  

So going back to my first sentence - Netgear appears to only sell routers with INDOOR satellites which I don't need.  So I am trying to confirm all of this.  

Make sense?

Message 5 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@KMWNAZ wrote:

I don't mean to be misleading.  If you look on Netgear's web site it appears to me that they ONLY sell  ORBI routers WITH an INDOOR satellite.   I only want an OUTDOOR satellite and I believe in order to use the OUTDOOR satellite it requires an ORBI ROUTER.  

So going back to my first sentence - Netgear appears to only sell routers with INDOOR satellites which I don't need.  So I am trying to confirm all of this.  

Make sense?

Sure, it makes sense.  Not being a NG product guru I'm not sure they have what you want, but they might. Unless you're trying to connect something out on the north forty of your farm, I would get one of the NG router/sat packages.  Most of them will provide wifi coverage up to 4K sq feet or more.  Good luck.

Message 6 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct. Netgear's ORBI system of products consists of a central host device (set up either as a "router" or as an "access point") and one or more satellites.  (Yes, a person can install only the central device, but that sort of defeats the whole purpose of ORBI.)  All of the ORBI satellites, including the outside model, only function when they connect to the host device.

What you appear to want is a weatherproof WiFi access point (to mount outside) that connects wirelessly to your modem or router inside the house and NOT to an ORBI host inside the house.  Those products exist.  Of course, they have different characteristics than an ORBI system (separate SSID's, no seamless handoff, etc.)

Sorry if I have misunderstood.

Message 7 of 14
KMWNAZ
Tutor

Well, actually what I would want in an ideal world is an ORBI system that consists of the OUTDOOR  satellite and an ORBI router.   It appears they do not sell that system though.

I am not trying to connect the OUTDOOR to a non-ORBI router.  I just don't need the additional INDOOR satellite that accompanies the systems I see online.   

Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@KMWNAZ wrote:

Well, actually what I would want in an ideal world is an ORBI system that consists of the OUTDOOR  satellite and an ORBI router.   It appears they do not sell that system though.

I am not trying to connect the OUTDOOR to a non-ORBI router.  I just don't need the additional INDOOR satellite that accompanies the systems I see online.   

but I have to ask....what is it that you're trying to connect outdoors?

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

This would not work for you?

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs50y.aspx

@KMWNAZ wrote:

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This would not work for you?

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs50y.aspx

@KMWNAZ wrote:

what?....so i took the OP's recommendation and went to the NG website.  The RBS50y is a 'ADD-ON' and a Orbi router is required as in the Orbi is considered a SYSTEM and the router can not be purchased separately..  Nice

Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@KMWNAZ wrote:

I am looking to install an RBS50Y Outdoor  Satellite.  I am pretty sure I read that I can only connect it to an Orbi Router.   Which one do I buy? 

So far all I seem to find are Kits including the router and an indoor satellite.  For my needs, it's a small room, I think the router will give enough of a signal to be enough for the immediate area so I am really looking only to extend it to the outside and only need the router. Appreciate Suggestions

Maybe this is what you need....

https://www.engeniustech.com/engenius-products/outdoor-wireless-bridge-ens202/

Message 12 of 14
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hopefully this helps:

Yes, the Outdoor Orbi (RBS50Y) is only sold as a stand-alone, meaning that you have to purchase an Orbi Router from elsewhere.  A couple of suggestions:

1.  purchase a kit that contains an Orbi Router (e.g. RBK50 / RBK30 /...) and sell off the extra satellite on a 2nd hand site (e.g. eBay, ...) 

2.  purchase the Router online in a 2nd hand site.  I occasionally see people who have purchased 2 kits, to acqure just the satellites and the Router becomes extra.  

FYI, from a purely performance perspective, the RBR50 is the best matched because it's the only Orbi Router that has a 4x4 backhaul.  

I will take this back and see if we can create a kit for those like you.

Orbi Product Management

Message 13 of 14
tsig
Luminary

I would be willing to purchase the satellite.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7