Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which external satellite con use with Orbi 20?

PaoloIT
Follower

Which external satellite con use with Orbi 20?

I just bought the kit of a router + 2 satellite, and making few test to find the best position, looking for solutions for the several device I own , that need to be linked. I was thinking to extend the wifi also on the garden, I would like to know which satellite/extender I could use, keeping the orbi functionality.

The velocity seems very good respect the old router, I only don't understand how I need to configure the router to make the devices switch between different satellites while I walk.

Tnx

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Any satellite will work with the RBR20.  There is no benefiti from purchasing a satellite with higher bandwidth (like the RBS50) because it will reduce speed to work with the RBR20.  I would suggest RBS20 satellite.

When you say "Patio", please be aware that only one Orbi satellite is designed to mount outdoors.  I, personally, cover my patios with Orbi satellites located on the outside wall of rooms next to the patios. (small patios)

Message 2 of 4
ekhalil
Master

RBS50Y is currently the only available outdoor Orbi Satellite.
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@PaoloIT wrote:

The velocity seems very good respect the old router, I only don't understand how I need to configure the router to make the devices switch between different satellites while I walk.

Mesh systems are designed to allow devices to transition from one Orbi to another. There is nothing the user must do.  (There is also nothing the user "can" do.  It is up to the device to learn that a different AP has a better signal.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7